Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Header wrap question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by CJ 56 hemi, Jan 4, 2014.

1. CJ 56 hemi

CJ 56 hemi
    from NJ

Just used the 2" x 50' Premium header wrap from Jegs to wrap my 56 Desoto hemi headers. I have the SS cable ties but am wondering if anyone has a few pics of how they tied their headers...

Attached Files:

2. 66tintop

66tintop
    from Canada

I have never used the pos ss ties, I just use ss safety wire for the creative look !

3. Seems there was a thread here or fordbarn about header wrap not
    being a good idea-corrosion?

4. George

George

There are stories of the heat cooking the carbon out of the steel causing wrapped headers to fail.

5. Hollow65

Hollow65

I've seen them trap moisture and cause mad corrosion problems. I still might use them myself though..

6. I did the same once ago....Garage kept car-out of the elements. Driven regularly,and upper egt temps.
    Low and behold,one day I have to un-wrap the tubes for some unknown reason,and my "nice/new once upon a time,expensive as hell headers" looked like crap. =Moisture Trap......
    Never again.
    I would only use wrap if my exhaust is close to something that I feel would'nt like/tollerate heat.

7. 32fordrat

32fordrat

No need for it unless your working on it while its hot. I raced for 15 years. Used it at first but rotted a couple pair of headers. never used it again and never had any problems

8. CJ 56 hemi

CJ 56 hemi
    from NJ

for now the engine is just on a stand and I have yet to decide where it is going to go. I sure do like the look though. If someone can post a few pictures of the wrap wire tied that would be most helpful. I already snipped a few of those shi..y SS cable ties off. They are a bitch to get tight enough..

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Will only wrap headers for customers if they are stainless. I use safety wire.

10. barett

barett
    from Taylor TX

I just want to see more pictures of that engine!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. 64*thunderbolt

64*thunderbolt

I had a bad experience with thermo wrap.I purchased a new set of headers for my 83 Bronco 351w, and wrapped the headers with thermal wrap. After a couple of trips to the lake with the boat in tow, I heard a ticking noise,found a hole burnt through one of the primary tubes about 2" from the head.replaced the headers, (voided the warranty of course)tossed the wrap in the trash can.use only on stainless headers.

12. stimpy

stimpy

those zip ties are junk , use safety wire looks better and holds tighter and cheaper too .

13. luke13

luke13

have you tryed cv joint boot ties? they look tidy and hold well, i hate header wrap with a passion.

14. Hollow65

Hollow65

My headers are coated,would it help fight the corrosion at all? I run a blower so the cooler my engine bay the better. Any thoughts?

15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll catch flack but that is the ugliest stuff a guy can stick on his car or bike and why use it unless you have a real heat issue like blistering the paint on hood side panels?

16. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

I used the stuff once. i used rebar tie wire to attach it. Guess what it lasted longer than the header did. I blew a big hole in it right where the four pipes came together.

17. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

GOOGLE "header wrap". After reading about 50 links telling people NOT to use it, go get some safety wire or stainless clamps and have at it. But do everyone a favor, in about a year or so, make a thread about header repair. Information is good.

This stuff is comparable to wiring money to the nephew of the king of Dumbfukia. Some people have to live the experience, in order to get it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  18. Dan Timberlake

Dan Timberlake