Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Barn Find 1930 Woody

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by xhotrodder, Dec 27, 2013.

1. nice find ....

hope that you know a good carpenter =)

2. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What a find... congrats!

3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

One thing I just noticed, the brackets that are supposed to hold the lift gate in the open position can't allow the lift gate to open more than a few inches. They almost look like '32 three window coupe brackets!

4. RARE57

RARE57

"Interesting THOUGHT" !!:cool:

5. Davect06607

Davect06607

Very nice find. Excellent Christmas for you.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. 28TUDOR

28TUDOR

Put up the welder and get out the glue. That thing is bad ass! Great find!

7. rayman1

rayman1

Right here in my neighborhood (almost)! I hope you or your friend provide continuing coverage of the redo.

8. cheesegrater

cheesegrater
    from california

Follow through with your idea Ill repeat this true saying "There only original once" keep it that way 7 also save yourself agony & $$$$$$$$THOUSANDS$$$$$$$ of dollars & have something very few have

9. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

This is the best I can do on the photo he sent me. I had to print, then scan it into my files.

Attached Files:

10. racemad55

racemad55

Cool that the side windows are glass and not curtains.

11. GlenC

GlenC

Yep, you've got something SERIOUSLY DIFFERENT there!

I've been ogling Model A woodies for decades, and this body is nothing like anything I've ever seen before. If it wasn't for the tags, I'd suggest she was owner-built, but she's apparently a factory original...

here's some pics of a couple of the very best restorations out there...

IMPORTANT NOTE... 29 woodies used T COUPE A pillars, and the roof was very tall with 'flat' front door tops, as per pics. 30-31 used A closed car pillars, and the roof sloped down to the windscreen frame top, front doors are curved down to the front at the top. Most of my pics are 29 models.

A lot of home-builders make the mistake of using a 29 sedan or closed car cowl and building a 29 style flat roof, which immediately 'chops' their woody about 3 inches.

Have fun with it, I'd love something like that! I even started building my own -owner-built one about 30 years ago, but wasn't up to the task.

Cheers, Glen.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

racemad55, NOT cool that the windows don't roll down in the summer! When it hits 90 degrees and the only air circulation is the 2' the windshield opens and the liftgate opens about three inches you would be glad to have side curtains.

13. Look closer, all the door windows appear to be 2 piece sliding windows.

14. The37Kid

The37Kid

More photos please! Never seen a 30-31 in black. Bob [​IMG]

15. circlek454

circlek454

Cheesegrater
    My thoughts on this Woodie are directly in line with yours.
    I want it to move & drive and be presentable, but want it to stay as close to as I found it as possible.
    circlek454

16. GlenC

GlenC

Happy to oblige! Please forgive me if I mix a 29 pic in here anywhere, I've got sooo many photos!

Cheers, Glen.

Attached Files:

17. GlenC

GlenC

Next lot, hope nobody minds...

I've also got some nice pics of the burgundy 30-31, and the beige one too!

I just found a whole set of pcs of a black 31-31 with its side curtains up, so I'll post them too!

Cheers, Glen.

Attached Files:

18. GlenC

GlenC

'Standard' side curtains on a 30-31 woody...

Cheers, Glen.

Attached Files:

19. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Guys, circlek454 is the owner of this Woodie. I convinced him to join the HAMB to simplify things, and please cut him some slack on his first post. I already sent him a p.m. to let him know that he needs to introduce himself with a little background history. If you have any questions or comments feel free to direct them to him. xhotrodder

20. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

talk about a dream,, way cool find:cool:

21. GregCT.

GregCT.
    from CT.

Stock Model A Station Wagons are boring. I love this one with the juice brakes, disc wheels, intake, no side mount spare, etc. So what if it's different. Just drive it and keep them guessing.

22. circlek454

circlek454

Ok Guys, I've introduced myself and am read to Post.

I had a friend come over and helped identify the engine in the 30 Woodie.

Here are the results :

1932 4 cyl ( it has a fuel pump on the pass side of block )

1932 Cyl head and water pump

1930 A Distributor

1930 A exhaust manifold

cast Iron intake and downdraft carb ........unknown at this time.

The pass front door has a small oval metal emblem

RAULANG
    BODY

Henry cut the wood and kiln dried it in his Iron Mountian facility in Michigan, then sublet millwork to the Mengel co here in Louisville, they did some minor sub assy, then sent the package to Baker-Raulang in Ohio for completion.

The wooden window frames and glass work is thought to be a modification from the 30's or 40's .

Here in Kentucky, Woodies with surfboards on the roof would not be likely, but with our winter months, side glass and a the Southwind heater would be a welcome addition for a daily driver which the family said that Grandpa used it for until 1950 when it quit in the driveway and was rolled into its sleeping berth for the next 63 years

circlek454

23. Novadude55

Novadude55
    from CA

keep it as is,
    fix whatever needs fixin,
    drive sparingly,
    you have a bitchen piece of history,:cool::)

24. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Amazing find, bitch'n old car.

25. OahuEli

OahuEli
    from Hawaii

It would be a shame to depart from this cars' history. No matter our inclination to hotrod stuff, this car needs to maintained as original as possible.

26. GlenC

GlenC

If you look 'around' the added glass window frames, the body does look much more like a factory 30-31 A, except for the wood trimmings on the doors. The 'standard' A door had a cross patterned trim, these doors have straight pieces like later model doors, maybe they've been added too?

The front door on the right side of the car has dropped considerably, which also gives the car an 'owner-built' look, you can see that by looking at the door handles on both sides of the body.

Looks like you've got your work cut out for you, but what a cool find!

Cheers, Glen.

27. sawzall

sawzall

SORRY..
    FIX what needs fixed.. and please

DRIVE it AGGRESSIVELY as there are PLENTY of woodies that aren't driven enough...

I am questioning the body trim as original as well.. the doors themselves look very much like standard ford parts from 31.. in the event that replacement of the plywood panels were made, changing out the gingerbread that attaches to the plywood would not have been out of the ordinary..

this (for reference) is my 29 model a wood
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and this.. is the 30-31 style stuff I have.. the 30 -31 parts I have are repro, but are styled very similar to your wagon (minus the "glass frames around the windows)

[​IMG]

28. circlek454

circlek454

RE: Passenger front door sag.

The door has a very solid feel, little if any up/down movement at the latch end.............however, it has apparently been that way a LONG time.........to cure the latching issue , someone added a SECOND striker below the original one ! ! !
    And to add insult to injury, the door opens and shuts like a champ !
    Soooooo, it's staying that way. I like things that are functional , and I love the second striker.

A close friend of mine, after looking it over, asked me how long I was planning on living ! ! !
    My Mother in law has antiques that all sit comforatably on shelves untouched, I kid her , insisting that my antiques are put to use and enjoyed.
    That is my plan for this piece of history, repair only as necessary and enjoy the hell out of it !
    And, if she minds her p's & q's I might even take her for a ride !
    circlek

29. circlek454

circlek454

A little Christmas humor.........I had to attend to the holiday duties and could not get out and spend time on the Woodie , so I decided to light it up !
    circlek

Attached Files:

30. circlek454

circlek454

With the holidays out of the way, it was time for some quality time on the Woodie.

The car was still on the trailer,rear wheels on rollers in the garage with the rear wheels locked up, the trans shifter is stuck in gear.

I removed the floorboard and the trans top shifter cover to find the shift rails slightly stuck. A tap with a brass drift and they easily moved.

But, the clutch disc appeared to be rusted to the flywheel, so still no rear wheel movement.

Then, while dragging it off the trailer , the clutch broke free and now it rolls !

Front brake inspection revealed slight movement in the levers ( with the rods removed, the pedal and pivot bar are frozen ) and after complete disassembly and inspection of all front components, only cleaning and lubrication was necessary and all is well. The shoe material was great and the drum surface is very good for a 1930 drum.

Next up rear brake work and pedal work.

circlek454

Attached Files: