Register now to get rid of these ads!

Re: 1940 Ford Tudor Deluxe Heater

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Choptop79, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Choptop79

Choptop79

Hello everyone.
    I'm just wondering if the below heater is a stock Ford heater or if it is an aftermarket item. I checked quickly the last time i seen the car and I did not see any names or logos on the piece. It will most likely need some parts to get it back operational again and I'm wondering where I would find them. A quick look online turned up a wide variety of styles, some mentioning them as a Ford accessory and some mentioning that they were aftermarket so I thought I would turn here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thank you,
    Thomas

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

looks like Ford to me. might not be the correct one for a 40 though.

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Damn near...that's a '41 Ford heater!

4. Choptop79

Choptop79

5. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

I think so...do some searching on Ford Barn V8. You also need a switch that is different from any of the '41-48, and you need to figgerout differences from '39 (the first hot water heater from Ford), which is similar. I think you may also locate drilling templates there.
    The '41 is identified by the little pull-out knob for defroster butterflies, which was replaced by a cable up to switch plate after 1941.

6. Choptop79

Choptop79

I may leave this one in the car. It's installed and works, and has been in there since at least 1957. I may try to locate a 1940 one, but won't empty my pocket book to do so. Thanks for the information.

7. Choptop79

Choptop79

Just realized that I wrote Heather instead of Heater. if someone could fix that it would be great.

8. Scott De Shields

Scott De Shields

I believe that the 39 heater had louver grill between the two doors because of the floor shift.

9. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Thought I would be looking at the rusty remains of an exhaust heater, glad to see you have hot water heater, regardless of make or manufacturer.

10. The colors on it make me think it is a stewart warner one ?

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Don't know who manufactured the '41 filter in the car, but it is a proper Ford accessory one from 1941. The basic design (with mods as noted) was used '41-48 and came in various colors and stripings to match standard and deluxe cars and different years.
    Fan is between core and defroster manifold, reversible with 2 speeds in each direction.
    I rebuilt one for my '48 and nearly went mad figuring out the wiring for that!

12. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why don't you. Just hit the edit button on your post, make the change and save . :)

13. Choptop79

Choptop79

I had tried that at first, but did not realize that I had to click the "advanced" button to edit the title.

Thanks

14. Aquaroscoe

Aquaroscoe

I thought to only difference between 39 & 40 was the door pull color. They can me ran with the 41+ switches, I think they are better than the 39s

15. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

As mentioned above, the heater shown is a 41-48 Ford dealer installed accessory item which was very common in the day. Here is the correct heater for a 39/40 Ford. They both work good.

Attached Files:

16. Choptop79

Choptop79

I was able to track down a 39-40 heater complete and at a reasonable price. I like the style of the 39-40 much better. May donate this heater to my Father's Model A build. Thank you everyone for your help.

-Thomas