Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features The Art and Allure of N.O.S.

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jive-Bomber, Dec 31, 2013.

1. big M

big M

I used to go to some of the older car dealerships in the mid eighties, and ask if they had obsolete stock they would sell. Most gave the answer, " anything not returned was discarded, but a few times, the parts manager would let me clean a back room out for a nominal fee, as the stuff was just in their way. Mostly '50's through '70's items, few older.

Lots of these parts were actually 'Take-Offs', meaning they were on a car for a short while, and replaced, like mirrors with cracked glass, electric parts that a mechanic had warranteed as defective, and trim the customer requested removed. Always check the part carefully if advertised as N.O.S. and look for signs that screws were tightened against the part, especially if the seller is wanting top dollar.

I've still got a bit of this stuff left in my building.

---John

Attached Files:

2. guffey

guffey

guffeystuff 011 (2).jpg

guffeystuff 037.jpg

A couple of interesting nos pieces. The RC is what the Holman Moody A/FX mustangs used with the SOHC 427.

3. Eric H

Eric H

I also have the NOS bug. I'm not sure what it is about these parts, maybe it's the closest I can get to time travel. NOS sheet metal really turns my crank.

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Over the years I've bought multiple NOS parts for my 46 Olds ranging from instructions, dealer posters as well as trim. Not cheap once sent here but I wanted them. The internet has made the world a smaller place. Being at the right place at the right time and knowing what you need helps.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

NOS does refer specifically to unused new factory parts in factory boxes, bags or other packaging, or without packaging.
    NORS, R for replacement, refers to specifically to unused non-factory brand new parts in original packaging, or without, BUT these replacemnt parts are the ones with the great artwork and interesting logos, etc.

The odd habit of dealership and independent garage mechanics putting used parts into the boxes of the new parts is one I often wondered about. An old mechanic told me it was simply convenient and a customer might want to see the replaced parts. Funny how that stuff often found its way back into the stock bins.
    No one I know has not bought used up stuff in new boxes when buying a quantity deal. One of the best was a friend who bought about 75 radiators in the box in a small Texas town west of Houston. Yes, he only paid $5 a radiator but he only got 15 or 20 new radiators, the rest were rotten, crashed, fanswept, etc.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  6. scotts52

scotts52

I've seen people use NORS to refer to New Original Restored Stock. I guess meaning that somehow the part was less than perfect or slightly damaged and so it was restored. Seems to me that's as good as used at that point.

7. Fedcospeed

Fedcospeed

My buddies 30 years ago thought I was a nut for buying all the stuff for my 47 Olds when the car was itself in really good shape sheet metal wise.Back then I found NOS bumpers,side trim,hood ornament,skirt emblems,grill,tail lights,steering wheel,radiator support,and ALL bolt on sheet metal(doors,fenders,hood).All of it is on the car and the old stuff is stored.GM wrappers too
    I would never find it these days.I spent my whole paycheck on parts,beer and the like back then and will never regrete it.When you see that part,grab it!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  8. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I think people who lived through the depression tended to save everything, including used parts, just in case they needed them someday.

My grandfather had an auto shop and saved used nuts and bolts, even stripped and worn ones. Today I have his old stuff in coffee cans and metal trays. Can't tell you how many times I dig in there and save myself a trip to the hardware store.

9. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

A lot of people think "NOS" means the part is perfect. Not necessarily true. Many times there is a reason the NOS part is still around, it was passed over many, many times because the nicer part on the shelf was used. Plus, you may have a NOS part, never bolted on, but it has quite a bit of shelf wear.

Don't get me wrong, I will buy and use a NOS part that has shelf wear and isn't perfect over a perfect re-pop any day.

Then, I put the cool original box on the shelf in my office and the original paperwork/diagram in a binder.

10. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

We did that at the dealership where I worked. Most of it was for insurance purposes on crash cars. Sometimes it takes weeks for an insurance adjuster to show up. The rest of it was warranty stuff. I can tell you, it's real handy as a mechanic to have the extra parts to help you troubleshoot. Usually if the customer wanted it, I would put all the removed parts in the trunk.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  11. Heres some of mine.. a NOS pair of "Lynx Eye" brand tail lights for a '32 Ford, one of which i have already used in an original housing to have a complete light.. still have the other for one day when i go hunting for another.

The other is a license plate lens for a '41 Dodge or Plymouth.. i can't remember.. but its particular to that year. I was going to use the whole deck lid handle on my roadster until i came across an original Model A one instead..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Don't forget- never throw out the old packaging, so you can take a photo of it next to a second hand part, put it up on Ebay, and then in the description say "packaging not included". That way you can list it as NOS. Maybe that stands for "normal old shit". I have seen this many times on Ebay.
    You might as well take a photo of an old water pump next to a banana, it means about the same.

13. And where did they learn this??

Perhaps:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oB-NnVpvQ78

Cosmo

14. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Have been selling NOS parts for years and learned 3 things over those years.
    A) Every one who talked about the used electrical parts being put back in the original box is very true. Never believe or buy a part unless you inspect it.If buying on that big auction site be sure to ask for close up pictures or ask the seller to verify it is a unused part.
    B) Non car people have no clue what NOS really stands for.There is NOS factory parts and NOS aftermarket parts.A cabinet full of 1950's/60's NAPA/Pep Boys aftermarket ignition parts are not worth much.A distributor cap in a Ford box with part number is worth something.The same cap in a NAPA box is worth about zip.The box is what sells.The exceptions are lenses and accessories.
    C) Something about NOS make sensible people go stupid. Don't know why but if paying $XXX for a part that was $1.50 when sold in the 50's and will do nothing but sit on display makes the owner happy then who am I to argue.

Anyone remember the thread 2-3 years ago about the gal who found and bought out the parts store with all the old time accessory parts? I dont recall seeing anymore about it after the initial find.That would be a goldmine

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  15. A couple of the N.O.S. finds I've scored…

Hurst Motor Mounts for the Olds:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drag Fast Shifter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

technically NOS aftermarket replacement parts like the "Linx Eye" tail light lenses above are NORS. New Old Replacement Stock. ... pretty sure the R is replacement... could be something else that begins with R.

17. tjet

tjet
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Be careful with NORS. I've seen it as

New
    Old
    Restored
    Stock

Which really means used

18. devilscustom

devilscustom
    from Sweden

Thinking my door and trunk solenoid kit is pretty sweet..

Gonna goes on my Mercury 1939

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]