Register now to get rid of these ads!

What to do about a 61 Buick special wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Drew5x2, Dec 30, 2013.

1. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Probably not:D I guess I did come off a little harsh in my honesty after looking back at my post. sorry:rolleyes:

I would like to see him sell it for a "real" price to someone who "wants it".

I could have lied and said Oh yes those are highly sought after by everyone and it should be a easy sell and worth a ton.

By the way, I love seeing ugly ducks being made cool.
    As a matter of fact I started a thread about it a while back,
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651300
    I would like to see you or anyone else buy it and show us your talent;)

2. raidmagic

raidmagic

Oh man, my wife just commented that she's happy you are in Wyoming. I'd have that thing in my driveway tomorrow. I LOVE odd balls like that. Just fantastic!! Good luck with the sale, someone is going to have a super cool family cruiser.

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

I would like to hear an eventual update on the fate of this car or to see some inspiration pics of others, from people who see potential.

.........or a build thread by Drew5x2 or the new owner,That would be great.

4. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

Well that's it, you guys have convinced me, I'm gonna keep the dang thing. Just posting the pictures and talking about it have rekindled the fire. I lost interest because it took me almost 3 years to get the title signed by the actual owner on the title (long story) so in the mean time I didn't want to work on it until I could register it. I lost interest and worked on other things and just moved this car from house to house. Just pulling it away from the side of the shop so I could get a good look at it reminded me of why I bought it to begin with. It is different but that's why I like it. It will be a sweet little family cruiser. Hopefully I can start a build thread soon and keep everyone updated with the progress... Sometimes you just need to talk to the right people to get motivated.

5. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Glad you're keeping it. It IS a cool funky old car. See if you can work a third seat into it and you'll be the life of the party.

Put a link to the build thread here when it starts up.

6. lets see some interior and engine pics! cool wagon.

7. thunderplex

thunderplex

Put a 215 v8 with a 4-speed in it and have fun. It's a neat little wagon!!!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. rt338b

rt338b
    from Illinois

Building one right now. But it will be a pro touring type car with ls turbo motor bagged and such

9. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

Is the 225 no good or just not running? Buick didn't do the 198 v6 until 1962 so that car would have had the 215 aluminum v8 from the factory.

I bought a 62 2 door a few years ago and have spent too much time and way more than its worth making it a driver. But I have learned a TON and had a lot of fun with it. I think you will see the same results. I look forward to seeing what you do with it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  10. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

11. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

So the interior is probably the roughest part of the whole car. Something that I'm wondering is does anyone know if it looks like a steering wheel from a later Buick? I was told that the shift pattern for the 61 special was PNDLR but this column has the PRNDL pattern. I just wanted to clarify that. It wouldn't suprise me because it has a 225 oddfire so they had to also change the transmission to make it work.

12. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

13. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

14. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

the interior is rough but the floors don't have any cancer rust.

15. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

here is a not so great picture of the engine. [​IMG]

16. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Looks like someone was rockin 6X9s in the back side panels at one time or are those factory cutouts?

I would try to get that engine running if it were me.

17. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

It turns over and has spark but it sounds like metal scrapping the cylinders when i turn it over. I couldn't get it to sputter even once so I checked the compression and i think the highest number I got was 30 psi. You'll notice the alternator laying off to the side in the picture because I was looking for casting numbers.

18. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

I have never rebuilt an engine before. The most I have done to an engine is replace head gaskets. I have taken a couple engines apart though! ha ha. So would an odd fire 225 be an ok engine to learn to rebuild for the first time? Being that its not the stock engine or transmission I am not too concerned about keeping it original

19. Build it as a cruiser. That little wagon is too cool to do a gasser out of. Use it as a test mule for your skills. White body, baby moons, teal metalflake roof, and some mexican blankets for the seats and go have fun...

20. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

yeah that is the direction I was leaning as far as styling goes. (mexican blankets are a must:D)

21. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

so if the 225 is rebuildable, should I rebuild it or put in a different Buick engine? What are some suggestions for Buick motors?

22. Flat-Foot

Flat-Foot
    from Locust NC

The stock shift pattern would have been pndlr. That looks like a LeSabre wheel

23. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Really! Scrap is $13.00 100#s I don't believe I'm being a Dick but come on. Lets be honest here if you want to know what its worth, well put it on E-bay for .99 starting bid and no reserve and you will soon find out what its worth.

Pat

24. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

Thanks for confirming this Flat Foot. I'm not Buick savy so its good to hear it from more than one source

25. indyjps

indyjps

Not to piss off the buick guys but a small chevy 305 and th350 or 700 r4 is about as cheap as it gets for a cruiser. Not sure if you would have clearance issues with the frame. I like the car, not enough to buy it, but enough to watch you build it. I agree, practice yours skills and have fun, a repaint in a light color single stage NO metallic enamel or urethane wouldn't be too bad, white, tan, yellow would all look good. Rootbeer metalflake roof with any of those colors would look good.

26. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

the car has already been modified to run the 225 (I don't know what all had to be done to it exactly) but what other engines might work in place of the odd fire 225?
    ....Would a buick 300 or 340 have similar engine mounts as the 225?

27. I've been watching this thread for awhile and I'll put my 2 cents in. Drew, I'd yank all the spark plugs, pump a few squirts of motor oil down each hole and file the points, check and fix all the problems with getting spark.....turn it over about 10 times with the starter and put a set of new plugs in the ol girl. Dribble some gas down the carb and light it off. If it rattles really bad, forget that engine. If it just has lifter noise, I'd put some coolant in it and run some gas to the fuel pump........let the engine run for awhile 'till everything gets oiled good and check engine condition then. Doing a compression test on an engine that has sat for a long time won't give you an accurate picture of it's condition. Warm the engine, prop the throttle blades open and do another compression test if you think the engine's worth the trouble.
    Somebody felt the little V/6 was good enough to drop into that little wagon. Who knows? It may be good enough to be a daily driver for awhile. Good luck.

28. Tyeager760

Tyeager760

I think it deserves a 401 nailhead...:D

29. Drew5x2

Drew5x2

I'll give her one last shot before I decide to replace it. Thanks Rocky