Register now to get rid of these ads!

Street Legal Dragster/Modified Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by merek chertkow, Jun 16, 2013.

1. 35ChevSedan

35ChevSedan

That is one of the coolest things I've seen in a long time! Thanks for posting the video and sharing your amazing work. Simply beautiful!

2. Bean Dip

Bean Dip
    BANNED

Thought I would clarify my earlier post. I actually do believe that the OP has a street legal car and was making no comments about it. I was only chiming in because I had a similar car and wouldn't dare drive it on the street. It's actually kind of interesting because my original plans were to do just that and with pump gas ( car only had 6.8:1 static compression). Was planning on taking it to the HAMB drags do a pulley swap and whoop some ass! It just ended up being way too radical to pull off.

3. Merek,
    I don't understand why so many people try to disprove what you did just because they have not done what you were able to do, instead of asking, "how did you do that?"
    I hope you keep posting pics of your radical ride, I think it is great! Resourcefulness is what hot rodding is all about. Your last sentence pretty much sums it up.

I am not trying to hijack your thread, but to the other naysayers out there, here is another street legal dragster I am restoring that is legally registered and currently licensed in the state of Illinois, just prior to that I had it registered and licensed in Texas before I moved to Illinois, where the car was originally built.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2013
  4. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Merek,

Don't listen to the negative comments. I applaud you for engineering and building something different. Plus I really don't see what the big deal is. Not having fenders and wipers as an argument, really? How many hot rods on here have those? The way I see it is, it's just a long wheel base fenderless hot rod.

I started a thread on a topic like this once, titled "They" say you can't do that. I think that pretty much sums this up. People will tell you, you can't do something and they've never tried.

Why don't you post some pics of the build?

5. The car fuckin rules. Plain and simple. I wish NY was a bit more relaxed with their laws.

6. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Lets calm down here a bit, Sir.
    Not once in my two .. now three... postings on this subject have I bashed, trash talked, or tried to knock anyone down. Nor did I comment on the vehicle or the owner, or who could build the better car.
    What I did post was in regards to the interpretation of the title of the original posting, which the OP has now clarified.

Thanks to the OP's last post, we now see that this "street legal dragster/modified coupe" is actually what Utah, as well as most other states, classify as a "parade vehicle".
    It takes nothing away from the vehicle or build, it just doesn't sound as cool...now does it?

7. merek chertkow

merek chertkow
    from So. utah

TR WATERS........... Yes, parade vehicle is just one of the definitions of vintage vehicles along with many others, like occasional transportation, but you forgot to say that. I've never tried to be cool, just accrete, maybe now we can put an end to this, your apology is accepted, no harm. Buy the way, did you post any of the hotrods you built yet. They would really be nice to see.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  8. Dragracer65

Dragracer65
    from Moore, Ok

9. gasserjohn

gasserjohn

my son & a friend are using the same body for a bbford aaa/fa

10. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Man that is insane!

Would love to hang with you for a day

11. TheTrailerGuy

TheTrailerGuy

Excellent job... ignore the complainers and do what you want. Great Idea... I am jealous.

12. Would be totally legal in South Dakota. But who cares? Is this the HAMB or Ralph Naders coffee circle? Looks like you are having fun.

13. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I built and drove a MidEngine 1968 Chevelle w/ the roof removed to look like a targa my Jr. year in High school and drove that to school...So I cannot say anything.....but from one screw loose to another.....everyone should build what they want and push themselves to the next level if that is what one seeks...cool beans, Littleman

14. das858

das858

Great job on a wicked looking car, isn't it great to live in a state that allows some freedom to build what you dream.

15. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Who gives a crap what the state of Utah, or what any state calls a specialty vehicle? Why are we even discussing what's street legal or not? Oregon classifies all three of my vehicles as either "antiques" or "special interest" vehicles, depending on age and type of license plate.
    I still think Merek's car is about the coolest vehicle I've seen on the street!

16. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

I say who gives a shit if its 100% legal or not in any state........ It's street driven.... It's a badasshotrod ....Im sure it has working brakes and tail lights and nothings going to fall off of it(as in its built well)........ oh and the owner is having fun.....these things are what really matter.
    And if he wants to flirt with getting a ticket......hey it's his right to!!

Bad hotrod my Freind....I give the big thumbs up!!!

17. LongT

LongT

I wish I could see it. YouTube is blocked at work. Oh well I go home soon! Sounds like I'd like it.

BIll

18. hooliganshotrods

hooliganshotrods

You sir are a hell of a craftsman, this is one cool ride. I can only dream of how cool that would be to drive on the street, even just once.

Never mind the nay sayers, I've enjoyed your responsible responses and your quality of work and also still waiting for those pictures that you've asked for......;)

19. merek chertkow

merek chertkow
    from So. utah

Thanks to all for your support.

20. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

A hand brake? Seriously?? A HAND BRAKE???!! You sir, are nuckin' Futz. My hats off to you.

21. bobw

bobw

[​IMG]
    merek, you are not alone. This one showed up at Back to the 50's today. Not as dragster looking as yours but has a 183" wheelbase and lots of HP.

22. merek chertkow

merek chertkow
    from So. utah

Why yes, The hand brake makes it more original old school 60 dragster and a lot more fun to drive.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  23. merek chertkow

merek chertkow
    from So. utah

24. wsdad

wsdad

That looks like a lot of fun - both to build and drive. Can you tell us a little about the rear suspension? Maybe even some pictures? Your car is extremely interesting to me. I wish we were neighbors. I'd be over there, bugging you with questions, until you ran me off.

Congratulations on building one of the coolest cars on the planet.

25. kyhotrod

kyhotrod
    from Kentucky

I like it. Looks so easy to get in and out of... LOL. I'd say you'd need to be pretty limber because you'd be getting in and out of it often, with the MPG and the small fuel tank. {g}

I still like it, because it has some crash protection too, not like with the fiberglassed bodied kit cars which look to be death traps.

I didn't see any headlights though. Whatup with that?

26. Looks like a tremendous amount of work, and done to perfection. You are now one of my HEROS, for doing this, and driving it on the street. I bet it scares the hell out of the Honda-tuner type kids! LOL.

27. merek chertkow

merek chertkow
    from So. utah

Thanks for the reply. I had much fun building it, and its a blast to drive around. Do not need headlights if its not dark...... It has a 8 gal. fuel tank in the back with a valve that will fill the front tank. aprox. 12 mpg if just cruising. so I can get about 140 miles, but I don,t go on that long of a drive a time with out stopping. Thanks.

28. ron clark

ron clark
    from concord

it's a real hot rod..i am working one out myself...nothing but horsepower, and a seat, gas tank, and lic plates..here in cali, i need headlites, and a tail lite..but 1929 cars dont need wipers, signals, or even seat belts...:eek:

29. BigDrag

BigDrag
    from Milwaukee

Congratulations your car is outstanding. I like how you push the limits, good for you. If the cops are cool with it that makes it even better.
    I'm hoping for the same with this project, we might have the same sickness brother.
    DSC_0145.jpg

30. The Mechanic

The Mechanic
    from Oregon

I would love to see some build photos. I am in love with this thing

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!