Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Weesner Inspired Hot Rod (Lit Up)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 193257, Jan 10, 2011.

1. I love your work

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. oldman2

oldman2

Every time I look at your work I'm blown away...Jim

3. I always look forward to your updates Jimmy. Fantastic work! Oh and to post bigger pictures it is easiest to host them on another picture hosting site like photobucket. Then when you are posting click on the yellow square tab at the top of the reply that looks like a mountain and a sun and copy the link from the host site and they will show up full size rather than thumbnails.

4. Wow, I too am amazed at your ability to make new panels and you make it look so simple, thank you so much for sharing with us. One question I would like to know though is..... do you personally know Mr Weesner well as you have a lot of detail that doesn't always show in his art work ? Does he do extra drawings from different angles for you to know what is used and where ?

5. The pictures are just fine. It's no big thing to click on them to make them bigger. I can't wait to see what you do today. Are you going to chrome plate the running boards?

6. daddio211

daddio211

Please don't use a photo hosting site. They change policies, change URL's, owners move things and these threads lose incredibly valuable pictures. I'll write a post later showing the very easy procedure to host photos here and make them appear large if anyone is interested.

Look back at some old threads and it's sad how many important pictures are missing!

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

7. daddio211

daddio211

My '27 T Roadster build: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

8. 1929CDAN

1929CDAN

Just let us click on them to make the ones we need to see bigger, Don`t mess with a good thing. Great work.

9. TV

TV

All I can say is Jimmy you are the MAN, your talent is remarkable. You can do a little bit of everything.--TV Or a lot of everything.

10. 32STUPRES

32STUPRES

Jimmy, good to see you are back working on the truck, er Lit Up! As I have said before, you ( and your family) are not only extremely talented, but are about as nice a bunch a person will ever meet! Hope to see yall and Lit Up in 2014.............Joe

Give your " crazy" wife a big hug for me! :cool: :rolleyes: ;) and by the way, the small pics are better because they don't take up a whole page and wear out the roller on my mouse!

11. Royalshifter

Royalshifter
    from California

Absolutely wonderful.

12. hasty

hasty

Thank you for the updates - really informative (and inspiring)

13. Jimmy Hervatin

Jimmy Hervatin
    from Midwest MO

Well been working on both rear fenders. I needed to make rear bottom patch panels for both fenders. The R/H side had to be a little bigger than the other, do to damage on the wire edge of the fender. The wire edge on both fenders was not good and they were rusty of course. So I removed the wire. I made new wire out of 5/16" stainless steel. I made the rear patches blend to the bumper better.( Raised the rear at bumper up a 1/2") Needed to make front patch panels at running boards. These needed to be raised about 1" to line up with running board. Here are some pictures of the patch panels.
    rsz_p1010162.jpg
    rsz_p1010167.jpg
    Tacking and welding panels in.
    rsz_p1010163.jpg
    rsz_p1010164.jpg
    rsz_p1010165.jpg
    rsz_p1010169.jpg
    rsz_p1010170.jpg
    rsz_p1010172.jpg
    rsz_p1010173.jpg
    With all the panels welded in. I sand blasted the inside of both fenders.
    rsz_p1010168.jpg
    I then formed the stainless rod for the wire edge. I really made sure this wire fit and was straight around the wheel opening. As when you hammer it closed you want the fender edge to be straight. It will not be if the wire is not. Here is picture of wire formed.
    rsz_p1010171.jpg
    Next I started metal finishing the edges of the fenders before I put the wire in. In this I was straightening the metal, removing weld beads as I went along the edges. If I had put the wire in first it would be next to impossible to get a nice finished job. Here are some pictures of the edges finished.
    rsz_p1010174.jpg
    rsz_p1010175.jpg
    rsz_p1010176.jpg
    Next I will be hammering the wire edge in after I put some primer on the edges. As to the question Whiplash1923T asked about Weez,I don't talk to him very much. The last time I talked to him was last year at the GNRS. I am always glad to see him ,but I don't want to be some pain in the ass to him. I look at it as I am the guy who wanted to build it, I have to figure something's out myself. We talked a couple of years ago about the painting at a show. He told me some of the details he put into the painting. Such as the truck was sectioned , louvers in the running boards, etc. I had asked about the rear of the truck. And he mentioned 49 Plymouth wagon bumper. That is where I got the idea for the rear bumper I made. I Think Weez is the most talent artist out there doing art work on traditional hot rods and kustoms. He has a style of his own. When I see his paintings I can imagine being there in the car. I think people could get a lot of good ideas by studying his paintings. I just want to do the best job I can on the truck and make it look as much like the painting as possible. I can only hope that me doing these trucks that it brings him more fame and fortune. He is truly a gifted person. Till next time.

62hotcat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  14. I forgot about this thread I didn't forget about the truck!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

15. oldman2

oldman2

Just beautiful detailed work, always happy to see your work...Jim

16. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

as much as i love the drawing and don't care for raw steel customs, it would be a shame to cover this craftsmanship w/paint. unbelievable build.

17. 1 KooL "MoFo"

1 KooL "MoFo"

WOW ! Mad crazy skills Real clean job! Can't wait to see more Pic's

18. Thank you Jimmy for answering my question and I do agree with you, Mr Weesner is a fantastic artist just as you are. Your ability to take somebodies vision and make it a reality is absolutely mind blowing and show that you too sir, are as much a master craftsman and artist as Mr Weesner. I had wondered if in speaking with the artist he had filled in the gaps as to what one can't see in the original painting so thanks again for the answer.
    Mark, Whiplash.

19. Jimmy Hervatin

Jimmy Hervatin
    from Midwest MO

Well I got my magic wand out and after 3 waves POOF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    P1010187.jpg
    P1010186.jpg
    P1010185.jpg
    Well if only it was that easy and fast. I straightened the fenders the old time way. Hammer dolly - file , hammer dolly - file, well it takes a little time but you can sure get a nice panel when you are done. This is the way the old time bodyman did it. I then sanded the fenders.
    P1010184.jpg
    P1010183.jpg
    P1010182.jpg
    P1010180.jpg
    P1010179.jpg
    P1010178.jpg
    P1010177.jpg
    Well next up is the grille and front bumper.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  20. Wow beautiful work as always!!

21. Outstanding quality of work with a beautiful result!

22. Church

Church
    from South Bay

Drool! Jimmy.....you win!!!!

23. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

24. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

25. cody1958

cody1958
    from wichita ks

This truck is bad ass! When it's done it's going to be even more amazing!

26. Deadbird

Deadbird

Amazing! Those fenders look incredible.

27. wlspdshop

wlspdshop
    from Missouri

One word.....Wow!

28. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I am starting to hate this guy! LOL. What a amazing build!

29. ryno

ryno

top notch stuff as usual jimmy. glad to see you getting some time in on it.

30. alchemy

alchemy

After all this work to make it just like the painting, why'd you go and paint it silver (post #740)? ;)

Must have taken lots of filler and blocking to get such a smooth paint job.