Register now to get rid of these ads!

1953 dodge meadowbrook

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jon83, Jan 8, 2014.

1. jon83

jon83

So im a little late at adding pictures and starting a forum or blog regarding the build progress. I have done a hand full of changes to this car since ownership and i guess i will try to chronicle changes for the future and catch up with some old pictures..

1953 dodge meadowbrook..i think. maybe some coronet. 1974 nova sub frames, 350 chevy, 700r4 trans. Air ride. 4 link, posi traction, 600cfm holley carb.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  2. F.C.Fury

F.C.Fury

Kool! Did you convert that ac unit or did you have someone else do it?

3. jon83

jon83

more stuff.. cut out and recessed license plate... repaired half of the rust to the trunk area..learning as i go btw.

Attached Files:

4. jon83

jon83

i used a york 207 "mini" ac compressor and tapped the exhaust and hard lined it back to the tank. You have to kinda fab your own bracket.. nothing commercially available.

5. F.C.Fury

F.C.Fury

Thanks for the info! Dont you have to do something to keep the compressor oiled?

6. jon83

jon83

Currently working on shaving the door handles, updating the latches to bear claw latches.. so i dont have to slam the doors repeatedly to get it to stick. so far...the passenger side. I have yet to finish filling in the hole where the pin is now. Also some shots of the door panels i made with a grinder and a cheapo bead roller.

Attached Files:

7. jon83

jon83

yes.. if you take the top of the compressor off, somewhere.. cant really remember at the moment, you plug a oil return hole 1/8 in i think. I have a oil/water trap just before the tank.. and you have to drain it once in a while.. looks like snot. Just keep it oiled once in a while and it works like a charm. IMO.. a quieter than electric pumps and is faster. ( i still have an electric one for back up and i have a shut off valve to the engine one)..just is case

8. jon83

jon83

actually its a 206 york... minor typo

9. F.C.Fury

F.C.Fury

Right on, thanks man!

10. jon83

jon83

ok one more post for today.. the updated hood.
    for a while i had a hood that had major rust in a sort of compound curve area..beyond my scope of knowledge on how to repair. First i just did fiberglass and bondo-- i know, some are shaking their heads now im sure. But i finally found a hood, filled some of the factory holes, pounded out some dents. At least it was ALL metal and NO rust. I still have the old one, pictured, and may try to practice repairing it the right way...perhaps louver it? The new one i put a spide web design in the factory hole in front.

Attached Files:

11. coronetfreak

coronetfreak

nice work. i have a 53 dodge coronet almost exactly like that.

12. jon83

jon83

nice, the chevy version of this year seems to be more popular with some. But this car has grown on me.

13. jon83

jon83

This is the domino effect of changing the drum brakes up front to discs.

Had to re-do the shock mounts due to the calipers hitting the previous location of bottom mount. I ended up making my own bottom mount and placing the shock in front of the control arm.

Attached Files:

14. jon83

jon83

So i fixed the flex a lite mohave heater today..finally. Seems to be a common problem with the fan or fans coming off the shaft and making a horrible grinding noise. Looks like they were just pressed on.

Turns out one was slipping and i just glued it back on.. good luck getting this lil B back together once apart if you have to do it too. At least i managed to fix it without having to undo the water lines. sorry for the one crappy photo, i guess i moved.

The trick to getting one of these split open is to remove all the clips with a screw driver, then unscrew the two screws holding it together and the two screws that are by the water intake/out.

Attached Files:

15. Rob68

Rob68

I was not familiar with this car until now, I like what I'm seein'. Nice work.

16. jon83

jon83

17. jon83

jon83

..the latest engine shot and junk in the trunk. And the finished passenger door latch minus the manual emergency latch.

Attached Files:

18. rockabilly-medic

rockabilly-medic

It must be an EMS thing.. I have a 54 Dodge Royal.. And also I am a paramedic..

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

19. jon83

jon83

NICE!.. it must be. I like the bare metal look.

Do you or anyone else know what the original mirrors looked like.. im thinking only one side mirror on the driver side like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SINGLE-...dge|Model:Coronet&hash=item1c3addc7b4&vxp=mtr
    but im not sure..

20. coronetfreak

coronetfreak

I like the metal look too. Here is my 53 coronet I'm working on

21. jon83

jon83

I don't see any pics besides your avatar.

22. jon83

jon83

So I had to driver side door panel off while doing the shaved door/new latches, and I didn't see any evidence of a driver side mirror on the door.. no filled holes, bondo, weld marks.. nothing. The trim holes have been filled on the lower half.

23. jon83

jon83

More work on the shaved door handles/door solenoids. had to redrill the holes for the latch to make the door close further. The pin side is as far back as i could put it. And with some more hammering and opening/closing of the door 500 times, everything is lined up.

Attached Files:

24. jon83

jon83

more progress on the driver side door.

Attached Files:

25. jon83

jon83

Done with the driver side door for now. now on to the mirrors. I purchased some swan neck mirrors to bolt on.

Attached Files:

26. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

27. jon83

jon83

a proper mirror with out the paint/metal gouge marks in the door from the bolt on peep mirrors.

Attached Files:

28. tattoos by brandon

tattoos by brandon
    from salem ohio

Love it ...I had a 52 but it was a more door and really rough but I drove it every day for a year without any real problems

29. jon83

jon83

Anyone have any thoughts or ideas on a third brake light. I was thinking something 50's-60's. .. something that seems like it would have been original if no one knew any better. I know it wouldn't be original, but I like to be safe as well.

30. coronetfreak

coronetfreak

How about a Harley davidson oval tail light for that era