Register now to get rid of these ads!

original Saginaw Vega steering box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gearheadbill, Jan 5, 2014.

1. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Did original factory Saginaw (Vega-style) steering boxes have any outward features (casting numbers, logo, whatever) that identify them as ORIGINAL vs. all the aftermarket boxes now flooding the marketplace.

I bought one from a guy who advertised it as "reman original" but I highly suspect that it's a repro. It looks EXACTLY like the pics you see all over evil-bay auctions.

Just trying be sure of my ground before talking to him. Thanks.

P.S. The box I received seems to work fine but I paid for a remanned original. I have used several original boxes rebuilt by Richard Graves and they worked very well.

2. Normbc9

Normbc9

Photo's would help us to help you.
    Normbc9

3. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

The Vega box on my '31 Ford has the word "Saginaw" cast on it. Whoops, no.My memory's not as good as it used to be. Like someone else said, my Vega box has the swoopy S. It's not spelled out.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  4. A blind man needs a cane or dog to help him find his way....

5. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Ok....so which are you?

6. i've used many original Vega boxes and don't recall seeing Saginaw on them....or maybe i'm wrong and/or blind too? could someone post a picture?

7. The 525 looks like the vega with a longer input shaft.

8. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Look for a Saginaw logo...a stylized "S" in a box, usually about an inch square. I would be very suspicious about the originality of a box without that on the main casting...
    Around here, actual Vegas have been entirely extinct for decades, gone even from the junkyards. I'd be less surprised seeing a Marmon V-16 coming down my street than a Vega.

9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I haven't seen the "S" symbol on a Vega box, I have 3 original ones. The larger boxes such as the 525 do have that. The 525 is much bigger box, larger input shaft, top cover and were used on the Cosworth Vegas. The top cover on an original Vega box is smooth and rounded on the edges, most of the New boxes that cover looks beefier and the corners aren't rounded.

10. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Problem solved. Real Vega box photos-cell phone quality. NOT the box I received.

I cut and pasted the Ebay auction info.

"Vega Steering Box Fresh Reman Coated Manual 32 ford hot street rod

ABOUT WAREHOUSE99:

ONE LOW SHIPPING PRICE: All shipping is automatically combined, so you will only pay shipping on the first item you buy. The more your you shop, the more you save!

WareHouse99 is an automotive liquidation warehouse. All products are overstock, scratch and dent, discontinued, or used items. Description will indicate condition. Many items sold here have been in storage for many years, so old or damaged packaging and minor shelf wear should be expected."

We are currently liquidating a huge 20 year collection of hot rod and custom car parts from Theo's Hot Rod Parts business closing. It's a big collection so if your looking for something you don't see shoot us an email.

ITEM DESCRIPTION:

USA made
    freshly remanufactured
    Manual Steering
    Vega Box
    Manual Steering Box
    5/8"-36 Spline Input Shaft
    6.25 turns lock to lock.
    25 to 1 ratio.
    6 rounds lock to lock for a 24 to 1 ratio.
    Saginaw steering gear, as used in many GM vehicles"

BEWARE......It's the Hoffman Group. I'm returning it.

Thanks for the answers.

Attached Files:

11. Rocket88

Rocket88

Pulled this out of a Vega many moons ago.

Attached Files:

12. uncle buck

uncle buck

Hey ! Are you knocking my "Smartphone" ?

On another note , I don't see the casing numbers in my box pictured above in the red primer {also from Richard Graves shop) that are on the bottom box pictured?

13. F-head

F-head

vega boxes are for cheaters
    isnt this a forum for traditional cars
    a friend of mine once said,vega box ,5 speed, 8"rear is like riding a bike on a marathon

14. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Hey Bruce! You're on the wrong forum. This one is for "traditionally STYLED hot rods" not "traditional hot rods". They let us talk about vega boxes on this one. The other one is mostly about cars that break down a lot and need their own special run. Haha!

I'm building a chassis for a guy who initially wanted to use a uni-steer but I talked him out of that. I told him that a uni-steer wouldn't work with a flathead. He's a real dork but spends $$ so who's complaining. And no, it's NOT NapaDave.

15. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

The ones I have have casting number 7808990. Hope that helps.

16. mt shasta steve

mt shasta steve

Mine has smooth top with rounded corners. Also top is aluminum. Does that help?

17. BUSTEDKNUCKLE

BUSTEDKNUCKLE

Now that's funny!

18. ago

ago
    from pgh. pa.

My original Vega box has casting #7808990. Other side has a (3) maybe shift.

Ago

19. Good thing about original Vega boxes, the Vega was usually rusted to pieces and /or the engine is blown long before the steering box wears out. Steering box and Saginaw 4 speed are pretty much all you want to pull off of a Vega before crushing it.

20. gearheadbill

gearheadbill

Doug...thanks for the input and thanks again for the reponses. It all helps.