Register now to get rid of these ads!

Axle Help Please

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fortunateson, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Happy Near Year to all! And now I need some advice. I was re-installing my rear axles on a '42 Fargo after replacing the inner and outer seals. the shop manual states that there should be .003-.008 end play for the axles. I have none. I don't want to disturb the outer bearing cup so I'm not sure what to do. Would pulling the axles a little solve my problem? Also, is the correct sequence of parts : shim, backing plate, gasket, and then outer seal? The manual isn't all that clear on this point. Thanks in advance.

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

3. von Dyck

von Dyck

My '57 manual shows the shims between the axle housing flange and the backing plate. The outer bearing cup must move outward (by whatever amount necessary to obtain axle end clearance). Make sure the opposite axle can also move in and out. FYI, there is a floating thrust block located between the inner axle ends inside the differential case.
    The '42 Fargo only wants .003 to .008 total end play? The '57 manual calls for .013 to .018" end play. This spec never changed all the way through the "60s.

4. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks for the reply. Just as I figured. There was only one shim on one side as per when the truck was aquired. So now I have to see if the shims are available. I think I may have a set around here somewhere but just where may be an issue! I had changed to 3.54 rear end gears for drivability reasons and was changing the seals, etc. as well. So here on in it should be a breeze.

Where abouts in Sask. are you located? I was born in Regina but moved here to BC when I was 2 years old; parents were moving and I had no education or job prospects so I went along as well!

5. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Does anyone know where I can get rear axle shims for 39-47 Dodge/Fargo 1/2 pick-ups? P/N? Thanks.

6. Snot Rocket

Snot Rocket

If you have one, why not make what you need? If you have brass or steel shim stock, they can be cut with scissors.

7. daliant

daliant

A beer can is about 0.004 thick and easily cut with scissors, hint hint.

8. Just don't empty to many cans before you start cutting...:D

9. von Dyck

von Dyck

Yeh, make yur own! Did you remember to pack the axle bearings with grease? They won't get gear lube because of the seals.

Estevan, but not native to the area.

10. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Thanks all especially the beer can solution. All done today. The end play on both sides is .004 but what is interesting is that on the passenger side it only took 2 shims and the driver's side took 9 shims. But I believe the end play is the important point here. I wonder if the axles are slightly different lengths? And yes I did pack the bearings so all should be good.