Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 Ford Coupe Body Installation Advice.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Viking Patriot, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Viking Patriot

Viking Patriot
    from Milwaukee

I am ready to install my body on my frame. My 1st. question is, should I install the firewall before the body or install the body first and then the firewall. Also, should the felt be installed below the firewall feet? What is the best way to cut holes in the felt? Body is stock as is the frame and firewall. I am working alone and will be extending the boom on my engine hoist in from the rear of the body through the trunk opening, attaching to the floor to pick up the body and lowering it on to the frame.

Thanks in advance!

2. I always install the firewall first and yes the webbing needs to be under the feet of the firewall.

As for cutting the holes in the webbing I use a upholstery punch used to make holes in upholstery board.

You might find a simple leather punch set at hobby lobby.

It's really not that imperative that the holes are perfect,,if nothing else you can mark were the holes need to be with the firewall in place with a sharpie and use a utility knife,,crude but effective and it won't ever be seen. HRP

3. mickeyc

mickeyc

What method do you intend to use to attach the lift rig to the floor? I would be very cautious about distorting the floors and possibly causing
    the body to flex or cause damage such as creases in panels or similar
    problems. If the glass is rolled down or not installed you might consider a 4x4 timber with softeners passed through the body at the roof and lifted from that point. It will allow an easier adjustment for finding a balance point to lift the body more level.

4. I used a gasket punch to do the holes in the frame welting on mine. 'Worked really well.

Mickeyc above makes a good point about the 4x4 through the body (windows) at the roof. That worked well for me. Good luck.

5. The vehicles came down the assembly line with the firewall attached to the frame. The body was dropped on over it.

Charlie Stephens

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Nylon tow straps can be your best friend, and wont damage the sheet metal. With a little strateegery, one guy can do it. I managed to do all this work myself, and did mount the firewall to the frame first. I dont have welting under the firewall, nor the floor but will on final installation. SHOW US SOME PICS!

Attached Files:

7. These two photos will reinforce what Charlie & I said\,,you might also not this is a European Deuce,,not the suicide doors.

[​IMG]

And a photo of Henry himself stamping the back of the block. HRP

[​IMG]

8. When I first built my coupe back when I was 20 something, I had no help so I walked the empty shell onto the frame by myself. I put the firewall in later but it was cut out a lot and wasn't a problem. The body was pretty solid and showed no flexing but it was stripped of all I could take off.
    Man, wish I was that strong now..

9. 4 x 4 made like a cross thru front back and sides. Find the balance point install an I bolt lift the whole 5 window with ease.

10. Although you can do this alone it never hurts to call a couple of friends and invite them over for some pizza & beers ,cake and coffee or a coke and a pack of nabs,,,it all depends on the age of your chosen labor.:D HRP

11. Viking Patriot

Viking Patriot
    from Milwaukee

12. Viking Patriot

Viking Patriot
    from Milwaukee

13. Viking Patriot

Viking Patriot
    from Milwaukee

14. Viking Patriot

Viking Patriot
    from Milwaukee

15. Viking Patriot

Viking Patriot
    from Milwaukee

16. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Nice project, thanks for sharing the photo's!

17. Viking Patriot

Viking Patriot
    from Milwaukee

I have a 2'x3' steel 1 inch tubular "frame" to attach to the floor that would spread the out the load.

18. You lost me with the door decoration.

Why don't you just get the rest of the speedmasters to help?

19. Yeah,I don't get it but I'm a traditionalist. HRP

20. Jibs

Jibs

21. mastergun1980

mastergun1980
    from Alva OK

I use shell casings to punch holes in gaskets ... Might work on felt. Take your 45 out and make some empty brass

22. 55delray

55delray
    from Florida

Check out gasket punches on eBay. I was able to buy a lot of 6 on ebay for under $20 in a number of sizes and they work perfect on the frame welding.

23. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

It might be to your advantage to have the firewall, after appropriate fitting to chassis, and modification for engine/trans etc. mounted to the body before doing the body drop since you are working alone. Mount the firewall with the correct rubber belt (available from any early Ford V8 parts source) and use the screws for the rear hood hinge retainer to hold it in place for the drop.

The WWII Panzer turret cross (though the width of the black cross and surround white stripes is not correctly proportioned as authentic German ones) is an odd thing to have on the door of your car. Perhaps you were thinking of a Maltese Cross such as the Blue Max medal or Prussian and later Iron Cross?

24. G-man 32 ford 3w

G-man 32 ford 3w

I did the same to my coupe, where do I get the webbing for the frame any ideas. G-man

25. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Webbing for body to frame and other Ford/old car uses is usually available from any early Ford V8 parts source in a 20 or 30 foot roll.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  26. Viking Patriot

Viking Patriot
    from Milwaukee

I like the idea of attaching the firewall to the body and placing after the assembly on the frame. As far as the cross goes, the car is a little bit aircraft themed and I like German aircraft.

Thanks.

27. blucarspeed

blucarspeed
    from oregon

this worked real well for me.

Attached Files: