Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadrace cars... vintage, nostalgia, historic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zman, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

2. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I love this thread! Gary

3. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

[​IMG]

Gene Stanton, Stanton Special only front engine car to race in the Can-Am series, ran Bridgehampton '66.

4. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Costin bodied 4.5 Maser

[​IMG]

5. NickJT

NickJT
    from S.E. PA

Too bad about the LS3 motor. I was at a track day with him at NJMP when he still had the big block Pontiac motor in it.

[​IMG]

6. Jonneville

Jonneville
    from NY and UK

My Cheetah is currently in a friend's shop being prepared for the Texas Big Bend Open Road Race in April - the entry has been submitted, so fingers crossed it's accepted...

[​IMG]

Regards

Jon'.

7. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

Hi; Why did the early Bugatti's have so much camber on the front axle ? THANKS Chris

8. There seems to be a variety of reasons.
    Due to the large amounts of positive castor and King Pin Inclination that they ran to keep the car stable at speed, the steering tended to be very heavy, so the belief was the getting the center of the tire contact patch underneath the center of the king pin made the steering easier. This was the era before "balloon" tires, so the contact patch was very narrow and it did not affect handling very much.

Also the roads of the day were very high crowned and the positive camber helped keep the case going straight on thievish surfaces.

There is also some belief that this lessened the strain on the outer (smaller) wheel bearings by loading the inner more. Bearing metallurgy was not that great at the time and bearing failed more regularly.

9. Lytles Garage

Lytles Garage

It always looked to me that the camber should be the other way? Chris

10. This is one of mine at Sears Point 1976
    My Dad Passed away now me driver Steve Jones and his Brother in Law

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  11. 15ASedan

15ASedan

From 2007
    2007monterey108.jpg

12. Terry Buffum

Terry Buffum
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Oregon

In the 2007 photo, is that one of the Cannon Spls in the background?

13. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Does anyone know if the John Fitch, Ford V8/60 -powered racer, called
    "The Fitch Bitch" from 1950, is still in existence?

14. trentesept

trentesept
    from Australia

Hotroddon is 100% correct about the Bugatti steering.
    Bugatti had what is called "true centre point steering"
    That is a line through the king pin towards the ground, the caster line and the line through the diameter of the tyre at the centre of the tread were all supposed to pass through the centre of the tyre contact patch at road level.
    There was therefore meant to be no scuff radius and consequent chassis jacking.
    From experience ,a Grand Prix Bugatti is extremely stable at speed , even to 120 mph and can be steered in a straight line at any speed with very little driver input ,even down to two fingers!!
    They do ,however ,react very badly to excess caster and become extremely heavy, 5 degrees being about ideal.
    I have never experienced a bearing failure using M.Bugattis design and have had several cars come in still with original 1920s bearings still in perfect condition.
    However I have heard of bearing failures using his system when people have fitted wide wheels, introduced scuff radius ,or bent or bastardised the axle to put in neutral or negative camber.
    Hope this helps
    Cheers Greg

Attached Files:

15. fred pooler

fred pooler

This is a 1936 Buick Speedster. Custom built

Attached Files:

16. Zig Zag Wanderer

Zig Zag Wanderer

BTT for this fantastic thread...is anyone headed to Road America for the Hawk Challenge (now the WeatherTech Challenge) on July 15, 16 and 17th? If you don't already know about it, this is THE vintage event in the Midwest and this year's is the flagship vintage event for the 50th anniversary of the Can Am series. There are more than forty vintage and re-created Can Am cars that will be on the grid, including the newly-recreated Boss 494-powered Alan Mann Racing/Holman Moody Open Sports Special!

17. I can't imagine that no one posted this but this was my favorite road race type of car when I was a kid.

[​IMG]

Reds 29 likes this.
  18. Some shots from the last couple of SVRA Brickyard events as well as a the 2014 Brian Redman event 100_3896.JPG 100_3913.JPG 100_1198.JPG 100_1231.JPG 100_1236.JPG 100_1262.JPG

19. GaryC.

GaryC.

As a 50/50 hot rod/sports car guy. I have to love this thread.
    Here are a couple that represent both worlds.
    gs.png gsr.png

20. IMG_2177.JPG IMG_2179.JPG This car was next to my 38 Chevy Coupe at a car show on June 19th in Issaquah WA. It's a 1958 Porsche 550A Spyder. The owner Steve was a great guy who let kids sit in the car for pictures. He has it insured with Grundy or Hagerdy (cant remember which) for 5.1 million dollars. And he drove it to the car show. All aluminum body.
    IMG_2177.JPG

My junk is stuff likes this.
  21. 64 DODGE 440

64 DODGE 440
    from so cal

Here's a fun ride along. Not like the high pitched shriek of the stuff today.

22. wisdonm

wisdonm

Like most years, I'll be at the Redman. I remember seeing the #66 Chaparral being towed through Milwaukee on an open single axle trailer, also went to the race at RA. Then again I remember A.J. Foyt's 500 winning roadster being towed into State Fair Park on an open single axle trailer behind a Country Squire wagon, the week after he won the 500. Now showroom stock Miatas are transported in 18 wheelers.

My junk is stuff likes this.
  23. memaerobilia

memaerobilia

Here is a photo of this specific Ferrari 375MM, when my Dad repaired it (on Bronx, NYC street) after it hit all the birds and rabbits in the Carrera Panamericana

Attached Files:

The37Kid likes this.
  24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

So cool to see how far this went. And still going.

25. So cool to see you posting!

zman likes this.
  26. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

For those that like vintage sports cars and vintage racing a must see is “The Mitty” at Road Atlanta the first weekend of May. https://hsrrace.com/themitty2022/ Admission includes infield parking, watching racing from any portion of (take lawn chairs) road course, access to the pits (paddock) various car korrals and vendors row. I’ve gone several times always enjoyable if you like cars.

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Joe, Good to see to you posting! I watched a video of a restored "clone" of the Caruso Bugatti powered midget using the engine I bought from your Dad in the mid 1970's. Thought I saw the four wheel drive midget you once had in a corner.

Bob

28. foolthrottle

foolthrottle

29. foolthrottle

foolthrottle