Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1929 sedan, i converted a rat rodder

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodderhaag, Jan 1, 2014.

1. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Here is the start to my older brothers 29 sedan... He had a terrible liking for rat rods.... So for the last few years he has built a 1931 dodge brothers truck rat rod ... A week ago we sold it! He was a little upset but I had him convinced into building a model a and joining me at all the events I go to. He was always happy when people came up to us in the model a. So it was about time he had something to be proud of as well .. He spends all his time helping other people out with all there projects.. He never really benefits from it... So We decided that I would find him a car, and I'll lay out the project . And together we will build a bad ass traditional hot rod. So here it is! A nice 1929 sedan body, chopped 4 inches with a newer style visor installed. This is a great solid start to a nice car. When we found it, It was siting on a chassis setup for a dreaded sbc. So I decided to buy just the shell and we would use the frame I was saving for my roaster... We bought the body and grill shell. From a good friend of mine we also purchased : 36 flathead, 36 trans, 39 wide five brakes and wheels, 37 rear, good model a springs, wishbones, and some misc odds and ends. Someone has butchered the sub rails in this car. So I have a lot of metal work to do there. But we did get a nice stock firewall that needs some holes filled . By the end of the weekend we will have a roller frame all set up and test fit. Then we can concentrate on the body. I believe he is really going to be happy with this car. I sure hope so. It will be killer cruising with all the guys..

Enjoy guys. I will be letting him see his build thread as we go.. So any comments and inspiration for him would be great!
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388639028.556759.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388639045.388819.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388639066.171229.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388639080.116098.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388639091.764843.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  2. 343w

343w

You have it going on, and hopefully your brother will done well with his RRR,(rat rod recovery)!

3. Keep spreading the gospel to your Brother. You're doing the right thing.:)

4. nailheadroadster

nailheadroadster

That chop really has "the look"! Cool start

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I whole heartedly agree. Wicked looking start to a bitchin hot rod.

6. pumpman

pumpman

Very nice start and the chop looks great. How long did it take you to dig that out? Looks like it was a storage bin.

7. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

he loves it.. he is alot happier with a real titled car that is worth a few bucks!

the chop is fantastic, who ever did it did a wonderful job. very nice.

we bought it from a fellow hamber... he did the work of getting it dug out.. it was just no fun to carry down an ice covered hill to my truck. i found this car in 2012 when i bought my model a. i was on the hunt for a car and i went and looked at a coupe that this getleman had... i wasnt to interested in the coupe so he showed me other projects.. and thats where i found this one.. i have kept my eye on it since... so when the time came for my brother to actually buy one... i took him down and let him see it.. the chop was what sold the car. he loved it... we did OK when buying it.. and with the money he got out of the 31 dodge he was able to afford the sedan, and almost every single part to build it completely.. we are stoked.. big time.
    not only because he has a hot rod now, but also because my house is now a neck breaker site when i have the garage door open. i swear its gonna cause an accident! My brother is the most anti SBC person i have ever met. he completely understands the reasons behind them, cheap, simple, easy to come by.... but he just cant justify it... we were born and raised ford guys.. and a few mopars have came along in the picture...

the car is going to be low. i stepped the chassis up in the back 4 inches and we will reverse eye the front spring along with a drop axle, and a few removed leaves and notch the sides of the chassis.. i may even straighten the front crossmember out a bit. just to get the ultra low stance without going all out rolling bones style.. (which i love but i dont have time for that)

8. swimeasy

swimeasy

x2 some funny stuff!

9. smitty29

smitty29
    from Illinois

I like your style, Car is going to be killer

10. 296ardun

296ardun

sounds like a great twelve-step process to full recovery! Keep us posted!

11. AHotRod

AHotRod

Great story....enjoy the build with your brother, memories for a life time!

Are you going to post progress and pictures of the build on this thread?

12. 60 Belair

60 Belair

Looks like a great start. I built a 27 T for/with my brother, the time spent together is rewarding. My bro is very talented, but some people are better at other things, He built all of the wood for the roof of the T from scratch. And contrary to popular belief model Ts did have a bow in the roof, and he built it with a removal-able section to see stoplights

[​IMG]

13. hemi gasser

hemi gasser

The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem, then it is day by day! Nice project!

14. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Yes this will be a full out build thread ..

Day 1:
    We started with a $50 chassis that was in pretty good shape overall. Frame horns were shot. Someone boxed it years ago and never finished welding it.
    So today we decided to dig in. My brother came over. By the time he got to the shop, I had all the boxing plates out and cleaned the frame up from the welds. I've never been a boxed frame fan. I like em bare and original. So after that I decided I wanted to step the rear of the chassis... He about shit when I took a cut off wheel and hacked the back of the frame off .. But I had already planned on this so I made some triangular box gussets at work a few hours before hand. With in 20 mins it was all welded back up and ready to go.
    As I told you guys before, someone did a poor job of sub rails.. My brother decided he didn't want the stock ones back in. Who ever worked on it before replaced the sub rails with tube. And that part was done nicely. So.... We added from there. We built body mounts and added floor braces. Now it's ready for 1/2" thick oak to nicely lay in between the sub rails and lay some carpet on top. .. We spend a few hours squaring the body on the chassis and making it look perfect . After that was all welded up we moved to the front. I trimmed the front cross member to accept the flatty ... I also whacked the frame horns off and fit them back on properly. And wouldn't you know it , after one horn was all done and I moved onto the second one, I ran out of mig wire and gas at the same time .. So off to the welding store tomorrow before work can Continue. Tomorrow we also go pick up all the parts we bought (motor trans and axles). Here is a few pics from today's progress

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388724433.411111.jpg

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388724471.885205.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388724490.588647.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388724516.575246.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388724527.924354.jpg

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

16. Congratulations,showing a man the error of his ways,hopefully he will neve resort back to his old ways again.:D HRP

17. volvobrynk

volvobrynk
    from Denmark

This is really nice, working with your brother in perticualy!

Keep ad it, and good luck with the RRR!

18. olskool34

olskool34

Really like 29's, I have owned 5 and am really looking forward to this build.

19. If he follows you build style its going to be very cool.Good save. JW

20. gregaustex

gregaustex
    from Austin

I've really enjoyed your blown A build and the '34 build. I'm subscribed.

+1 on the fun of working with your brother.

21. Busho

Busho

It's good to see another person stray away from the typical sbc

22. Carter

Carter

Well, the Haag boys just left here with a truckload of parts. Between Ben's cars and now this sedan, they have put a hurting on my parts stash.:D

Should be an update coming soon.

23. EnragedHawk

EnragedHawk
    from Waco, TX

Very cool. That's gonna be slick.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

24. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Um. Your brother does know that once you're a traditional hot rodder, it's blood in, blood out, right?

Great job on the conversion! Looking forward to seeing this one up and driving.

25. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Dave..... Really? Ha ha I seem to remember, and I quote " I don't remember half the shit I have sometimes". Sure appreciate everything you've done
    :)

26. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Day 2:
    As carter stated, we left his place about 8 pm. It was a fun day freezin my butt off emptying his parts stash.. Or maybe we just cleaned out under the work bench with all we purchased.
    We got all kind of goodies.. It was a relief that my wallet would actually fit back in my pocket when we left ! We made it home about 9-9:30 and went right to work . I removed the spring and mounts from the new rear axle, started to get the new mounts on for the model a spring . I split the wishbones , got the f1 steering box trimmed down and almost ready for install, and I located the motor mounts that I fabbed up . We welded them in and set the motor and trans down in . It's 1 am and I decide tomorrow is another day. It's looking like a car. The wide fives are the cats ass for this build !
    My brother is starting to get anxious..
    We will be sandblasting and nicely painting every part for this build once we get it fit up and working good. I want this car to be super nice and last him a life time
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388815371.259364.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388815392.303140.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388815409.622024.jpg
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388815427.785743.jpg

27. you make more progress in 5 min then i make in a year. good on for helping your brother. this is gona be a good one. and exactly how big is your garage?

28. Carter

Carter

Any time, man. Glad to help. And I was exaggerating a little, I remember 95% of the stuff that's there, just not always exactly where it is. :D

29. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

Day 3:
    Not to much was accomplished today. I'm waiting on some parts orders to arrive which is holding is up. I got the f1 box all trimmed down for the flanges I put on them. I also opened the frame up for it to slide in. I will have some filling left to do so its a nice clean fit. We also were plug welding some un needed holes in the frame and fitting the front axle to wish bones. We did get the front spring tore down to be reversed. Time to sandblast it and eventually reassemble. My parts will be here Wednesday so that will. And the car a complete roller with steering.. It's coming !
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1388876772.238026.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  30. AHotRod

AHotRod

Your humping right along.