Register now to get rid of these ads!

1947 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by herby on vi, Jan 2, 2014.

1. herby on vi

herby on vi

Hello everyone,

Thought I had started a new thread once but it didn't post so I'll try again. Considering swapping a generation lV aluminum block and transmission into my 1947 ford tudor. I'd appreciate input from hamb members and others as to the complexity of this swap. I've been quoted a price of approximately $2500 for a motor with transmission and computer plus harness. I like the idea of an aluminium engine with modern electronics but haven't heard much about the feasibility of the project. So far, I have installed a mustang ll Front end as well as a early 80s camaro rearend in the drive train and am at the point where the motor and trans need to be added.
    Will be grateful for all the information you can provide

Thanks

Herby in vi

2. alchemy

alchemy

This place isn't about modern motors. We are about pre-1964 styled stuff. You will get lots of guys recommending flatheads though. ;)

3. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I don't even know what a gen IV motor is.

4. herby on vi

herby on vi

Hello again,

A generation IV motor is GMC/Chevy motor produced after 2006 or thereabouts. The motor Size I am looking for is a 4.8 litre V-8 or other small block, whichever I can find within my price range.
    Sorry for not providing these details with my original thread.

Herb

5. You need to go to LS1Tech.com for information on what you're wanting to do. That is one of the major sites for the GM Gen III/IV/V engines.

You aren't going to get any help from the HAMB on your "Street Rod" type build with the Mustang II and Camaro suspensions, and late model drivetrain.

6. ........Probably the reasons why it didn't post.:rolleyes:

7. coryw

coryw
    from Omaha, NE

As stated you probably won't get much help on the engine here. There are some people very knowledgeable on m2 suspensions and under a full fendered car most people let that slide. The only useful thing I can add is that I believe there are conversion motor mounts (or adapters) that bolt to the LS blocks so they can take normal SBC motor mounts. If you can find one of those then you should be able to use SBC mounts which you can get fairly easily. No idea on the wiring.

8. The complexity of this swap is HIGH. Is your experience level also HIGH?? Ie: can you weld (necessary skill for this)?? Can you program (possibly necessary)?? Can you wire (necessary)?? Do you understand drivetrain dynamics (necessary)??

If not, expect to pay a lot.

Cosmo

9. 73RR

73RR

Yeah, you probably started a thread, and it was unceremoniously deleted due to the 'high' engine crap.

There simply is NO love for anything even remotely related to computer powered cars on this forum.

As cosmo points out, you have a very high bar to pass. How fat is your checkbook?