Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features Style of the Steering Knob

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. seatex

seatex

I'm thinking "what a great opportunity for the Atomic Industry to put out some limited run H.A.M.B. knobs! (You listnin', Ryan???):cool:

3. Olds Dad

Olds Dad

Growing up I always remember seeing them and thought they were more of a novelty - now I can't imagine driving my '55 Olds without one - pulling into a parking space takes about 14 revolutions!

4. flamingokid

flamingokid

I'd buy one.Btw Jay,the swirled opaque plastic you're referring to as Bakelite is actually Catalin,which is only similar to Bakelite with respect to the era in which they were popular.

5. LAROKE

LAROKE

I managed to pick up one of these as bling for my '37 over Christmas.

[​IMG]

6. Had one on a lawn tractor when I was a kid, never found a need for one on a car!

7. This came on a full '30 A chassis I picked up a while back....

[​IMG]

8. The forklift that I haul on the back of my dump trailer has one, I use it all the time. Having one on a rod or kustom has never appealed to me, though.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Never had one on a car and probably never will but the ones on the tractors here on the farm sure were handy when I was raking hay for hours on end when I was in my teens.

10. For whatever reason those things are illegal in Virginia. Won't pass safety inspection unless you are handicapped. Go figure. :rolleyes:

11. Seriously??? Brodie knobs on rods and customs? Not on the West Coast.

12. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

I only ever knew them as "neckin' knobs"....cool read per usual Jive. And, love to see a pic of the real deal Laroke, pretty bitchin!

13. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

we had them on tractors and farm trucks when I was a kid--"suicide" knobs--would hurt you if the wheel started to spin in a field--the one pictured on the A wheel is on the outside--more of a hazard

14. LAROKE

LAROKE

Plastic is gone as well as the trim but the spinner bearings are good and it spins freely. Also, hub splines are the same as the '46 chevy truck column that is in my pickup. I'm gonna wrap the rim with rubber, then cover that with a leather wheelskin.

[​IMG]

15. Fenders

Fenders

Yep they are illegal in some states. I had one once, made for handicapped or one-armed drivers, with the maker's name on it...

Here are some:
    http://www.mobilityworks.com/spinner-knobs.php

Maybe if you had a doctor's prescription for one it would be OK? :)

16. catdad49

catdad49

Had one on my '42 Ford coupe when I bought. The car's gone, but still got the knob!

17. I know a couple people who use them, but I'm leery of having something on the wheel that might break my fingers. Racing stock cars, the first thing you learn is to keep your fingers away from the spokes.....I imagine the knobs would be even more dangerous. :)

18. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  19. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

20. the bulk of the unit should be mounted towards the center of the wheel ... most of the better ones fold over for use only when needed....

21. Greasyman

Greasyman

Afaik it's a myth that they are illegal: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brodie_knob I had one on a '66 Dodge van with manual steering. The best thing about it was that it looked cool. There's no real leverage advantage to having one, it didn't make it easier to drive, and it got in the way sometimes. They make some that fold down out of the way, I suppose most people use them only for parking, when the steering gets really heavy. I do like they look of them, they're a fun, old timey car thing.

22. Had one on my 49 Merc back in 65 or 66. Made it much easier to turn a corner in the city so I didn't have to take my right arm from around my girl ( who is now my wife of 45 years ). I Always joked that the Merc. steering was about 65 turns lock to lock. I also had one on my 47 Ford coupe but never used it, ( we were married by then ):D.

23. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had one on my car back in the early-'60's and they were illegal at the time (New York State).

24. hilltopgaragede

hilltopgaragede
    from Delaware

Got on on my A, works nice when parking.

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389141534.024200.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

25. ShortyLaVen

ShortyLaVen

They do get in the way sometimes, but I think they're just as equally handy as they are inconvenient... I love the one in my Packard, even if it is a kinda cheap one from Moon or where ever (it was a gift from a friend). As mentioned, its good for parking and taking corners with your arm around your girl, or holding your coffee.. plus it looks neat and prompts a lot of old-timers to share stories of when they were young punks, and that's worth all the busted knuckles in the world :D

[​IMG]

26. seatex

seatex

27. meyetoys

meyetoys
    from New York

I have one on my snow plow truck. It makes it a lot easier to turn when you're
    shifting from forward to reverse & raising & lowering the plow. Put it on a couple
    years ago & wouldn't do with out it now. It also reminds of a friend who gave it
    to me who is no longer with us.

28. birdman1

birdman1

my grandpa (in 1955) had a Hollywood red spinner knob and a blue Hollywood spinner knob , 180* apart, on his immaculate 1947 Ford deluxe 2-door. It was dark blue, beautiful car. sure miss him. I have identical knobs for my soon to-be completed 1939 Ford deluxe coupe hot rod)

29. Flip a lever on mine and it folds down... no broken fingers and out of the way.