Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical '49 F3 truck motor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 46international, Jan 2, 2014.

1. I may be able to get a flathead motor from a '49 F3 ( i'll have to pull it out) If this pans out and I make the 3 hr trip to get it what else should I try to get? steering box? radiator? trans? I know the axles are too large, 6 or 8 lug I think.

2. Markusohreallyus

Markusohreallyus

Im no expert, but I'm pretty sure the F1 and F2 steering boxes are exactly the same, not sure if F3 is same too, if so get that; and the front shock mounts too maybe

3. jkeesey

jkeesey

Engine, radiator, steering box, anything the guy will let you take. Im doing the same thing on an f6. I think the axles are 8 lug on the F3 and would not be worth it.

4. gicknordon

gicknordon

I believe the front axle is identical to the f1 except for the spindles.

5. Groovybaby6

Groovybaby6
    from Denver

It depends, what car are you putting these parts into??

6. PINEAPPLE

PINEAPPLE

steering wheel(for the center splined part),steering column,box and mast jacket. pedal assembly, center crossmember if you can get it out, front shock mounts, ignition switch and button. If it's all real cheap, gauges and dash parts can be handy trading material with f1 guys.Look for a drivers door lock and chrome trim around the window cranks and door latches, these would mean a 5 star cab,could be resold to f1 guys to fund other hot rod bits.

7. Never thought about the pedals, thanks. The thing about the steering box is I don't know if it is the same as the F1/F2....front shock mounts are another good one I did not think about. that front axle...how can I tell if it the same as a F1?

as far as what I will put it into...nothing yet. just can't turn down free.

8. jkeesey

jkeesey

I know of a guy with an f3 steering box in his Model A, works great.

9. If u can get the hubcaps PLEASE send me a PM.
    thanks

10. I think the F3 steering box has a different ratio than F1 or F2. It will steer more easily than the F1 box, but more turns lock-to-lock.
    Walt

11. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What are you building ? The cab is the same as a pickup cab . If you know of someone needing doors ,hinges , window parts ,door latches . Stuff to trade or swap. Have fun good luck .

12. I don't think the truck has hubcaps, it's a F3 with 6 or 8 lug split type rims.

13. coonpiss

coonpiss
    from NW Indiana

Is an F-4 steering box usable in a model a also? F-4 pedal assembly mocked up to a Vern Tardel cross member? Just getting started on a AV8 and I know of a close usable F-4 if it works.