Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Has anyone over 63 ever FINISHED a project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jan 1, 2014.

?

I FINISHED a car Project after I was:

Poll closed Jan 8, 2014.
  1. 65

88 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. 70

20 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. 75+

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. AlbuqF-1

AlbuqF-1
    from NM

I have a friend who is 75, and just started on a '50 Ford F-4 project. He's already swapped out the rear end, engine, trans, and painted the bodywork... expects to be driving it in about 4 months.

2. fatkoop

fatkoop

I'm 68. Still out in the shop everyday. Finish my next project? Maybe. For me, it's always been the journey, not the destination. If you are enjoying what you're doing, does it really matter if you "finish" or not?

Tony Martino likes this.
  3. WILLIAM PRICE

WILLIAM PRICE
    from LAS VEGAS

there never finished!!!!!!

4. kscarguy

kscarguy

If this thread is still going in many, many future years, then I'll answer you.

5. 29moonshine

29moonshine

i will be 65 this yr. i hope to finish my 36 basket case suburban this yr

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      505.7 KB
      Views:
    • 027.jpg
      027.jpg
      File size:
      331.8 KB
      Views:
  6. I am 67 soon to be 68. Built and finished a 37 Chev coupe last year and am now finishing the interior in my 64 Chev post car. That will be done for spring. Then on to my 31 coupe.
    By comparison, my friend Bruce builds a car a year. Last year it was a 32 roadster and this year it will be a 31 2 door sedan. And on the side he is finishing a sprint car for a customer.

7. mj40's

mj40's

66 here and I can proudly say that I have finished everyone that I started on. Now back to the garage so I don't make a lier out of myself.

8. 33sporttruck

33sporttruck

Bob, I hope your post was meant to inspire old guys like me. A few months ago I bought a 36 Chevy Standard Coach (Flat Back) I have plans to drive this Old Girl if I can convince my body to cooperate long enough.
    I get in the garage a lot more since this car joined the other two in the shop. I just can't get away from this madness.......... Will be 67 in August, Jeff

Lobucrod likes this.
  9. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

:DWell I had never been 70 before last year and I'm still working on my '27 Roadster, so I guess the answer would be not yet!

10. bobadame

bobadame

I turned 65 2 months ago. I currently have a cyclecar project that will be on the road by early summer. I still have a full time job and a part time machine shop business and a rental house that I'm remodeling in order to sell. Pretty busy lately. In the wings is a '29 roadster pickup (El Pachuco), a '48 Flxible Clipper, a '49 GMC pickup. a '68 Chevy pickup, an XS650 Horex clone, a '74 BMW tii, and a barn full of old motorcycles to tinker with. And if I live long enough, a drop tank lakester project. I have good health, a few dollars but not much time. I'll retire from my day job in 2 years.

11. adam401

adam401

Man, there's alot of names in this thread that I recognize but didn't know were so lets say, senior to me. I always have this image in my head when I'm on here that most are mid 30's pricks like me. I'll start watching my mouth a little more now.

Tony Martino likes this.
  12. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

A 'finished' ride is not a desirable state to me. Finish my labor of love, and sure enough then it would be worth enough that I'd be forced to sell, and married, the money would certainly end up going for the house or something the wife wished for, and I would likely be out of the old car hobby permanently.
    Its a fine balancing act, nice enough that I can enjoy it, but not so nice that I'll need to sell it.
    So although I keep the mechanical aspects in good operating condition, even toss on some speed equipment, I'm perfectly content with genuine 'patina', and blanket upholstery. And although I have all the equipment, and more than enough time and experience to use it, there'll be never be shiny paint in my future.

13. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

When it is sold ! Then u are finished with it !

14. morac41

morac41

HI ..... I'm in the 70-75 group and not far off finishing my custom 49 Caddy...still have a 41 Caddy to build .....so I can see myself up for another 5 -6 years of work.......takes time to complete tasks but keeps the mind clear....

15. Started this one at age 63. I'm 65 now. Health issues slowed me down. I used to do one every-other winter. It's a '53 Willys wagon on a '98 Dakota chassis. 318, 5spd. 3.55 rear. Snow pic is last year. It's back in the snow with a chopped-top now, (Tarped, this year).

Attached Files:

16. Retro61

Retro61

My oldest Brother is 72, he is still driving his '48 Ford Sedan, he's had since about 1960! He's helped his Kids and myself, with many projects through the years.
    He is currently building a Fenderless Model A Pickup ! Pretty much doing everything himself!! He built the Frame, and is now doing the Bodywork & plans on Spraying the paint!
    He's a Hot Rodder from the '50's,and Loves it as much today as he did then!!

17. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Too young to vote in the poll, as the lowest age is 65, and I'm only 63! But I got my last one on the road last year when I turned 63, and am finishing up the body work to paint this year. Hope I've still got a few more builds left in me now! I'm building a car for a neighbor/friend presently, and he's got another he wants after this one is done.

cktasto likes this.
  18. SanDiegoHighwayman

SanDiegoHighwayman

My 40+ year "project" car was destroyed in seconds 08/10/11 :mad:

4 engines, 4 transmissions, 2 differentials, 2 restorations, 600,000+ miles driven --

I MISS it --- don't have it in me to fix it agin -- but -- I'm "keepin on" w my backup vehicle @ 66 this year :) --

19. R A Wrench

R A Wrench
    from Denver, Co

Finished? I've had my 34 on the road since 85 & that is a question I have heard many times. I am getting the bugs worked out of the 49 F-1 and plan to get some hiway on it this summer towing the canned ham camper that is now underway. I have several more projects stashed away and am collecting parts for them. I turned 67 in December and am running low on car buddies to lend a hand.

20. DH9185

DH9185

I'm soon to be 68 and finished my '39 Chevy vets tribute street/strip coupe 5 years ago. Still drive it to shows and race it all summer long. I wouldn't hesitate to start a '56 Chevy gasser project if I found the right one at the right price, and that's despite health issue (100% disabled vet) that I struggle with.

Starting and finishing projects has little to do with age. It's health, money, desire/persistence, skill and attitude. I think, by far, you'll find more disillusioned and unskilled young guys out there with unfinished projects than you will among we "old dudes.". Just my two cents.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  21. bobadame

bobadame

I forgot to mention that Gene Winfield must be getting close to his 90's. He's built a few.

22. wheels1950

wheels1950
    from PA. USA

Workin on finishing one now and hope to get another done in mid summer.
    Built a 48 Chevy pickup a few years ago
    Real car guys don't give up.
    Oh yeah do all my own work
    Fab ,body,paint,and suspension just don't do motors I buy them new it's cheaper than rebuilding them
    Frank

Attached Files:

23. hupster

hupster
    from california

I finished this when I was 66. I hope to finish the next one (another shoebox woodie) this year and then it's on to the next one. I'm 68 and will turn 69 in October.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  24. Hot Rod Jerry

Hot Rod Jerry

Yep, 70 now, but finished my car while recovering from bypass surgery when I was 65.Installed glass ,learned how to sew and installed the EZ wiring harness.

25. indianhead74

indianhead74

LOL, I have a couple of years before 63, but a lot more years behind me than in front. What I give up in youthfull vigor is supplemented by a little more patience. I agree with the guys that just keep on building whether it gets done or not doesnt really matter . Hey,I'll be lack of interest if the widow sells my unfinished project

26. LAROKE

LAROKE

Yeah, yeah. I'm workin' on it.

27. My dad did his last paint job when he was 78, he lived until he was 84 and had project cars as log as I remember, I'm 59 now and wondering how he did it.

28. Dude, just saw your car in Hot Rod today, cool.

Back on topic, 63 and finishing a '57 150 by spring, lookiing for the next project.

29. chopped

chopped

Only 64 when I swapped the engine/trans, rebuilt the suspension in the Buick. Did the body work and paint. Did my first and last conv. top. Now 68 and I'll let you know when the 55 Chevy is done.

Attached Files:

30. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

never have---got one i been messing with for nearly 49 years---3 more for less than a year---like the learning and the crafting more than waxing and sitting in a lawn chair...