Register now to get rid of these ads!

Head Light Switch 53 Merc

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by leadsled, Jan 5, 2014.

1. I think that I figured out where the dash lights go. If anyone knows what goes where please advise.
    thanks, Tim

Attached Files:

2. Here is a wiring diagram for a '53 Mercury. HRP

[​IMG]

3. HRP, thanks I can find the switch on that diagram, but can't make out what goes where. I saved the file and enlarged it as a picture and it gets blurry.

4. You should be able to identify the terminals with a ohmmeter. With the switch pulled to the first position, you should have continuity between all terminals except two; those two should be the headlights. When pulled all the way out, one terminal should go 'dead' to the others, that will be the park lights. The headlight terminals should read to each other, but not to any of the others; there should be a separate power feed to the headlights and the tail/dash/park lights.

Looking at the switch, I think that A is the park lights, B is park/tail/dash power, C is headlight power, D is dash, E is headlights, and F is taillights.

5. simplyconnected

simplyconnected

I can't recognize the print letters either.
    Is it possible you could either post a higher res pic (in grayscale, not color) or send it to me and I'll post it. ([email protected]). Thanks in advance. - Dave

6. sobpunx

sobpunx

Try searching Google images for 54 ford, I found a simple diagram for it. I would think it would be the same.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. Click on the pic in the first post for a larger version; those are the terminal letters I used...

I can't read the diagram either... LOL

8. I will post when I get it figured out. I put a meter on it and expected find continuity on all of them when the switch was pulled out all the way. and the one that didn't when the switch was in the middle would be the headlight.

my thinking was power would go out to tail lights, park lights, and dash lights when in the middle.

I get continuity between D and F no matter where the switch is (this makes sense to me for dash light dimmer.

I get continuity between A & F in off and park light posn

continuity between c & E, F & B when in headlight posn

continuity between A & B when in park light posn.

9. Yep, that's right.

Yep, that should be right too.

If you still have continuity to F, this is good too.

If you don't have continuity between C/E to F/B, then it's all good.

A is park lights, B is tail/park/dash lights power incoming, C is headlight power incoming, D is dash lights, E is switched power to the headlights, F is switched power to the taillights.

This is a 'split' switch, designed for more than one power connection. The headlights should have a separate power feed, that way if you have a short in the other lights it won't knock out the headlights.

10. a 'split' power source is what threw me off

11. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Always an issue with Fords since almost all aftermarket harnesses are made "GM friendly" the GM's have two power feeds in and older Fords only one.