Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Hilborn ID help.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by merctruck, Jan 6, 2014.

1. I have this SBC Hilborn that I picked up years ago. I was told it was from a gasser in 1960-62 or at least that is what the guy I got it from was told by the original owner. The canted pipes is the whole reason I wanted it. I have only seen a few of these over the years. Most of the Hilborns are straight pipes. Can anyone help me with what year this may have been made and how rare is it?

Attached Files:

2. 1934coupe

1934coupe

That style is newer than 60-62 more like 82. It has a number on it e-mail Hilborn and the will send you a paper on what it is and who it was sold to for what engine.

Pat

3. The only number I can find is a 252 stamped in to it. I was unsure of the year I just bought it because I always thought the canted stack Hilborns look really cool. I figured the story was bull shit but I thought I would share the info I had.

4. Anyone else have info on this style?

5. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Like I said, send that number to Hilborn, attach the picture you posted and a picture of the number.

Pat

6. That 252 is the only number I can find. Is that a serial number?

7. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The stacks are canted in order to keep stack bells round otherwise they would be "D" shape. They come "D" shape now because K&N made a siamiezed filter element whereas before they just used individual filters around the bells

8. I was looking on ebay for one like it and a guy has a canted set up for a BBC and claims it is from the 60's also. How do you tell the difference since Pat is saying mine is from the 80's but looks just like the one from the 60's. Can someone else weigh in and educate me here. The only knowledge I have about the history of styles is they all look cool.

9. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Like 34coupe indicated call Hilborn up. They are one of the very few companies that actually have a record of items sold. There will be casting number and maybe a stamped number somewhere on the base. Use them for a reference and you are good to go finding out what that row boat anchor is for. Check intake port size, nozzels for gas or alky numbers. There are nice people to deal with and you might learn more than you came for.

10. I was just down at Hilborn's last week with my injector. It took them about 15 minutes to look up the serial number on mine and give me the history.

Call em up and talk to them (949) 360-0909 really good people.

11. Wow boat anchor? Guess your not a fan. I have contacted them but no response yet. Thought there would be someone on here that knew more about these than I do. Guess I am as educated as everyone else except the people that work at Hilborn.

12. This is a Hilborn SBC injector from 1962. Angled stacks were much later.

[​IMG]

13. DICK SPADARO

DICK SPADARO
    Member Emeritus

Oh no I have had a number of Hilborns, they are very good parts, easy to service and work very well. This one is just a little old for todays standards because of the venturi size. The best thing about them is they are just as good today as the day they were new and you can still get repair parts. My guess is late 70's

14. 1934coupe

1934coupe

There are more people on here that know more than you do (no disrespect intended) Here are some pictures of mine that was bought from Hilborn through Jack Merkle Automotive in 1964. The butterflies are 2-1/8" as time went on Hilborn made the venturi bigger. Mine has round ports as opposed to yours which are almost directly over the intake port on the head, another later inovation. I have two screw holes for the tubes, yours has 4 indicating a later year. Lastly there is a casting between the stacks another indication of a newer injection. Your stacks appear to be home made also, Hilborn where chrome plated with a bell end.

Pat

Attached Files:

15. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Those are original stacks , just the bells have been cut off for K&N filters

16. Well thanks for all the help.

17. There are a ton of guys on here that know more than me about things like this that is why turn the hamb. I figured advice for technical things like this there would a expert or two that could help me out. Thanks for all the advice.

18. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Here's my Father's and his partners in 63 straight stacks

Attached Files: