Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Saw a Futurliner that was a flatbed tow today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbacca, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Mercman4life

Mercman4life

Really cool. Must be a blast to drive.

2. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

When these pictured here were kitted over from the Streamliners they orginally had 4 banger Detroits,in one of the retrofits the Jimmy 302 and a Hydro Matic were swapped in,I imagine under powered is not the word here as these things weighed about 33,000 pounds,thats why they had dual tires and wheels on the steer axle. When we rolled across the weigh stations to and from Wash the front axle weighed in at about 12,500 and that was with an army jeep and a little electric Gym catr on it.

Who's been asking about parts on Inliners.

3. adam401

adam401

I sat in the drivers seat of the one that's in Maine when it was sitting in the yard of a rental property in Newfield's (?) NewHampshire. A friend of mine tracked it down. We knew it had been in a NH salvage yard then sold nearby so we ust srove around a few towns asking people and found it up a hill in a yard. So cool, so rusty. The pedals are grooved metal that are flush with the drivers floor. Space age.

4. ssffnomad

ssffnomad

Windshield is damn cool for its day.

5. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Busesforsale.com has a complete Futureliner with a custom interior and paint for sale. They want 795,000 for it. It's been for sale for quite a while.

6. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Thats the Valdez liner, the doors were so bad they fiber glassed them shut or made new fiberglass panels that don't open,from what I've been told,its close to this one here but I haven't gone to see it.

7. D-man313

D-man313

Were only 12 made?

8. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Yes, I belive there are nine accounted for

9. http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/...as-a-car-hauler-comes-up-for-sale/?refer=news

There wasn’t much left of the Futurliner that arrived at Brad Boyajian’s place in 2002. Rust had gnawed away at it over the previous half century, parts were missing, and the deal that brought it to Brad meant that the Futurliner would be separated from even more of its parts. There was little hope for a restoration, but Brad still saw potential in it, and now has put the result of that vision up for sale.

According to Brad, the previous owner, a man in Long Beach, California, had torn the Futurliner apart for a restoration, but ran out of money before he could make any progress. The team restoring the NATMUS Futurliner – Futurliner No. 10 – then waist deep in that truck’s restoration and still in need of some parts to finish it, caught wind of it and ended up working out a deal with Brad: In exchange for retrieving the Futurliner – which Brad identified as No. 5 – and stripping off the parts that the NATMUS team needed, Brad would keep the rest of it for parts to restore his other two Futurliners.

Along with some hardware and trim, the NATMUS team took the complete dual-wheel front axle assembly. The complete rear section of the Futurliner, including its rear axle, remained in good shape, so Brad cut them off and set them aside to use for the restoration of Futurliner No. 8, which had been rear-ended in an accident during the latter days of the General Motors Parade of Progress (and which has since traveled to Sweden for a full restoration). Most of the center section was far too rusted to be saved, so Brad scrapped it, leaving him with just the cab section and front sheetmetal, not a whole lot to work with.

Brad, who has plenty of heavy truck equipment on hand, still thought he could build something interesting with the remains of No. 5. He had a 1978 C.C.C. garbage truck hanging around that he didn’t have much use for, and plenty of other trucks he wanted to haul around to shows, so why not toss the Futurliner cab atop the garbage truck’s chassis and build one unique transporter out of the combination?

So over the last 10 years or so, as money and time allowed him, he did exactly that. Futurliner No. 5 now rides a 236-inch wheelbase on 20,000-pound air-sprung axles front and rear and gets its power from a Cummins NTC-230 855-cu.in. straight-six diesel engine running through an Allison 600-series five-speed transmission. Brad said the Cummins is substantially larger than the GMC straight-six gasoline engine that previously powered Futurliner No. 5, so to make it easy to work on the engine once installed, he converted the Futurliner front section into a tilt cab. At the same time, he fabricated a new body section to house the radiator for the Cummins behind the cab, and he made sure to include seating for four and air conditioning inside the cab. While the GM lettering on the nose of the cab is original, Brad had to source a windshield from somebody in Canada who had four new ones cast.

Out back, he extended the lower-body ribbing into a clamshell rear that when closed hides the electric-over-hydraulic ramps that enclose about 29 total feet of bed. Though Brad said he’s not sure what the current weight rating of the transporter is now, his photos show it hauling some rather heavy loads, including an 8,800-pound 1937 White Yellowstone Park bus. “Whatever we can put on it, we can put on it,” he said. In addition to 200 gallons of fuel capacity, Brad said he installed a train horn, 12,500-watt Onan generator, and 240-volt flood lights.

Though he said it could probably use a little more insulation around the cabin, Brad took the opportunity to drive the Futurliner up the West Coast to the American Truck Historical Society’s Seattle meet earlier this year. “On a long trip, it’s not a Cadillac,” he said. “It’s controllable, though it’s more noisy than it is hot.” The worst part about the trip, though, the part that Brad said drove him crazy, had nothing to do with the Futurliner’s driving characteristics. “Every time I had to stop for fuel, I had crowds of people around me asking about it. On the highway, I had people get in front of me and slow way down to get a picture of it.”

Partly due to the excess attention it received, but mostly because he wants to fund the completion of his other truck projects, Brad put the Futurliner up for sale in the February 2014 issue of Hemmings Motor News with an asking price of $1.25 million. That places it somewhere in between the reported $247,500 that Boyajian got for the unrestored Futurliner No. 3 in 2011 and the $4.1 million that Ron Pratte paid for a fully restored Futurliner in 2006. For more information, visit [URL="http://americanmovietrucks.com

10. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

11. verde742

verde742

I sold a OTIS the electric car,, To much fer me..

12. O.K;
    [​IMG]:)

13. grazy

grazy

Bangshift had a write up on it .

14. Green Rodz

Green Rodz

LOVE it.

MUST have. ;)

15. Maybe this is more like The37Kid's vision?- add your own side window ideas;
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  16. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

What about a matching trailer? That would be too cool

17. Smith Brother

Smith Brother

Here are a few pic's of my FuturLiner 30" long BUICK inspired HOT ROD BUS.

Not a kit, or no plans/instructions, all from scratch, and over 400 hours.

Dad was with Buick for over 60 years, so grew up with the Buick straight eight engine.

Note exhaust header has 8 ports, and 4 intake ports, just like the Buick head.

Dale in Indy

Attached Files:

18. RatPin

RatPin