Register now to get rid of these ads!

bought my first T

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by charliechaindrive, Jan 4, 2014.

1. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive
    from staples mn

I picked this up for a song, and I've got some pictures to show. Can anyone lend a hand towards figuring out what year it is.

URL=http://s1160.photobucket.com/user/charliericker/media/20140104_162636.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Somewhere along the line it was converted to a trailer. The tire size is 4.40/4.50-21, and are these "demountable" rims? does the wheelbase or chassis length help dictate what this thing used to be in its past life? I'm excited to own this. And, on a side note, this is technically my first car. Not every 16 year old kid gets to say they own a model T!

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Is there a body?

3. Demountables, balloon tires, small drum. It's around a 25

4. The37Kid

The37Kid

Congratulations! I got my first T on my 16th birthday in 1966, a 1926 Tudoe delivered for $220.00. Get yourself a Lang's catalog, they are HAMB members. I'd guess your chassis is a 1923-25. Good luck with it. Bob

5. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive
    from staples mn

No body unfortunately. But thanks guys!!! Y'all are going to hate me for how much I paid for this, delivered to my house at a cost of 50$. I traded a bicycle for it, and I had paid 50$ for the bicycle. What do steel T wheels run each that'll fit this thing? I might want to slowly pluck out a speedster from this thing.

6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

best figure out where to get a body before getting more wheels. the guys that own and know a lot about these are the guys in their 80's and 90's. keep an eye out for T Car Clubs and estate sales.

7. 4t7flat

4t7flat

Converting old "A"s and "T"s to hay wagons was quite common, many years ago. My neighbor gave me one back in the 80's. It was parked in the field right next door.

8. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive
    from staples mn

Does anyone have any instructions or links to a PDF file to build a speedster body? It'd be greatly appreciated.

9. pontman

pontman

Your an addict now Congrats!
    I bought a 23 T in 2010, and an 29 A 2013.
    Careful man your going to go crazy at the next swap meet!

10. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive
    from staples mn

There's a '28 model A coupe on my local craigslist, it was hotrodded in it's past. They want 4,000 for it, but unfortunately my wallet is a bit too shallow to afford it. I drool over it frequently though

11. stakebed

stakebed
    from White, SD

It looks like a 26-27 frame, judging by the rear crossmember sticking out past the side rails. The wire wheels for a t are 5 on 5" bolt circle and require a "wire wheel" hub. These were only made in 26-27, and often bring 50-75$ per hub and good wire wheels can go for 75-125$ each.

There are some adapters made to bolt to the wood spoke hubs to use either t or A wheels. Model A wheels are usually cheaper to come by, and have a 5 on 5.5" bolt circle.

Langs, Mac's and Snyders are 3 of the bigger suppliers of parts, there is also a small shop called Birdhaven in Colfax Iowa that has a good supply of parts for T's.

12. panthershaun

panthershaun
    from Kent UK

good man, got my first T project middle of last year, now the proud owner of not only the project but a complete, unmolested 26 T coupe as well and I have another 26 T coupe body on route to me as we speak..damn addictive is T ownership :cool:

13. anteek49

anteek49

What song and what lyrics? I need one like that for a spare body I have.

14. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive
    from staples mn

Hey, I've found a steering box. I'm not sure what it's out of, I think it might be mustang. It's froze up, but I can probably unlock it easily.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Would this work for the T?

ccd

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Keep picking up parts even if you don't need them for your project, you can sell them to fund the T rebuilt. Bob

16. charliechaindrive

charliechaindrive
    from staples mn

Exactly my plan. Found a set of wide 5 bolt 39 ford axles with hydraulic brake hardware intact for 100$, good deal I assume? Would the Axles swap onto the T easily? Or would I be better off keeping the stock axles reselling the 39s to fund the t?