Register now to get rid of these ads!

Are there company's to assist buying cars out of state?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mathew21, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Mathew21

Mathew21

OK maybe a strange question but here goes.

Living in Michigan it's pretty difficult to find rust free vintage cars or trucks. I have been looking for my next project. I want to find a truck with the least amount of rust possible. Browsing craigslist I see quite a few vehicles I would be interested in on the west coast. Are there licensed individuals to act as a middle man for purchases like this? I know there's auto brokers that deal in car purchases off of dealer lots.

Thanks, Matt

2. Ill bet if you find one you are serious about, you could get a HAMBer to go look.

3. Mathew21

Mathew21

Thanks for the reply. I have been lucky enough to have a couple fellow Hamb members help me out in the past with a couple purchases. They went and looked the trucks over and took more pictures for me. But the scary part was sending the money to the seller.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. Nothing better than your own eyes on something.

You just need to get below the rust belt, head straight south, see what you can find.

5. Take a trailer....Road trip.....if not trust the HAMB.....
    I inspect vintage cars for buyers...but I will not negotiate prices.

6. jesse1980

jesse1980

Man just go yourself on a little trip to look at a car and buy it. Having other people make decisions for you and sending money out on trust to people you never met is just asking for trouble.

7. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Would you close you eyes and hit "buy it now" on egay.

8. Mathew21

Mathew21

I appreciate everyone's replies. I have bought two vehicles site on seen the past with the help of hamb members. Both time members went and looked at them for me and took 25 plus pictures. The one that was drive able was taken for a test ride. I have was very happy with the vehicles when I received them. I have also passed on a few vehicles in the past with the help of hamb members and there advice. I work a mandatory 6 day 10 hour a day work week. I do get 2 weeks vacation a year. One in the summer that I spend with my family at our cottage. I also get one week at xmas time. Having young children that is usually quite a busy time of the year.

As I said I'm in the market for a project truck. $3000.00-$4000.00 range maybe a little higher. By the time I hook up a trailer and drive 2-3000 miles round trip to look at a project that I hope is as described by the seller. It is much cheaper to pay someone else for there time and expertise to look at something and have it shipped.

9. 73RR

73RR

So what, exactly, are you looking for? $3-$4k covers a lot of ground.

10. 19Fordy

19Fordy

"Google" a reputable and knowledgable appraiser in the area where the car is and have him inspect it and assess a fair selling price. Make sure to include specific questions you want answered in addition to his standard inspection form. Just make sure the appraiser is reputable and not "engaged" to the seller. I did that about 15 years ago and it cost me $150 including tons of photos and a video tape. The car was in Iowa and I am in FL. I didn't buy the car.

11. Mathew21

Mathew21

Great advice thank you.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using H.A.M.B. mobile app

12. Gman0046

Gman0046

Saw an add in the recent StreetScene of someone charging $300 to appraise vehicles.

13. freiertpc

freiertpc

hey bro ive got good friends in NC and FL. what ya looking for ive got some lines on cars.

14. If you don't go yourself, you are begging for something to go wrong.
    Inspections, Funds transfer, transport, title issues,
    You won't always get everything you beg for but why risk it unless you know you are a such a good price you can't get hurt.