Register now to get rid of these ads!

History John Ballard's Willys coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by threewindaguy, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Stuwillys

Stuwillys

2. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

Ready for more? The guy that lived next door took these photos. He was newly married and said it was really exciting living next to John. He was into cars but he never thought of building one. He got severely hooked and has a 37 Chevy to this day ( after many others). John must have separated or something at that time, maybe he was divorced and got re-married. Anyway he was living with Ron Cook, still a rodder today with a 36 sedan delivery. Cook owned the T touring in the pics. Some of pics will wander off onto some other cars, but I couldn't resist showing them. This was all taking place about 1970- 71, maybe into 72.

John standing buy the Willys;
    [​IMG]

here's John standing by a race car;
    [​IMG]

high view of the Willys;
    [​IMG]

I don't know who owned this 36 at this time, but it was built by a guy named Dan Hamm when he was in high school. He was about 4 years older than me and I saw it in the parking lot. He got killed in the 60's when he ran his 57 Chevy under a semi. What a shame, just think what he would be building now. I saw the car in Muncie, Indiana in a garage about 1974 and I haven't seen it since.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have never seen this car;
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I think this car belonged to Ron Ennis, and I think he stil has it only it has fenders now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This T belonged to Don Ennis (Ron's twin brother), both are still rodders today
    ;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is one of the Willys I must have missed earlier;
    [​IMG]

Here is Ron Cook's T touring they built there. Really nice car with lots of chrome. He rolled it in a ditch a number years ago. It sat for long time and he finally sold it a few years ago. He has a nice 36 sedan delivery, 35 pickup and and a 49 Ford, maybe more.
    [​IMG]

steel body
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

the T under construction;

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This car was owned by Bob Wallbridge. Sadly he passed away a few years ago. I think Jim Wise of "Wise Guys Seats" owns it now.
    [​IMG]

I don't know who owned this car at this time. Kind of a funny story. I was a tool & die maker for GM. We had a pretty good apprenticeship program and when you graduated from apprenticeship they had a banquet. The guy setting across from me was an electrician and he owned this car and I didn't know it and he didn't know I had hot rods (we had over 20 plants with about 18,000 employees so we never crossed paths) until the next weekend and I saw him at a swap meet.
    [​IMG]

Here it is after John painted it. He was a pretty good painter.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I don't know if I posted this one before;
    [​IMG]

misc pics;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That's all for now. I will get ahold of Ron Cook (T touring), he will probably have more pics.

chryslerfan55 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Great bunch of photos. It's neat to see a group of friends together helping one another out like that. Drag racing looks like it had quite an effect on those guys, front ends being up, race tires/wheels. I love the '35-'36 three windows, I have three '35's and a chopped '36. I've also got a '32 three window so those pictures strike home for me. John must have had an influence on me as my first hot rod which I finished in '72 was a '37 Chevy coupe, painted green with Corvette suspension. That Willy's was still head and shoulders above even his friend's cars. Post more as you get them, I'm having a ball with this.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  5. Ballardsdaughter

Ballardsdaughter

Hello Jim,

I believe you are looking for me. I am John's daughter Kelly and I would be happy to answer all the questions you may have. My father was I the midst of doing some cutting edge modifications when he lost his sight. Therefore, some of his last work may have not been what the world has come to expect from my father. His eyesight was challenged; but his mind never rested. In my opinion, and its only my own, the custom car world would love to see it restored back to its original color Candy Apple Green. I am available by email and then we can most certainly speak by phone.
    Good luck on this project and God Bless.

6. Hot Rod Willys

Hot Rod Willys
    from Ohio

WOW! The HAMB sure has been good to you........Dave.

7. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Yes Dave, it certainly has. I had no idea how to contact Kelly. I knew she had moved to Florida, but didn't know how to contact her (assuming her last name had changed). Thanks to the H.A.M.B. we may be in contact. It sounds like she has a wealth of information.

Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Ballardsdaughter

Ballardsdaughter

To everyone that has uploaded pictures I am absolutely loving it!!! I have never seen these before. I was only 3 when my father lived with Ron Cook so I would not remember. Please continue to upload and I will do my best to share some insight to help restore the Willys to its former glory. Anything I can do to keep his legacy alive.

chryslerfan55 and GasserWillys like this.
  9. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

Kelly and I are in contact now, first by PM and e-mail, but we will have a phone conference this weekend. Naturally, I'm curious about what she has, but she assures me she has plenty of information about John and the Willy's. I will share what information she has with her permission. I'm looking forward to this. Thanks H.A.M.B.

10. I probably have the old 1975 Street Scene if you haven't come up with one. PM me.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  11. Stuwillys

Stuwillys

This is great news. Keep us updated.

12. 193257

Hey Tom
    Man you hit the mother load plus the jackpot. You need to buy a lottery ticket. Don't forget your ol buddy.. Just jokin about the last part Rick:D:D:D:D:D :D

13. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

dam, where would we be without the internet and the hamb!

14. Ballardsdaughter

Ballardsdaughter

Hey Tom I thought I would post my favorite article from Street Scene dated in April 1973 which featured the 41 Willys. It is one of my favorite articles. I have many more to share with you. Blessings to you and yours for good health and a prosperous year. Talk to you soon.

Attached Files:

15. threewindaguy

threewindaguy

I had a telephone conversation with Kelly earlier today. She is a fine lady and certainly interested in her father's former car. She has a wealth of information about the car and I found out a lot more about it. There are a few missing parts that she can come up with and she is going to work with me on getting historical information about the car that I can use. She told me that before john passed, that he had an accident that affected his vision, and some of the later work was not up to snuff because he couldn't see well any more. He did quite a few changes to the car over the years and obviously loved working on it. We'll see where this goes. I had a good day.

16. Rckt98

Rckt98

What a great thread.

17. NovaGuy70

NovaGuy70
    from Indiana

18. cabriolethiboy

cabriolethiboy

rod1 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. rod1

rod1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Any updates?What a Great History.

20. GasserWillys

GasserWillys

Do you still own this Willys?

21. So you had a umm, hard days night then?