Register now to get rid of these ads!

354 hemi reverse rotation help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bostonhemi, Jan 7, 2014.

1. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I located a 354 block and crank only M45S-3 . How do I find out if its reverse rotation or not? I didnt see anything in tex's book.

If it is can it be used anyways?
    Is the block different for cooling? thanks

2. Soviet

Soviet

It'll work just fine.

3. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The block will be fine, but be sure to check it for internal water jacket rust, as well as deck rust. I have seen fresh water marine engines rust through the sides of the blocks.
    You will need a car type crankshaft. The marine one will not work. If the connecting rods are in it, they will be numbered backwards...#7 and 8 on the front journal.

The Chrysler Marine ID tag on the back side of the block will state L or R.

4. oldolds

oldolds

Camshaft is what changes the fireing order

5. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Tr Waters - is the difference on the cranks more than just the backwards facing knurl for the rope seal?

6. I believe Tom is referring to the crankshaft difference where the timing gear is mounted - it is a smaller diameter on marine than car engines.

From my experience with Chrysler Marine engines, the knurl is extremely faint if present at all.

If anyone had a parts book, we could compare Chrysler part numbers for LH and RH marine engine crankshafts... Anyone???

7. LH and RH marine engines used the same oil pump and distributor. Chrysler used opposite hand helix at the intermediate shaft gear to keep the clockwise dist rotation always the same. And of course the cams are different...

8. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I have a Maintenance Manual for the M-45-S, no dash 3, maybe for the 331 only and some info on the Marine 270 Baby Hemi. I also have a Marine 270 Hemi with adjustable rockers that supposed to be car friendly with right hand rototion...........

Attached Files:

9. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The crank differences are 1: the snout where the timing gear would normally sit, as well as 2: the rear flange is only 1/2 the thickness of a car/truck/ind crankshaft flange.

There is only one part number for the cranks in my parts book. E2 743M
    The last ones I looked at had no knurling.

10. bostonhemi

bostonhemi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

TY for all the info guys. All he has is the block, (he cant even find the main caps yet) and the crank. Where would the numbers be on the crank?

11. 73RR

73RR

On the side of the third counterweight. The numbers are usually NOT entirely readable. Have a stiff wire brush handy.
    Numbers here: http://www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com/?page_id=246

12. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

The casting number will be the same as those used in car/truck, and industrial applications. The difference is the application it was machined for.