Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 34 Chevy RPU, anybody got one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kiwijeff, Oct 21, 2013.

1. Cool project! Looking forward to watching the progress.

2. Sorry to hear that Luke13. I hope you can sort it. Not to many 34s about, although ive noticed a few in the kiwi rod scene, since getting mine.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  3. Thanks. Ive not touched it since before Christmas, and im itchin to get back into it. Love your sig line.

4. C-cab dreamer

C-cab dreamer

I have a '35 Standard 2 dr. sedan here, and the hood measures about 930 mm in the centre as well. It also comes forward just a bit on either side of the centre and gets to about 933 mm there.
    I think Chevy used to use the Master from one year as the Standard for the next, although I don't know if there was any difference in the actual body size between the '34 and '35.
    I know there were two different wheelbase sizes for '35, the Master being the bigger of the two.

5. Thanks for your post. I joined both 30s Chevy groups here, but like a lot of groups, they are slow moving, and hard to get answers. Somewhere in this thread, i have chassis measurements for Master and Standard 34s, and im pickin that they be the same for 35s. After posting earlier today, i planned on pushing the car outside and turning it around. Its raining, so thats killed that idea. :D

6. Tried for a hardcase coment, but i got nuthin.

Jeff we need more pics mate.

kiwijeff likes this.
  7. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

This is 34. 35 Standards features an x-member rather than ladder members

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  8. IMG005.jpg IMG004.jpg IMG006.jpg IMG003.jpg
    Haha, thats awesome. Heres some pics. Beautiful day today, and the Chevs getting turned around later today. 57mads press ganging his son in law, to come help, so i'll be able to get some good pics outside.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  9. Thanks very much. Joined a Chevy forum today called Rusty Bowties, so should be a big help too. Mines got the ladder member, so that confirms the 34 year. Hope this helps others too.

10. IMG011.jpg IMG010.jpg I managed to get the car to the door, with the trolley jack under the diff by myself. The right side rear tyre needed air, so i pumped it up, being mindfull that the tyre was stuffed, and could go bang. All was good for ten minutes, then suddenly, BANG! It blew. Woulda scared the crap ota me, except that i was half expecting it. :D That'll make our job of pushing it back in harder.

11. IMG012.jpg IMG013.jpg IMG015.jpg The boys came around, and we towed it backward down the drive, then pushed it backward back down the driveway, into the shed. They were busy, and didnt have much time, so i forgot to get pics outside. Heres the drivers side, or darkside. Its not pretty, but the presures on to get some more done.

12. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

kiwijeff, that hood side panel resembles a shrunken '34 Ford panel.

kiwijeff likes this.
  13. Gary Addcox

Gary Addcox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, kiwijeff, the '34 and '35 Chevy standards(as they were called in the U.S.) used the same hood, doors, and I believe fenders.

14. Gary, the hood side does look a little like a 34 Ford. Its from a French car, that sounds like 'shit tin' :D Im not sure how its spelt, :D Thanks for the info on the panels.

15. IMG019.jpg IMG020.jpg Luke, heres some quick pics of the roof. Still looking for door top.

16. IMG021.jpg IMG022.jpg Found whats left of the door top. Would the tops out of the back doors be any good?

17. IMG044.jpg IMG042.jpg Ive started getting ready for pulling all the front panel steel off, and pulling the engine. Had a little clean yesterday, and put an old headlight on, just for fun. Pity ive only got one.

18. My buddy, Jimmy's 34 made from an old closed-cab pickup.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. Thanks Rocky, interesting looking build. I'd like to see how the rear fenders and deck sides come out. Im looking at running the deck sides on the inside of inner fenders, sorta stepside like. It will make for a smaller space, but im going for the Model A RPU look. Hope that makes sense :)

20. IMG048.jpg Not much progress to show, but i've got the firewall almost ready for etch primer. Im busy getting my parents house roof, ready to paint. Its a big job.

21. It certainly isn't the way I'd do it and he may change his mind before it's all over.
    Running a punched 250 chevy 6 with a 194 head, Clifford 4 barrel/headers and a T-5 transmission.

22. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looking great. I like the RPU idea. You have made a lot of headway since you hauled it home. My .02 is keep it inline 6 powered if you can.

kiwijeff likes this.
  23. A punched six would certainly give me a buzz, i have no idea though, at this stage what to do. I do know it wont be the og Stovebolt. My only real plan at this stage, is to strip it, clean and prime chassis, and get the body built. And as i stated at the start of this thread, if anyone likes it more than me, they can buy it and finish it. I was eye'n up Pauls RPU the other week... :D

24. I have a 270 GMC with a wild cam that would look good in that Jeff.

kiwijeff likes this.
  25. Yes you do. Id forgotten about that. Didnt you find a home for it? The Parkinson boys, from the wrecking yard, think i should put a small block Ford in it. :D

26. fleet-master

fleet-master

[QUOTE The Parkinson boys, from the wrecking yard, think i should put a small block Ford in it. :D[/QUOTE]

^^^^don't even joke about shit like that Jeff !! :D :D a GMC inline would be pretty sweet tho..

kiwijeff likes this.
  27. Still have it.
    Nothing came of the deal to move it on.:cool:

Maybe I should just buy the pick-up and drop it in.

kiwijeff likes this.
  28. Paul, when i was a member of my towns local club, the was a bloke with a 289 in a 35 Chevy. Thats hot rodding, where as same brand engine in same brand car, is Brizio thinking, and street rodding. Dont panic though, i got it under controll :D Clive, bring that ol GMC engine down, throw it in, and drive it home. Im a big fan of dressed up GM sixes. Damn, its pissing down here this morning, i hope its fine for the show on the other side of the Island.

29. Wow Jeff, I'd forgotten to check in on this thread for a while. Glad to see you're still plugging away at it. Yes, the '34 hood is the same as the '35 Standard hood. My .02 is to leave the hood on. I like hoodless hotrods, until I took the hood off the '35 to get it louvered. I looked at the car, and realized it looked like crap without the hood on. Check out the pics for proof.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  30. 37hotrod, im with you on that, i like the look with hood on better. A fully dressed six would need to be shown though, and you could have the best of both worlds, by running it without the hoodsides, leaving the top in place. The left top side is in ok condition, but the right top side proberbly isnt worth repairing. :)