Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical banjo spring mount question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Texas Webb, Jan 7, 2014.

1. I've got a 46 ford truck rear for my model a and want to mount the spring transverse.I see the
    Pete&Jakes and Speedway mounts.Does anyone have a preference
    on either one.Thanx.

2. Timberbeast

Timberbeast

Why not just replace the truck axle housings with passenger housings? I made the swap on my car. 46, 47 ,48 housings will work with your 47 Axles.

3. Are'nt those spring behind mount?I would like to keep the spring on top of
    axel but that could be an option.Thanx.

4. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

If you want the spring on top your best bet is to go with aftermarket weld-on perches from any one of the suppliers.

Before you weld..... I'd make sure I pulled the hubs and had a look at the bearing surfaces on the housings. If they're worn on the bottom (minor pitting..) but the top side still looks good you can swap them side to side or rotate them to get a better surface on the load (bottom) side of the race.

5. You can use Model A perches cut off a Model A rear end, retain the top two backing plate holes as part of it and use a 1" spacer to mount it on a '46 - '48 rear end. Just have the backing plate, then axle tube end, then spacer, then the Model A perch and then your nut. You will need longer bolts.

You also will need to use a spacer on the bottom for the shock mount if using original shock mounts. Just get a center to center or outside of perch to outside of perch measurement and copy it, but on that particular rear end 1" spacer for each side will do the job.

Here is a pic of mine done in that fashion. I've seen people bolt the perch onto an earlier diff but never on a later one, so i had to figure the spacer lengths myself.

The spacers are just mild steel, 1/2" inside diameter and i made the outside diameter 25mm, and 1" long as above.

[​IMG]

6. Markusohreallyus

Markusohreallyus

I like the way 28A did it, but did mine awhile back using speedway's weld-on plate/perch, which was plenty high enough off the axle to reverse the eyes on the A spring

7. Paul Windshield

Paul Windshield

I used the Pete's and Jake's, worked great for me.

8. I traded my 31 rearend for the back of a 30 tudor,but the perch mounts
    were wollered out any way.If the speedway and pete&jakes mounts
    are tig welded on do they need any extra support?gussets etc.I wish
    I could find a model a rear,just hate to cut something useable.Thanx
    to all replies,Webb.