Register now to get rid of these ads!

R.I.P. Phil Everly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Jan 3, 2014.

1. I usually keep my 2 cents to myself but I played alot of rockabilly in the 80's. I feel Johnny Cash and the Everly Brothers are absolutely the 2 most original acts of the 50's.
    Yes, Elvis was huge, Gene Vincent and the Bluecaps were great but no one else sounded like the The Everly Brothers.
    I truly feel blessed to have seen them perform live.
    Thanks for letting us all in on the sad news.
    RIP

2. The Everly Brothers music was a part of our bands song list every time we played,loved their music. HRP

3. Their music is, and has always been, timeless. There's never a bad time to listen to an Everly Brothers song. They had a great sound.

4. frank spittle

frank spittle

Our parents liked the Everly Brothers as much as us teenagers did in the '50s. Absolutely no conflict with their style of Rock n Roll.

5. They made a lot of great and timeless music.
    RIP Phil.

6. rjaustin421

rjaustin421

I went to an Everly Brothers show at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center in Saratoga NY in the early 80's or so and they put on an incredible show. Their voices were as great as ever & it is a show that I will never forget, what incredible musical talent.

7. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Used to go to the "sock hops" at the Starline Ballroom in Carroll, Iowa, first saw Don and Phil there...along with many more "unknowns" at the time: The Beach Boys, Sonny and Cher, The Fendermen, Bobby Vinton, Del Shannon and many more...KIOA radio played the Everly's all the time. Sad to see one of the greats leave us.

R-

8. 40fordtudor

40fordtudor

Seems to be no end to the losses---RIP.

9. The Everly Brothers were always a favorite at our house growing up.

Back when my older brother was little, he used to love to sit in the living room with my Dad and listen to 45s. My Dad had a 45 of the Everly Brothers' "Wake Up Little Susie". Every time that record played, my brother would get up and go to the record player and bop to the song. It was the only song he would do that for. Not long after, my folks had my older sister, and because of that song and my brother liking it so much, they named her Susie.

To this day, every time the family is together, if "Wake Up Little Susie" plays on the radio, we all tell my sister, they're playing your song.

Sad to hear of Mr. Everly's passing. Another great has left us. Vaya con Dios..........E

10. You got that right Frank,my parents listened to and sang right along with their records. HRP

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sad to see that, those guys were some of my favorites when I was in my teens.

12. Lukydevl

Lukydevl
    from Arizona

Very sad News.. Good thing I'm on the HAMB, or I may not have even heard of this..
    R.I.P PHIL EVERLY...

13. Model T1

Model T1

RIP Phil. So close to 75 myself, I think back often of life and music long ago. Life is short. Enjoy your family, friends, and hobbys. Let the music live on.

14. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Sad news. I remember doing the dirty bop with my GF dancing to the music back in the late 1950's. The Everly Brothers were so good. RIP Phil

15. frank spittle

frank spittle

This is one of their last videos when they were touring with Simon & Garfunkle in 2004 when both Everlys were mid to late sixties in age. This video is especially enjoyable to me because I like seeing entertainers I greatly admire looking the age I am instead of what we looked like 50 years ago.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Q6zg90dxk

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  16. Model T1

Model T1

Thanks Frank for adding the video. For a short time I was a teenager again. Another great singing legend has left us. Can't believe our local country station never mentioned the passing of Phil Everly.

17. XERB

XERB

Very cool, sadly so many of the greats are leaving us...their memory lives on and we are eternally grateful for them allowing us to enjoy their music, sad day for music, sad day for the family, just reminds us all how precious life is...R.I.P. Phil.

18. frank spittle

frank spittle

Don & Phil.jpg Today would have been Phil's 75th birthday. He was still a teenager in 1957 when he and brother Don recorded "Bye Bye Love", their first pop hit. It went all the way to #2, behind Elvis' #1 "Teddy Bear". Thanks for the great music.....and memories.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  19. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

In Shenandoah Iowa, they have restored there childhood home. I was crusing the strip with my windows rolled down in my avatar when they had a big homecoming concert outdoors in 86. It wasn`t cool for a 16 year old to like that kind of music. But as I drove by, I would sing to myself every song, and I did know all the songs they played that night. If you are ever in Shen(it`s what the locals call it), stop and eat at the Depot across from there childhood home. The owner played a big roll in getting the house restored. Then go skating at the roller rink where they used to play and check out there bowling alley. Those two places haven`t changed much in all these years.

20. midnightpumpkin

midnightpumpkin

Does anyone remember that back in the day, the Everly Brothers each had a cool '57 Buick with Gene Watson style scallops? I have searched for a picture of these cars but come up empty. The cars were featured in one of the small car magizines of the day.
    RIP Phil, the music will live on.
    John U

21. toml24

toml24

My favorite song by the Everly Brothers is "When will I be loved"

22. Loved their music.

23. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Oh what memories,lost another piece of the soundtrack of my life. RIP Phil.

24. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Well said i.rant. I like their music today as much as I did the first time I heard it.

25. slowmotion

slowmotion

R I P Phil. Those brothers laid harmony tracks for many to learn on. Like HRP, we always had a couple of E Bros tunes in the set list in the early days. Sweet music lives on.

26. AV8 Dave

AV8 Dave

I had two close friends back then, all of us in our early teens, both named Brian. We regularly spun Everly Bros. records (along with all the other then-current artists) and the two Brians would sing along. They sounded so close to Don and Phil it was scary! That is, until their voices changed and then any chance for a tribute band evaporated!

slowmotion and 26 T Ford RPU like this.