Register now to get rid of these ads!

Disguising 305 to look like 283 Help - Harmonic Balancer, Pulleys, etc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KustomRocket88, Jan 6, 2014.

1. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Hello folks,

Please don't chew me out with this thread as I've read the semi-popular topic on dressing up a 350 to look like a '57 283 (which is more difficult than the task I am asking). I have a 305 I want to disguise as a '63-65 283. I've heard I'll run into issues when it comes to pulleys possibly, and the short water pump. Could anyone help me out, anyone who has done this conversion? What are all the right parts I'll need to make this happen (as far as I can go without ridiculous lengths)? I'm not sure if the oil dip stick is reversed on the 305 than the 283, but when it comes to that point I don't really care. Basically want to keep the general feel and overall look of an older 283. So far I've got the rams horn exhaust manifolds, and I'm looking into mid '60s 2bbl and 4bbl intakes with the oil fill at the front.

Thank you!

2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Your wasting your money trying to fool people you don't even know. What's the point? No one out there even cares what engine is in your car.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  3. you can change pulleys , water pump , intake etc.......but the heads will let everyone know it is not a 283

4. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You will need heads with no bolt holes , short water pump , short water pump pulleys , you can change balancer if you want but not needed.
    You may need to remark your balancer so the timing mark will be in the correct place (some time behind the water pump) the its intake carb dist and so on.

5. sawbuck

sawbuck
    from 06492 ct

I care ..

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

didn't sound like he wanted to fool anyone, but wants his 305 to have the look of an early motor.... as for nobody cares.. I'd be guessing he is doing it for himself.

for me the main thing would be the oil fill in the intake and early valve covers, then you need to hide the PCV somewhere.

if you go with a short pump you would probably (maybe) need to change the balancer as well.

I'll be making a 305 look vintage for my car as well when I get to that part. gee i sure hope people I don't know are fooled so it is not a waste of money...:rolleyes:

7. 327Eric

327Eric

Oil fill intake, the right valve covers, and exhaust manifolds. Chevy engine orange paint, and the alternator on the drivers side. This will fool 90 percent of the people. The other 10 percent you will never be able to fool, so don't even bother. I'm the kind that looks for the breather on the back of the block to verify, and many others on here will do the same.
    A short water pump and pulleys will work on a late 70's 350, so I dont see why it wouldn't for a 305. I have heard there is a difference in balancers, but never seen it matter.

8. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

If anyone bends over to see if your motors a real 283, kick 'em in the ass. You'll get the subject changed and meet new people.:D

9. drdoom

drdoom
    from new jersey

use steel script valve covers.then use the oil fill tube from 1966 327 vette which the pcv valve attached to. screw bolts into the heads with sealant then cut off the heads and blend.run short waterpump and block mounted brackets and wa la 283

10. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Thank you ratfink, this is helpful. I'll be eager to see how yours turns out as well! Would I have to change the balancer in order for the other pulleys to work correctly (going with the short water pump)? Or would I still be able to have everything line up okay?

11. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Thank you! That's a good idea. Also, would a C4B edelbrock aluminum intake have the pcv valve provision?

12. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Definitely good to know. I wouldn't be surprised, we are after all dealing with Generous Motors

13. mechanic58

mechanic58

Also...if you're going to get technical about it you need to make sure you're using an early style timing chain cover to match the small dia 283 balancer. As far as the PCV goes you can drill a hole in the back of your intake near the distributor area that you can put a PCV grommet in, but you'll also probably need to manufacture some sort of a baffle to go beneath it to keep splashing oil from being sucked into your intake via the PCV. Earlier small blocks also used different style oil pans. The laymen would probably never notice, but anyone claiming to be a connoisseur of small block chevrolets would. The only obstacle you'll never be able to overcome though is the crankcase breather hole that was cast into the back of all small blocks prior to 1968.

Edit: The early small block oil pans will fit an early 2-piece rear seal 305 block - 1977 and earlier. I think in '78 they all went to passenger side dipstick and the early pans won't fit.

14. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

...are you serious...it costs the same to build a traditional 283 as it does to build a non traditional 305. This is another "Help me disguise my non-traditional motor I got for free" thread. Just find a real 283...it's not hard. If you don't have the money to buy one, then save till you do.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  15. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

I didn't get the 305 for free, it's in my '85 Caprice I bought a couple years back. Runs very well otherwise :)

16. the-rodster

the-rodster

17. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I got my 305 for free too.

18. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Rodster, what did you do for a PCV system? By the way I plan on running an Edelbrock Aluminum C4B intake. From the posts I've read thus far, I am going to assume it has no provision for PCV and I'll have to drill somewhere to the back of the carb but clear of the runners? It has the oil filler tube at the front. Also what did you use for pulleys? Did the 283 ones work; I also don't want to change the harmonic balancer if I don't have to.

19. 58 wagon

58 wagon
    from tucson,az

Here's my old 305. ( Red one ) I purchased what I thought was a late 80s 1 piece rear main 350 finned pan at a swap meet turned out it was a 305 pan. Never did anything with the 305 other than mock up or a parts holder for my other motors. I could never justify dumping money into it when I had several 283,327,350s that needed the same. But it's as traditional looking as it gets lol 327 Power Pack heads (no holes), offy tunnel ram, offy finned covers and that stupid pan! That I never got to use.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

20. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You need to look at your balancer and see where the timing tab is if its behind the water pump you will have to remark it or you wont be able to set timing.
    as stated you can drill the intake between the carb and dist then I would get one of the lifter valley baffles to control the oil splash in the valley.

21. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Okay, that makes sense. Also, if I drill into the manifold and (how would I make the baffle?), would I also have to use a breather on the front oil fill tube? I've read about people doing this, but I'd rather personally use a fill tube that has a PCV provision like off a Corvette. If I do this, where does that hose connect if the fitting drilled and tapped into the manifold ties into the carburetor?

22. ned5049

ned5049

you see look alike Rocket Olds V8 valve covers on SBC's. Now, who's fooling who?

23. the-rodster

the-rodster

I put the pcv in the back of the drivers side valve cover.

All of the pulleys are stock 305, long water pump.

I redrilled a 283 fan to fit the long water pump.

Rich

24. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a baffled grommet.

25. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

With a little grinder work,I haven't seen any 305 heads in a while, the heads could be made to look like these. Been told they were on 58's with air ride suspension and later trucks with air brakes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Moroso makes a lifter valley baffle part number 25050.
    I think the oil fill tube that has the threaded fitting for the PCV has a screw on cap that will not let the crank case breath. Then you will have to open a hole some were.

27. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

That is a good point, but what about the breathers people put on in place of the cap? That way the filtered air is coming in (if I understand this correctly?)

28. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If the PCV goes to the front breather and you put a vented cap on it you wont get a good working PCV system it will only want to pull air in from the vented cap and not evacuate the crank case as well.

29. Unless I'm grossly mistaken, a PVC-equipped engine is a "closed system", meaning there is no ventilation for the crankcase other than the PVC.

30. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

Chevrolet passenger cars all got PCV valves in 1963, and still had oil fill tubes with push on breather caps.