Register now to get rid of these ads!

49 Olds 4 door? worth the buy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by okiechevyguy, Jan 2, 2014.

1. okiechevyguy

okiechevyguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Hi all. I am new here to the HAMB and am looking at a couple options for a new project. I have always been a truck guy but I am broadening my horizons .

I found a 49 Olds Rocket 88 4 door for sale in my area. I know the 2 doors are very desirable but what about the 4 doors? Is it worth the trouble? Like I said I know more about trucks so any help and opinions are very appreciated.
    Hopefully I get them soon so I don't miss a great opportunity.
    Thanks all and Happy New Year!!
    :confused:

2. Squablow

Squablow

Way, way more info necessary. What kind of shape is it in, what is the price, and what do you plan to do with it?

3. okiechevyguy

okiechevyguy
    from Tulsa, OK

I just came from looking at it. I didn't really have much info until now. The plan would be to fix to make drivable. Who know from there. Is a 4 door worth doing? Here's what I know at this point.

Crome and trim all there, good condition mostly except pass side trim front side of wheel opening.
    Floors and trunk pretty solid except for drivers floor pan.
    Dash all there.
    No headliner.
    Front seat typical, needs upholstered. Didn't see rear seat, says he has it at another location.
    Has Rocket motor, didn't see it turn over but says it does.
    Needs to be rewired.
    Rust in rockers both sides., missing whatever trim goes on rockers.

Anything else specifically I should look for? No title, bill of sale only. $2200.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

$1000 would be about all I feel it is worth.

5. ems customer service

ems customer service

wrong, way more $2500 to $4000 oldsmobiles are getting popular with the unique look

6. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

With no title, not running I'd side w Bobwop on this one. 1000 $ car

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. okiechevyguy

okiechevyguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Oh yeah, the bottoms of doors are solid.
    I can't think of any other details right now.
    OCG

8. DenK

DenK

Good headlight/parking light buckets and doors are hard
    to find or expensive..Are you going to run the stock
    front suspension? It's a little hokey. Rear works fine.
    There are Hambers on here that can fix you up
    with engine and trans. Not cheap, but cool as hell.
    What is your plan?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  9. okiechevyguy

okiechevyguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Hmm conflicting opinions. This is good. Keep 'em coming!

10. okiechevyguy

okiechevyguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Denk. I would probably just get it running down the road with what it has. You know fix wiring and make it stop and go.
    The headlights are there, although one is broken. Obviously I can't say for sure the other works either.

11. okiechevyguy

okiechevyguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Even 4 doors??

12. ssimpala

ssimpala

What would you have to do to get a title? That's something to consider also. I had one just like it when I was a kid...same color even. I drove the wheels off it and loved it.

13. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

sounds a little steep if there is no title and that much rust.
    none the less, I would be tempted to see how low he will go, as it is a cool car with the rocket V-8

14. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

I am an Oldsmobile lover and still can't see paying over $1000 for it.

rust to fix
    engine isn't running
    needs wiring $200
    interior is shot $3000
    probably needs tires $400
    need to get a title $400

so $4k out of pocket without fixing the rust, doing the brakes, getting it running, dealing with fuel issues, what about the radiator/water pump?, does it even run? will you paint it?

15. Bobert

Bobert
    Member Emeritus

With Bob on the price. Count on much more rust being revealed after blasting. Just "finished" a '50 2dr. You want to take a look under the car at the sill areas and floor braces. Chev repop braces are not the same as Olds although they can be fabricated to work. As stated, Rockets are not cheap rebuilds.

16. DrJ

DrJ

It's a parts car and the best parts are already parted from it.
    It's worth not charging him for the favor of towing it away.

17. Squablow

Squablow

If you just want to do basic stuff to it, get it running and driving, maybe a lowering and dual exhaust, or a real mild custom, a 4 door will probably suit you fine. 4 doors only become bad investments when guys stick tons of time and money into them and then want to sell.

But I agree that this car is overpriced at $2200. No title in Wisconsin is a huge deal. If titles are easy to get in OK, that would make a huge difference. There's also a big difference between hearing an engine run and "the guy says it turns over".

If it had a clear title and you could at least hear the engine run so you know it doesn't have any major issues, then I think $2200 would be a fair asking price. But as it sits? I'd say half of that.

$2200 would buy you a 2 door of similar vintage in the same shape, or a 4 door that runs and has a title. Either one would be a better way to spend your money. You can make the guy an offer, but if he's firm, I personally would pass.

18. terryble

terryble
    from canada

I agree!

19. 57J2

57J2

I was watching a grille(2 grille bars with 2 end pieces and splash pan) on ebay last week. It sold for $800.00. The bumpers are worth $200-$250 apiece. The rear fender crowns with taillights $250 for the pair. Complete dash probably $200. Even if the engine doesn't run, parted out at least $400.00. It's worth what he's asking, but it all depends on what you want to do with it. If you get lucky (real lucky) and it will start and everything else that I mentioned is in good condition that's not a terrible price.

20. brad chevy

brad chevy

4-door,doesn"t run probably ran when parked, needs rewiring, { no title } equals a parts car $1000 is really too much. As far as parting it out you might make a couple of hundred over a years period and scrap the rest for $450. Get you another truck.

21. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

NO TITLE, NOT DEAL!! How do you plan to put it on the road if it doesn't have a title?

22. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i'm lookin for frt/rear bumpers and grille. let me know if you buy it & are parting it out.

23. 24riverview

24riverview

Just judging by what trim I can see, but isn't that a 50? And the title thing would scare me away too.

24. One pc windshield.. I thought that was a 50 Olds item, only. I'd look for a two door, myself.

25. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Big gamble if it runs and how it runs. Trans could be bad who knows. $1000.00 tops, that way if it is crap you can recover in selling parts. If it is OK you won and can use it as a driver. Getting it registered is costly sometimes. Too many doors to pay more.

26. terryble

terryble
    from canada

You have just verified it is a parts car! If you want to buy it and part it out good do it, but as a project or anything like that the best befor date is gone on that car.

27. Fogger

Fogger

I agree with many of the posts, and it is a '50 not a '49. No title no deal and as others have said look for a 2-door with a title. Not worth $400.

28. Squablow

Squablow

I agree that this car could be parted out for $2K plus, but if you have to pay that for it, what was the point? You'd have to at least double your money to make it worth all the effort.

29. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

lots of better cars for that money in your area, lots of them...

30. teejay99

teejay99

I was going to say WALK AWAY ...sounds like you're trying to convince yourself , but it's your money . I like a '49 Olds , but not that one . Too many issues for the $$$ .

T