Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 62 Impala Garage find.....Kinda out of my element...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Littleman, May 14, 2011.

1. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I picked up and bolted on a pair of trailer jacks to the front of the frame.........I think I will make something up that will bolt from side to side in the lower mounting bolt holes I was not able to use....I think it should be strong enough..........I also managed to muscle the rear chunck back up into the housing...I also brought home today a pair of rims found in the garage..I hope they will hold air.....I will bolt these to the rearend and use my heavy duty car skates for the rear.........It is so cold working in this garage right now...the weather has turned bad on me.........The snow mists into the garage thru the missing wood on the overhangs.....The owner said he has not used the garage for over 20 yrs......but only to store the push mower for when he cut his mothers grass.........The other day when I started....you had to open the door and reach around to grab the mowers handle and tilt it forward to open the door......and the upper two bolt holes for them trailer jacks matched perfectly existing holes........

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. Quick thinking on those trailer jacks! Growing up I had a 63 S/S after the AF I landed a 65 S/S, neither of which are still in my stable.

3. titus

titus

Great idea there!

Ive used two peices of angle iron with a bolt thru them in place of rear pumpkin, works good as longs as its a non-C clip rear!

jeff

4. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

This was my first idea when I started thinking about removing the car the first time around just under two yrs. ago or so.........They cost 32.00 bucks each for the trailer jacks.......figured I would try it..............What kind of shape is your wagon in ?............Dave

5. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

No one has asked and it none of my business. Can you give a ball park range of the buying price. Example: 5k-10k Ya did good on being patient!!!

6. good job there....bought an early mopar that had been garaged with the 6cly K frame removed and it was backed in....sad part was the garage opening was lower than my Holms 440 could lower...ended up putting the front suspension back in just to roll it out...

going to show this to my 409 buddie tomorrow.........he'll shit at those part #'s....

great save there....

7. titus

titus

Ingenuity in action!

Its a California car that a guy bought for a parts car for a 64 ss 327 4 speed wagon but didnt use it for parts, its been sitting in a barn is WI for many years. Needs some tlc and is missing a few parts but over all decent shape, been kinda thinking it would be cool as a Super Stock drag wagon or something but well see.

Attached Files:

8. oldsquid

oldsquid

Congrats Dave, it's refreshing to have read a story where the owner wasn't badgered/cajoled or mislead about a car for sale, and then to have an ending like this makes a car guy feel good. Happy New SS Year and keep us posted.

9. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Today, the car is off of its jack stands for the first time since 67-68.........I noticed it still has the original plate on the rear bumper 1967..........I added the extra tie bar from trailer jack to trailer jack up front and was able to bolt on a pair of tires and lowered down the rear onto the skates.......I plan on taking the jack stands that have held this car prisoner for so long w/ me.........I was also able to open the truck today....It has not been open for a very long time and found some of the parts........It moved real easy...should have it home by this Saturday...............

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. titus

titus

Deffinately looks like you found some goods in the trunk, couple-a four speeds.

11. Tony

Tony

Congrats Dave.
    Seriously a great find! And im blown away by all the extra parts! I'd love to just find a garage with that stuff! :)

Crazy!!!!

Tony

12. Crazy snow in Ohio today!
    Why couldn't this happen a week or so ago when it was 60 and sunny

13. slowmotion

slowmotion

Like I said earlier, this just keeps gettin' better. Original shifter or two, tranny, misc good stuff in the trunk, damn! That Hurst box on the rear window shelf is a find in itself, it's exotic!

But ya, the weather is goin' in the shitter real fast here. I know it might be hard, but I wouldn't rush it Littleman.

14. XERB

XERB

Too good to pass you by...great find, awesome family car...do it!

15. Bosco1956

Bosco1956
    from Jokelahoma

16. indyjps

indyjps

Just found this thread. My dad restores impala's, 1963 ss 340 hp 409, 1962 409hp 409 engine that needs a car, 1965 ss 327 a/c. I've spent plenty of time around them. You should consider cleaning and reassembling this car as an original paint, mild resto,maybe new chrome, and the matching numbers engine in street race form with headers and throw the original manifolds in with the deal. I think this will yield the best return on the money whether you keep it or not.

17. 421-6Speed

421-6Speed

I remember reading about this when you first posted. Great deal and good luck with the project. You should join up over at http://www.348-409.com/forum/ there is a ton of information and many willing to help out with your questions.

18. Hope you get her out and home today. All hell is breaking loose weather wise tomorrow and then the bottom falls out temp wise.

19. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Awesome find and good for you in the way you handled that situation! Love that car!

20. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  21. oldwood

oldwood
    from arkansas

I think those wheely bars on the front should be on the rear!!! LOL Good luck with the rehab. When its done we ALL want to see what 409's do to the rear tires. Don't be SKEEERT of all of those ponies.

22. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

It's like bringing a new baby home from the hospital.

Then reality sets in.........LOL

Congrats on the great find. Looking forward to future progress posts.
    Happy New Year!

23. Baumi

Baumi
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad you´ve got her home! Now, it´s time to fix her up and make some vroomvroooooom noises along the way... at least that´s what I would do :)

24. greaser

greaser

Love it when a plan comes together. Looks like it loaded quite easily!
    Is this the project with priority now?

25. mphudak

mphudak
    from Atlanta

Looking good! But where is the "how do I wash my barn find" post? Hahaha

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Congrats man! That is just way too cool. A friend owned it's evil opposite about 25 years ago, a '62 Ford 406 four speed car that was black. I have had an unfulfilled "thing" for early full sized muscle ever since! My vote would be clean it up and put it back together again and let it be an original car. It's shard to tell, but it looks like the paint may come back and the interior still looks good too.

27. slowmotion

slowmotion

Good job Littleman, & the weather cooperated for a change. Looks like that thing might clean up pretty good. Survivor candidate?

28. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Amazing. I'm subscribed.

29. TOYBOX

TOYBOX

Let me guess what your going to do with the extra 409. Good luck with your score.

motoandy likes this.
  30. Littleman

Littleman
    Alliance Member
    from OHIO, USA

I thought it was neat that the trunk stickers are still in place.........did not notice the other day when I first opened the decklid....One is a warning for the limited slip diff. and the other is the jack use instructions........

[​IMG]