Register now to get rid of these ads!

How old were you?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32dreamer, Jan 7, 2014.

1. 32dreamer

32dreamer

How old were you when you started getting into cars? I gotta say I have been into cars as long as I can remember. Even when I was little I could tell you what kind of cars my neighbors drove. Having a Dad who fixed his own cars and also having two older brothers helped too as they were also into cars. I just always remember cars being a part of my life. We also lived near Detroit Dragway so hearing the cars at night from my room was an influence as well. I took this photo somewhere out west on one of our family vacations. I was probably about 10 years old at the time that I took this picture. This was at some gas station or rest stop along the highway. I gotta say I think I had pretty good taste even at that age- LOL.

Attached Files:

2. I bought my first car at 12 years of age in 1962

It was my neighbors 1932 5 window coupe. HRP

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Same age I was in the 5 other threads about it. :D

lothiandon1940 and falcongeorge like this.
  4. MAD 034

MAD 034
    from Washington

I was 14 in 1977 and a buddy and me bought a 1967 Camaro RS/SS with a 327/4 speed for $600.00. We sold it before either one of us could legally drive it.

5. 32dreamer

32dreamer

The 32 Ford and the 67 Camaro are my two favorite cars.

6. kyvetteman

kyvetteman

I was 15 when I got my first car, a 1938 Ford Standard Coupe with a vette 327 and three speed.

7. This should tell you! From 1949 :eek: Yes that is me:cool: Love them Roadsters!

Attached Files:

8. 32dreamer

32dreamer

Cool

9. hallrods

hallrods

Born into it bought my dads car back after it was gone for 40 years

10. Model T1

Model T1

Sorry, my wife called the cops when she saw a kid out in the yard with a gun. Run and hide. :eek:This could be a bad situation.
    [​IMG]

11. Got my 1st car at 14 (52 Ford Prefect) in 74 and my 1st Willys at 17 in 76. JW

12. madmak95

madmak95

Does saveing your nickels to go to the deptment store with your mother to buy Hotwheels count ?

13. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

First car I drove was my fathers '10 Hupp when I was 11, been downhill ever since.

14. squirrel

squirrel

Apparently, I wasn't old enough to know better. And it's too late now.

15. Wedgehead426

Wedgehead426

I got my first subscription to Hot Rod at 9.

16. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

Can't say for sure. I was born in 1955, my mom once told me that one day, while an infant, I'd been fussing some, so she laid me on the couch in front of the tv. She left the room and didn't hear a peep from me. When she came back into the room she saw me watching a stock car race on tv, totally mesmerized. I'm guessing thats where it started.
    Then seeing the cars of my youth in the early '60s, a '55 or '56 Ford with a Y block that had a nasty cam, 4 speed & 3 deuces that belonged to my friends' older brother helped implant the bug. Add to that my older sister was pretty and popular, with guys going by our house showing off. I remember a red 55 Chevy with blue tinted windows doing dry hops in front of the house, and her boyfriend Tom who had an early '50s Chevy Kustom. Mix in the Gassers and Fuel Altereds of the early '60s, the muscle cars that came later and its an affliction that I will never get rid of, nor do I want to. :D

17. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

By about 3-4 years old, ('60-'61) I knew I liked mainly two things...girls and cars.

It wasn't until years later that I managed to actually "get into" either.

They've both given me more heartache, grief...and enjoyment...than I can say.

18. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Well, my first word was "jeep" in reference to dad's CJ7, much to the dismay of my mother. And some of my earliest memories are of dad's Studebaker truck (which is now mine).

So I guess you could say I got into these things at a very young age...

Posted using my Lil' Orphan Annie Secret Society Decoder Pin

19. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

I fell in love with cars when I was 8 or 9 years old. I got my first car, a 65 Mustang when I was 14.

20. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

I think it was always there but when I was about 10 this maniac did a 1/4 mile run down our quiet tree lined suburban street in his flamed, jacked-up '57 with open headers and drag slicks, sending every other little kid running for their mommies. I just stood and stared. Apparently it happened a couple of times and was bad enough that the cops were involved and the kid was detained and his parents had to get him out of hot water. I thought it was the baddest-ass machine I'd ever seen.

21. I can't remember far enough back, but apparently I was working on cars at about the age of 2. I'd let the air out of dad's tires for him when we came into town (I don't think I ever made one flat though). I must have liked the hissing sound? Always liked cars (and semi trucks for awhile too)

22. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Fortunately my Dad moved us to So Sal in 1963 when I was 5.
    I knew what was what and couldn't tell you if she was a blonde or red head, but I knew what she was driving.
    I couldn't have been 7 when I first found model cars. $2.50 at the TG&Y.
    And then at 12 or so, Linda Vaughn set hook at OCIR when she signed my shirt.
    Still have the fever and my own Linda,(Tammy), who found a Y-block on C/L and told me it would make the 57 easier to get on the road.

23. trollst

trollst

My dad was into cars, I think I was born with interest, but really took it seriously around 11 or 12.

24. The37Kid

The37Kid

Spring of 1953, leaving the Buick dealership in Norwalk, Ct. in Dad's new V8 powered '53 Hardtop. I wasn't 2 1/2 yet, but remember the windows in the dealership, bill of sale is around here, I'll find it and get the correct date. Good car it lasted untill it was replaced with a '61 Ford, I clearly remember looking at the catalog and sales brochure in the diningroom. Dad asked about my color choise for the interior, I picked red, he agreed it would look good with the black exterior. Within a few months of getting the '61 Ford I swapped the floor mats out of it for a like new '32 Ford grille incert. Something a 10 year old had to admit to at dinner time. Turned out the mats were out of the car because he'd replaced them with 4 individual mats. Dad told me he always wanted a '32 3Window. Someday the incert will come off the wall and go on my Roadster. Bob

25. butch27

butch27

I was 9 years old and NO ONE in my family was into cars?? Go figure.

26. Destiny..you would grow up to be a roadster owner or a cowboy.:D

Such a cool photo.HRP

27. corndog

corndog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Indiana

Here is a picture of my "first car" when I was 8 years old in 1954. My dad built this soap box derby car for me. (I am not in the picture?) I sure wish I had it still!

Attached Files:

28. My first experience with a car was at 3 years old. I watched Dad in the garage working on his midget in 1948. I've lived and breathed cars my whole life.

[​IMG]

29. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I was 11. In about October of 1956 my Dad got me an early Christmas present, a 32 Ford 5 window coupe, he paid $25 for it. Every day my buddy and I would sit in it and pour over Hot Rod magazines my pal would borrow from his older Brother and plan how we were going to build that Deuce.

But my Dad, thinking he was doing me a favor, sold the Deuce ,without me knowing about it, and on Christmas morning he gave me a 1950 Willys Jeepster instead. I cried because I really liked the 32 better and my Dad was pissed because he felt I was ungrateful. (Dad was NOT a hot rodder, so he simply didn't get it).

My Dad died that next March and my Mom got rid of the Jeepster because she was afraid I would hurt myself, driving it around our farm. But she traded a sewing machine for a 30 Model A Fordor to take some of my pain away, which my buddy and I promptly destroyed by chopping the fenders off with a hatchet and some tools I inherited from my Dad. We didn't know what we were doing and ruined a nice little Model A.:(

So I guess I was a hot rodder from about the age of 11 and still am at 68. But I stopped using a hatchet years ago. :D

Don