Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does anyone make a window conversion for a 1951 Ford?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TMoney, May 17, 2013.

1. TMoney

TMoney

I've seen a few shoebox 2 door sedans that have 1 piece rear side windows. Mine is stock with the 2 piece windows. I think it would look better with one piece of glass back there.

Is there anywhere that sells a channel/regulator/glass kit to do this or is it something I would just take to the local glass shop and have them make?

Here's a side profile of my car so you can see what I'm talking about.

[​IMG]

2. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

its not hard to do, just need to bend up a rear U channel and mount it parallel with the front. I did one on a chopped shoe.. My buddy does glass, for some reason i was thinking he had a pattern for a 1pc for the 1/4 glass but i could be wrong..Street Rod Glass 951-789-8870

3. tedster

tedster

I think it was Street Rodder that had an article about what you are asking about. Do a search on here I am pretty sure it was covered on here.

4. badshifter

badshifter

Pat Ganahl wrote the article. His car was the subject and its killer.

5. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

I was correct, give that number a call my buddy did the glass for Mr. Ganahls shoe..

6. nxcess

nxcess
    from Mesa, AZ

You can do what they recommend but you will probably not be able to roll it down all of the way. The depth of the glass may need to be deeper by an inch or two, so that it will stay in the new back channel. The rear section may hit the fender well.

7. Finnrodder

Finnrodder
    from Finland

8. I think it looks fine like it is!

9. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

make it one piece so it won't look like it is going and coming at the same time...

10. customrod48

customrod48

It isn't hard to do, but nxcess is correct, it will not roll down all the way as the inner fenderwell is in the way. If that is a problem, don't do it as it isn't worth the bother for the small amount it will open. That is a large piece of glass for the small amount of glass you will have riding in the rear portion of the window.

11. outlaw256

outlaw256

ive never really like that look either. i just bought a 51 and im gonna fix that window thing .well when i get it home and its got a motor and tranny put in it.first thing first.make it go then, make it pretty...lol

12. 50Fraud

50Fraud

I believe that the fix Ganahl describes results in a fixed quarter window -- doesn't roll down at all. If I had a 2-door I'd do that too, because I hate that little rear window and the fixed window wouldn't bother me.

13. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

I plan on going with 1 piece rear windows on mine also. It really cleans up the look of the car

14. check out my pictures in my albums of my 51'. I urothaned the one piece side glass in mine.

15. lorodz

lorodz

If the car is unchopped and you don't care if it opens why not just make the glass solid and stay up in a fixed position.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

16. Usually the vent post serves as the track for one end of the window to go up and down, that's why you lose the ability to roll it up and down when you get rid of it. You could probably rig it to still roll up and down by cutting a piece off and using it at the rear of the window opening, but it would be a lot of work for a window that only goes halfway down.

The trick way to rig it would be like how some 60s-70s cars treated that window - it would tilt forward or otherwise reposition as it went down so it could go down all the way. But you'd have to scratchbuild the mechanism most likely to make that work. It would have to be able to go down a little, then slide backward as it tilted.

17. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I think a one piece glass would look huge in that opening. Can anyone photoshop it?

18. daddio211

daddio211

No need for Photoshop, here's Pat Ganahl's car...

Perfect proportions and the worlds best argument for NOT chopping a shoebox.

I love my '50 Tudor, but that back two-piece side glass reminds me of a four door everytime I see it!

Sent from atop my toilet using the TJJ app for Android.

Attached Files:

19. tedster

tedster

Way too much info.I love that car but something about you sending the pic while on the can makes me think I will look at that car different from now on.

20. daddio211

daddio211

Bwah ha ha! Actually I was in bed listening to my snoring wife... but hey, the TJJ app is incredibly good at taking up the BM time! :D

Sent from atop my toilet using the TJJ app for Android.

21. motorcitymuscle

motorcitymuscle

I have a 51 shoebox and have installed one piece glass in the front and back. It was relatively simple an the back window rolls down damn near all the way. if you have a chop top it will make the window openings smaller but I think the look was worth it.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

22. daddio211

daddio211

Post some pictures man!

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

23. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

My shoe has 1-piece rear side glass ... oh yea , it's a COUPE , lol !!

Seriously , I like the look of the 1-piece glass conversion in the sedans , as it cleans up the look a bit . VERY nice-looking ride , TMoney .

24. daddio211

daddio211

Agreed. Something about the Tudor sedan screams "I wanna be a four door". Making the rear window one piece totally takes that away and I can't wait to do mine.

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

25. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

The 1 piece conversion is on my to do list. What did you have to do to the window track Motorcitymuscle?

26. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

I'm not motorcity muscle , but I can tell ya that you need to fabricate a new rear channel further back (it gets eliminated by removing the vent assy) - you can re-use the front , as it already slides in there .

27. daddio211

daddio211

Finnrodder shared the link in his comment, comment #7 on this thread.

28. beyond static

beyond static
    from Louisiana

The window in the street rodder article is stationary. I'd like to see how motorcitymuscle modified his so it can roll down.

29. txturbo

txturbo

You don't have to make the glass straight on the bottom edge. Shape it so it conforms to the wheel arch then it should roll down all the way. Thats how most cars are with roll down rear windows anyway.

30. daddio211

daddio211

Totally missed that, my apologies. I think once you get the panels off and the windows out it'll come to you by just looking at the regulator.

This is what my plan is.