Register now to get rid of these ads!

51 Chevy Styleline - What's Next?

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by donboyd4, Jan 1, 2014.

1. donboyd4

donboyd4

I just got a 1951 Chevy Styleline two-door sedan from my Dad. He's 82 and doesn't want to fool with it any longer. It's pretty much all original, but it needs a LOT of work. It needs a dual master cylinder for safety, needs an electric wiper motor, needs a heater (Dad lives in Florida and didn't even know it had no heat, but I'm in Ohio!), needs a radio, etc. I'm 57, but I feel like a kid again when I'm fooling with it or working on it. Problem is, if I sink too much time or money into it too quickly, I'm gonna' be in the dog house (or divorced!). Well, that's my intro.

2. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Welcome!
    Drive it and bundle up! Electric wipers are nice but if they old ones work that's what neutrals for and stop lights. Dual master if it stops it can wait. But really they are all cheap easy fixes! Good luck! Post a picture!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. butcherted

butcherted
    from hagerstown

Welcome from Maryland.

4. donboyd4

donboyd4

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1389317942.374201.jpg

What will my Grandson have to look at when he's my age at a car show?

5. Mr.Dickies

Mr.Dickies

Well my son is about the same age as your grandson and he loves cars! He 'll be at shows with his 53 Kasier Henry J!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

6. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

Looks like a sweet little Chevy!

7. donboyd4

donboyd4

ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395447432.862170.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395447458.091239.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395447474.240456.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1395447492.498661.jpg
    Interesting story: my '51 Chevy is gonna' be in the movies! I responded to a call for pre-1953 cars for a movie being filmed in Cincinnati. The movie is set in New York City in 1952, but is being filmed in Cincinnati because of the similarity in architecture. The photos attached are the car leaving my house, two pictures which were in a local news station's story, and a picture taken by a friend of a friend who passed by the filming site.

What will my Grandson have to look at when he's my age at a car show?

8. Model T1

Model T1

Nice introduction. Hey we live in Florida and need a heater. But we are probably further north. Nice looking Chevy. Like was written drive it and have fun. Maybe start with that dual master and go from there. Keep in mind, those brake lines and rubber hoses also need replaced even if you don't change the master. Also change the fuel lines as soon as possible. None of this is expensive to do yourself.
    Just take little steps and don't tear the car apart as long as it is running fine and money is needed for the family.