Register now to get rid of these ads!

1959 ford skyliner mild custom build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by floorjacks50, Jan 1, 2014.

1. floorjacks50

floorjacks50
    from napa

happy new year all!

i picked up this 59 retractable about three months back and haven't really done much other than clean the rodent shit out of it. just started pulling the 292 today. planning on swapping the runner from my 57 ranchero into it and hopefully have a runner in the next couple days

i'm going for a subtle mild custom look. kind of like floyd debore's 58 bonneville before watson paneled it.

Attached Files:

2. 2935ford

2935ford

another of my favourite Fords.....
    I had a '57 retactable in the mid 60's....sure wish I had it now.

3. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Man that's my absolute favorite car of all time!!!!
    I've got a 59 4 door in my shop now but ild give my first born for a retractable!
    Hope you do it justice and good luck. Hope you keep us posted on your progress.
    Ps. If you don't mind me asking. What did you pay for that fine automobile?
    later
    ken

4. FityFive

FityFive

My wife owns a 1957 Skyliner and we haven't decided on what direction we are going to take it in. I will be following your progress closely.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019

5. Squablow

Squablow

Neat car, looks like it's got '58 Edsel hubcaps on it. 59 Fords look really good with a '57 DeSoto front bumper on them, although they're really hard to find.

6. randy

randy

Clean start. Maybe I'll see you cruising it...

7. PTO

PTO
    from CA

The tops on those can be tricky, most can never get them to go up and down correctly. if you need help with it, let me know. I rebuild the motors and parts for them daily. I also have parts if you need them.

8. Floorjacks50,

I have been a big fan of Skyliners myself. I have been working on a mild custom based on a 58 Skyliner. I have not seen many Skyliner customs, I am looking forward to see how yours turns out. BTW, There is a real good network of resources out there for these cars. Is your roof functioning properly? Repro service manuals for the roof mechanism are readily available.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  9. floorjacks50

floorjacks50
    from napa

so ladies and gents....

this particular skyliner is a low option car, kind of what drew me to it. other than power steering the retractable top is the only other option this build has, no power brakes, manual windows, 292 2 bbl drivetrain. so it didn't cost a whole lot for me to drag it home

the 292 is locked up solid. i have a mild 312 in my '57 that i'm pulling and mating up to the original COM transmission. i pulled the 292 yesterday, only snag so far is the speedo gear fell to pieces, so i'll have to remove the tail shaft to retrieve it

rough plans as of now....cookie cutter treatment....wide whites, lowered....etc. i love the look of the 57 desoto grilles, but as someone already said, kinda hard to find. i have a complete 59 edsel dash that is going in along with some other edsel goodies to set it off nothing too crazy

Attached Files:

10. lowered with wide whites is a great start

11. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Hey man.
    I know you don't know me from Adam but if you have any plans on changing your front bumper and grill. I sure would be interested in buying the old ones from you.
    Just shoot me a pm if you want.
    Thanks
    Ken

12. floorjacks50

floorjacks50
    from napa

you got it, down the road for sure, but i'll keep you in mind.

13. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

the best of the Fords that year, good luck with it...

14. Cool car! My uncle had one when I was a kid. Every time I went over I made him put the roof up and down so I could watch. Good luck with your build.

15. floorjacks50

floorjacks50
    from napa

not having a garage sucks! but i still got some work done. pulled the 312 and sealed up the rear of my trans. mated her all together, plopped right in. i've got my drop blocks coming along with new parts, hoses and smalls.

Attached Files:

16. What a cool car! I have always loved these retractable's. Keep the progress and pictures coming.

17. floorjacks50

floorjacks50
    from napa

thanks for the encouraging words all. not too many kustom skyliners, trying to break the mold with this behemoth.

18. KandN Kustoms

KandN Kustoms

Greenblade likes this.