Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dad-bud

dad-bud

I visited the Don Garlits Museum of Drag Racing in Ocala, Fla a few weeks ago - it is jam-packed with historical cars and artefacts that Don has amassed over a lifetime of racing and his business.
    One building has some restored cars from the 20's through the 70's with some truly beautiful examples that Don and his friends have restored over time.
    I unfortunately only had a couple of hours to spare there, but you could spend a day or more.
    I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in our hobby - a great collection for all to share.

BTW, thanks to Dog427435 for posting a couple of pages of great variety - a little bit of everything - something for everyone, and anyone who isn't interested in looking can scroll past.

Oh yeah, and Happy New Year to everyone on the HAMB. May this thread keep going for a long time to come.
    Cheers. :) :) :)

2. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Butt Car

3. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Simple no people on board

4. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

5. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

6. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

We also lost Phil Everly today. RIP Phil.

7. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

8. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

9. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

10. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

10-ton Sargent plow, Portland Company, ca. 1920

Back to Search Results
    [​IMG]
    Item 8942 zoom [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Purchase a reproduction of this item on VintageMaineImages.com.

Description

"Sitting behind the Portland Company foundry, this Caterpillar "60" has a 10-ton Sargent snowplow with side wing plows on each side. Here we can see how extensive the pulley system is to raise the plows."--Fletcher, David H. 'The Portland Company 1846-1982.' Charleston, S.C. : Arcadia Pub., 2002. 113.

11. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

12. hudson48

hudson48

I was going to respond on this photo earlier and had the same thoughts about the Hudson's. Then I realised that this was a picture of the cars coming 4th,5th and 6th.The Hudson's had already gone past.

13. barstowpo

barstowpo

I thought that Riverside pic looked more like 7a.

14. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]

Somewhere in Texas

15. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Re: post #87283
    This picture is from one of the Beatles' 1965 American stadium tour shows (notice the scoreboard and grandstand in the background). They did 10 or 12 shows in venues such as Shea Stadium - New York, Atlanta Stadium, Comisky Park - Chicago and Metropolitan Stadium - Minneapolis/St.Paul as well as the Cow Palace in San Francisco and the Hollywood Bowl in Los Angeles.

16. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that a roller to compress the snow? Would it not have been more practical to use a plow to remove the snow to an already firm surface? One would think that the compressed snow surface would deteriorate quite rapidly?
    But then, what would I know? I have only ever seen snow once and I was only about 13-14yo at the time!:p

Doc.

17. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Royal Australian Air Force CA-27 Sabre over the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

[​IMG]

The Australian built Sabre was considerably re-designed in comparison with the US Sabre. The main changes were the GEJ47 engine being replaced with the RR Avon, the fuselage was shorter, wider with an enlarged intake to accommodate the Avon power plant. As a result the Aussy Sabre was known as the 'Avon Sabre' (Such imagination!).
    They were also equipped with two 30mm Aden cannons in place of the regular six .50 guns.
    Reputedly the Aussy Sabre was a superior performing aircraft in comparison with the regular F-86, though I have no proof to supply you with to confirm it. It may just have been posturing on behalf of CAC the Australian manufacturer.

Cheers,
    Doc.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  18. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks Dog for all those great Kodachrome pix!
    Digital can't compare!

19. BornBuick

BornBuick

That cadillac must be turning off to make way for the chevy/ford day parade. Must of been pay day down at the shoe factory cause they are taking to the streets.

Attached Files:

20. BornBuick

BornBuick

Wind Tunnel at the Buick Plant: Either testing to see if the front bumper will hold or if the top will stay on :)

Attached Files:

21. BornBuick

BornBuick

yeah that was taken at the NY stadium concert in mid 64 as they are clearly outside and not in a studio plus on both of their Ed Sullivan Show appearances they wore their iconic black "bobby" collar less suits with beatle boots.

22. A great clip showing the B36. This movie reminds me of an Air Force recruiting film; I wonder how many joined because of it - or just to avoid getting drafted into the Army or Marines. The full-length movie shows many 'new' vehicles from that period; I especially like the General's Buick staff car.

Movie is from about 1954 - and the Cold War was at full tilt:

23. 1953, can't tell if this kid is smiling, or cringing!

[​IMG]

24. This is from 1957 - small town pure Americana and my childhood hometown. I was in the parade but not in this clip, which was taken by my aunt.

Notice the big building in the background is the old Ford Carburetor Plant, later to become a Kelsey Hayes Brake plant and now is long gone. My aunt worked at that factory for several years before it relocated to another area in southeast Michigan

The Milford MI GM Proving Grounds was a few miles out of town, it was a huge influence on the community and it seemed that everyone either knew someone who worked there, or did so themselves. In addition to the Carb Plant, Ford's Wixom MI Assembly Plant was also a few miles from town. Notice in the film, the GM experimental cars, the Buick, and the 'new' 57 TBird.

25. Sears Automotive Dept, about 1955:

[​IMG]

26. Note the shoebox Ford sitting in front of the building. I think that truck is a Reo.

[​IMG]

27. Auto Parts Counter, about 1946
    [​IMG]

28. Pontiac Parts Counter, also about 1946

[​IMG]

29. IHC & Farmall Parts Counter during the WWII years - about '44

[​IMG]

30. Auto Parts Counter, about 1938

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.