Register now to get rid of these ads!

R.I.P. Phil Everly

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by frank spittle, Jan 3, 2014.

1. frank spittle

frank spittle

Phil Everly has passed at age 74. He and his brother Don were Rock N Roll pioneers and influenced countless musicians. I grew up listening to their hits and still enjoy their harmonies as much as ever. I feel like I have lost an old friend. My condolences to his family.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
    chopper99 likes this.
  2. So sad. We are quickly losing all the legends. They blended together perfectly.

chopper99 likes this.
  3. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

Sad to hear. R.I.P

4. Rock on, Phil,,RIP

5. TubT

TubT
    from Texas

Do you think his brother now regrets all the years they didn't speak to each other?

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

x2 Loved all the "brother" groups: Righteous, Walker, and Everly. RIP Phil

7. Ahhhh, the memories....R.I.P. Phil.

8. choptop40

choptop40

hey hey sounds like a celebration of phils accomplishments...rock on phil...

9. Few understand harmony, but those brothers were the perfect example of harmony.
    R.I.P.

10. Flags should be flying at half-staff in Shenandoah, Iowa...my mother-in-law remembers listening to them perform on KMA radio live and perform at local shows when they were starting out in the mid-late '40s-early '50s, before they moved to Nashville and then hit the big-time.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  11. sorry to hear....bet the heaven's are rockn' tonight....

12. Hearts and prayers go out to his family.
    The world lost another pioneer.
    I remember as a kid, driving across country with my family in the 60s, singing along to the Everly Brothers.

R.I.P. Phil Everly

13. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Sad news. They had fantastic harmony. I remember the video for "On the Wings of a Nightingale" where they restored a '57 Chevy ragtop, if I remember correctly. They still had the sound. Rest in peace.

14. hallrods

hallrods

My Dad's favorite band.

15. robber

robber

Phil and Don; brothers; perfect musical fusion; breathtaking harmonies; at the forefront of rock 'n' roll; Bye Bye Love; Wake up Little Suzie; Dream; Bird Dog; Problems; Let It Be Me; Rip It Up; Be Bop A-Lula; Cathy's Clown... American kids, Hot Rodders and music in the 50's, would not have been the same without the Everly Brothers! Rest In Peace Brother Phil... and thank you!

16. frank spittle

frank spittle

They did have a period of not being close but toured together in 2004 and 2005. They still sounded great.

Here is the list of the first Rock n Roll Hall of Fame members (1986)

Chuck Berry
    James Brown
    Ray Charles
    Sam Cooke
    Fats Domino
    Everly Brothers
    Buddy Holly
    Jerry Lee Lewis
    Little Richard
    Elvis Pressley

That is some great company

17. Sad news indeed, grew up on their music and now play some of the songs in my band. R.I.P it up Phil. JW

18. rd4pin

rd4pin
    from louisiana

Sorry to hear of his death, my condolences to his family.
    I was a big fan of the Everly Brothers, both R & R and other also. My favorite non rock song was "That Silver Haired Daddy of Mine" and who can forget "Wake up Little Susie, it ruled.
    He will be missed.

19. Just listening to 'Let It Be Me' last week and thinking about when I first heard that song. I was about 7 - 8 years old and even then I knew their harmony was special. They have always been one of my favorite duos.
    Godspeed Phil.

20. Dan in Pasadena

Dan in Pasadena

Wow, I hadn't heard all day. Very sad the best of the old guard are leaving us.

Rest in Peace Phil, you entertained a LOT of people. Rest in peace.

21. picked up on them later in life when i was in high school in 1985..i went out and got a tape of their hits...loved every one of them..true talent...unlike todays singers..hey were a class act all the way...

22. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

My Dad worked at Midway Chevrolet in St Paul until 1961 just down the road from the Prom Ballroom,I was lucky enough to see Don & Phil twice they were great showmen and Phil drove the gals crazy,also got to see Buddy Holley and the Crickets the Big Bopper and Richie Valens about a week and a half "Before the Music Died" thankfully the memories live on thanks to youtube posting some great footage.

23. skoh73

skoh73

Grew up listening to my pop's music and loving it. Everly Brothers were in there for sure. Rock N' Roll Heaven just got another great singer.

24. skoh73

skoh73

...not to mention the fact that the Everly Brothers were part of Sir Paul McCartney's song "Let 'Em In"!

25. Deuces

Deuces

I'm lost for words here.....:(
    R.I.P.

26. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Sad news. Cathy's Clown has some special memories for me.

27. Villlage Idiot

Villlage Idiot

When I woke up this morning I turned on the radio and caught the five minute CBS news at the top of the hour. There was no mention of Phil Everly's passing but in case anybody cares a singer named Kei$ha ( I had to look it up) entered rehab for an eating disorder on Friday.

I'm not sure where we're headed but it's a damn shame when a Rock and Roll Hall of Famer passes away and it's not important enough to be mentioned on the national news.

RIP Mr. Everly

28. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Guess it's a sign of age that so many of the well-known names of my youth are passing: Peter O'Toole, Joan Fontaine, Tom Laughlin (Billy Jack), Annette Funicello, George Jones, even Slim Whitman, and now Phil Everly:( "I'm so lonesome every day."

29. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Man oh man, what friggin' sad news. The harmonizing of Don and Phil Everly was the best. The world of music is a sadder place now. RIP Phil.

As an aside, if anybody wants to listen to a cuople people sing that will make you close your eyes and think of Don & Phil, have a listen to Nora Jones and Billy Joe, (sorry I can't think of his last name right now, but he is the lead singer for a group called Green Day) on an album entitled "Foreverly." It will give you the chills...