Register now to get rid of these ads!

powerglide ratio question ???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by k9racer, Nov 4, 2005.

1. k9racer

k9racer

Can some one tell me the simple easy way to tell the difference of PG gear ratio wise? s Maybe somthing about a shaft and its length.Thank You for any help.... Bobby..

2. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

according to a source I have there are 2 powerglide ratios 1.82:1 in the light duty version(probably for six cyl cars or small V8s??) and 1.76:1 in the heavy duty version-V8s or big blocks??) don't quote me but i think there is a difference in input shaft size between the PGs for six cyl and V8 cars.

3. Winfab

Winfab

According to TCI info in one of my supplier's catalogs, the 1.82 PG input shaft is 12 5/8" and the 1.76 PG input shaft is 12 7/8". Maybe you know this, and I may even be wrong (that happens a lot....ask my wife), but you have to be careful pulling the shaft and getting it back in, some thrust washers can fall out of place or something. Good luck

Lynn

4. JohnnyB327

JohnnyB327

the six cylinder powerglides have holes drilled in the bellhousing

5. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

that would be the air cooled glides.

there is a diameter difference in the output shaft splines the yoke slides onto. Of course i cannot find the specs here at my house.

We use a Go - NoGo gauge we machined up to check the ratio quickly