Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1950 Mercury build

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Danger, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Danger

Danger

Another 50 Merc build I know but this one is not going to be a full custom, shave everything off merc. Not that I dot like'em it's just I love all the trim that came on a 50s era car! So I'm planning on doing a mild chop and everything else is going to be stock for the most part, that my annoy some but I don't care. Car is all original now but has some very bad rockers on both sides and front fender behind wheel is going to need patched. Car runs and stops but needs cleaned and tuned up. Has the 3 speed overdrive and stock flathead. If you've built a merc please subscribe because I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions. Thanks
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389142405.534340.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389142423.335283.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389142444.617800.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389142464.468122.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

kiwijeff and Finmedic like this.
  2. Sprout

Sprout

Good looking car

3. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I like! Subscribed!

4. brandoni

brandoni

Looking good. I like all the trim as well. Wish I still had mine for my chevy

5. wicarnut

wicarnut

Subscribed, John

6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'm building a '51. Check out the link in my signature to the Mercury Parts thread. You'll find a lot of good info in there. I have a link to my build in my signature too.

7. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Sounds pretty cool to me!

8. Squablow

Squablow

Sounds like a reasonable plan to me. Some Merc's tend to get over-smoothed and end up looking blobby or 80's monochromatic. I too like some chrome on a 50's car. I personally would ditch the hood bar but keep the emblem and the ornament. Everything else could stay.

9. Skavangs49_Merc

Skavangs49_Merc
    from Sturgis,SD

I got all my chrome also!! I think that I am not gonna chop mine though. I am going to lower it though and maybe air ride.

10. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

Merc's look damn good without a chop you know...

Sometimes just altitude adjustment and some nice tires and hubcaps go a long way.

MyCrustyVW and DougO68 like this.
  11. Good looking car as is but a mild bit of customizing will definitely be an improvement.

12. Nice car, good plan!

Here's my unchopped, unbagged 50:

[​IMG]

13. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Looks like a nice start, I had a 50 Merc in the late 60's when I was a kid and would love to have another one but they are too high priced for me. I would lower it, nose and deck and drive it, that's the way most of them were done in the old days.

14. nice car, where did you get it. The car looks like a merc that was up here in Idaho Falls for many years and is now gone. I like your plan keep it clean and nice, will have to subscibe

15. Danger

Danger

Ya it's the same one.

16. that's awesome, I have seen that car for years and always wanted it. I traded some parts off my car to help get that car running but never heard what ever came of it. will have to watch and see your progress.

17. Fullraceflathead

Fullraceflathead

If your going to Build your Flathead, I made a Video/DVD called "Fullrace Flathead".
    I show the Build up of my 296 3/8 x 3/8 Supercharged Stroker Flathead.
    I built this engine for my Front Engine Nostalgia Dragster "Bad Moon Rising" back in the late '90's.
    I sell them on Ebay 25.00 free shipping.

18. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

i agree why chop it, looks good stock espicially if a mild custom is the final goal :D

MyCrustyVW likes this.
  19. 00 MACK

00 MACK

Sounds nice! Just the bird off the hood maybe?

20. Danger

Danger

Love your car, I like the look of a unchopped Merc but l have a good buddy that builds hot rods for a living and it's to easy and affordable not to chop. Don't get me wrong some of my favorite Mercs are un chopped. Such as this one. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389213223.953130.jpg

21. Squablow

Squablow

Really? Curious to know what you're estimating the cost to be.

22. Danger

Danger

I said affordable not cheap.

23. metalman

metalman

IMHO if your going to chop it you should go ahead and do a full custom. Not saying take the chrome off (I hate smoothes, 50 car got to have chrome!) but change it. Different grill, sidetrim, taillights ect.
    As far as mild customs Mercs go, Surfcity's just about perfect in my mind and it wouldn't look any better chopped.
    Nice find, not many stock, unmolested originals left. Nothing quite like a virgin to start with!

24. Jim J

Jim J

that's purdy!

25. Subscribing, here's me:

[​IMG]

mgtstumpy likes this.
  26. Danger

Danger

Mercs at home! Drained the fuel and put in some premium fuel and have been running it around the neighborhood. Starting to run a lot better. Need to get the exhaust done and I'll start driving it around. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390361401.960057.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1390361460.125666.jpg

27. Looks like mine when I brought it home! But I drove it from Denver Colorado to Iowa City Iowa for the first trip! (might not do that now...)
    If you need help finding anything or help with tech. Just give me a shout!

28. Danger

Danger

Thanks! I was wondering what people were running for headers? The car has duel exhaust but it's rusted out. Thinking of putting a set of headers on before redoing it.

29. I think I bought hooker headers for mine. All of $150 or so. Fit just fine, and the sound of just 1 3/4" all the way back on both sides is magical!

30. Good to have the car at home! Looks great.

Don't know what headers mine has because I did not mount them, but I have recently replaced both rusted out mufflers with new Smithy's - the best sound in the world.