Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects finally got my long desired 34 3 window

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodderhaag, Jul 19, 2013.

1. daddio211

daddio211

2. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Some how I managed to duplicate another window channel and I got a good start on the passenger door. I had to tack some extra tubing to the window frame because they tend to twist and you don't realize it until the door is al assembled ... Ask me how I know this.... And it's a bitch to cut it back out. This dork will be done tonight and time for the deck lid
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388406816.926325.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. painkiller

painkiller

Just trying to learn.
    Why not use steel all the way around and tie the lower cross piece to it?

Attached Files:

4. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

It makes sense however in real life it is a bastard to get formed and also to make it so the door isn't twisted.. The steel would be formed in perfect flat pattern .. The door is far from flat.

5. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388967424.861764.jpg

6. you're gonna need a bigger garage

7. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

Nice work Ben!
    Yeah, Blaise and Norb are good people.

8. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I was glad Blaise give me the opportunity to buy this car.. It's gonna be a fun one.

9. redzula

redzula

Dang another kickass build going on too. I already subscribe to both your coupe might as well post the Linn to the Tudor too. That way I can keep up. Nice work on the windows and doors seems like you are really maki g the extra effort for longevity there. Building them to last. Nice work as always

10. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Score! I picked up my hood and side panels today!! I got a smoking deal on these babies . !
    It fits rather well for the body and grill never being measured out . Very little adjusting to do
    Guys, I need to see what the tabs on the rad and cowl look like to hold the hood, also I need to see what the latch tabs look like on the rad and the body .. I need to see how this hood goes on properly, any one have pics?

I also got a grill pan for the bottom of the grill. So that will finish off the sheet metal I needed. Still on the hunt for a real deck lid.

And I found my salt flats race number... 394.... It was spray painted on the hood when I got it. What a perfect reason to use that number

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389156074.477713.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389156093.140436.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389156195.021979.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389156208.884805.jpg

11. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

And my custom wood kit was dropped off today. The guy did a great job! It flits my templates like a glove .
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389193379.879470.jpg

12. Damn that hood is nice! Great project!

13. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I went home and jumped right in on the wood for the car... What a mistake that was. The guy I had do it, was a total joke! I offered to pay for the stuff and he said no no you help me out a lot... Below is a picture that shows why you can't find anyone to do good work anymore. He asked for templates , so I carefully made templates .... And look what I get in return! Almost every piece was this way. I spent all evening shaving and sanding oak to make it fit.. And I only got 2 pieces done. . Slightly discouraged !
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389234019.670834.jpg

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  14. daddio211

daddio211

15. TULSA

TULSA
    from Tulsa

How did it go from fitting like a glove to not fitting at all??

16. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Cause in didn't try every single part when he handed em to me . Thank you for making that a point though

17. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

One door hung . It opens and Closes nicely.. I have to get some longer striker bolts but it workes well.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389281416.176186.jpg

18. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Hell yes Ben. The hood was a score. Have a look on Wescott's site for latch brackets. Grill to radiator brace acts as front bracket. Maybe they make a steel insert for rear instead of just a hole in the glass. Doors look nice and strong, but for fuck-sake, dont break a glass down the track. Be interesting getting the new piece in.

19. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

ill check that out! my idea for replacing the glass if it breaks will be sawing the tops of the doors off and sliding new ones down in! ha
    actually i can get the glass out if i cut an access in the inner door. you can do it if the door is all the way open.. we ere testing. but it will still be a bastard

20. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

I messed with the drivers door a lot today. It opens and closes nicely now. Still some tweaking to do. My window channels finally came in ... Not sure how they are gonna work. They don't bend very easily. We will see. I may form them tomorrow .. Some of the wood is attached to the body now.. I have a lot of structure to make yet but it's a start
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389325461.513052.jpg

21. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

My door works great after some adjustment! Very happy with the sound even.. Does not sound like a cheap junk door

22. 3banjos

3banjos
    from NZ

Bloody good. Better again with outer skin on. You could go mad and line both panels with that street rod dynamat stuff for a deep tone, but that sounds fine as is.

23. luke13

luke13

how long have you spent opening and closing the door today ?

24. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Only the last hour... Geeze..... Wouldn't you ! :)

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Door panel is screwed in place. Body lines match up perfectly! Door handle is screwed In. Looks great. Tomorrow I will trim some material off but leave enough for plenty of sanding to make it fit just perfect.

3banjos:
    I am glassing over the steel braces in the bottom . The. Lining everything with a real thick coat of spray in bed liner. This way it never comes off! It will be quiet. I think that will help stiffen the outter skin also .

I'm pretty excited this turned out so well... For my first time, it is so much better than I ever imagined

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389506076.510652.jpg

26. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

27. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Well I yanked the doors back off after they were all fit. I spent all day shaping wood. It's all glued and clamped in using 3m 8115 panel adhesive and a few hidden screws. It is also all seam sealed with a high strength construction adhesive. This baby is gonna be nice and sturdy. Tomorrow I will hang both doors permanently. I have templates cut for a few roof bows and I also am making a piece for above the windshield and my hinges will mount to it. . Stil bed a back window frame.. Taking a template to a friend to see if maybe he can make me one that actually fits this time

28. TomH

TomH

I have never been to interested in fiberglass body’s and I think that’s because they remind me of a street rod not a hot rod. But that one that was in Street Rodder mag a while back and now yours is making me change my mind. Thanks for taking the time to post your progress, I’m enjoying this build.

Tom

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  29. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

It's all about the look. I agree with the street rod idea.. Glass cars get a bad rep because of full fender cars with a/c and power windows.. I'm still hound soo I want Loud, fast, and as traditional as possible. Even with the intentions of driving it cross country. Glass cars can e made nice. They just need the correct hands. The one in street Rodder was a huge inspiration. And he truly transformed , or polished a turd , if you will.

30. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Here ya go nitrobrother :)
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389629625.389091.jpg
    If I would have been thinking I woulda pulled them out further and got a good background and doctored the photo up so it looked old ..with no door skin!