Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Has anyone over 63 ever FINISHED a project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jan 1, 2014.

?

I FINISHED a car Project after I was:

Poll closed Jan 8, 2014.
  1. 65

88 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. 70

20 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. 75+

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Jibs

Jibs

Depends what you mean by finished. Paint & upholstery-no, but driving & inspected yes. Just got my coupe on the road in September, turned 66 in August.

2. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

66 and finish to my standards a model A every 1 1/2 to 2 years.. Had total shoulder replacement 2 months ago but back laying on the cold Ohio shop floor trying to finish my sedan by spring.. I love doing it all except paint & upholstery and hope to build many more before my time is up.. Would rather build than drive...

3. Skidder

Skidder

I have a friend that finished a 66 Nova as well as a 1950 Chevy truck with a vortex motor and he is over 65. He does have help though...:) currently he is working on adding a Vortex motor to his 86 suburban.

4. ronnieroadster

ronnieroadster

Finished can be accomplished when you actually work on the project in place of sitting in front of a computer screen! Just wondering how its finished if you don't work on it maybe add some water? So is age really a reason for an unfinished project ? It might be used as an excuse.

Tony Martino likes this.
  5. I am 68 and on disability, never built a car bought all of them, but most needed serious reworks pulled tranys and fixed rear ends, suspension and stearing, welding, exhaust I got 8 cars and 3 will be worked on this winter did a major spot repair and paint on a show car:D
    Oh my wagon is in CKD in the billitproof page, even if the rearend Is broken now need a 60 in wide rear with 2.41 gears for it:eek:

Tony Martino likes this.
  6. 58cchevy

58cchevy

Does anyone ever really finish a project? I don't think you quit working and changing things as long as you have your car. I finished mine at 70 but am still working on little improvements. car was finished in 2013 just before I turned 71.

Attached Files:

7. ford495051

ford495051

I finished my 54 Ford convertible right after I turned 65. Started right in on a 63 split window Corvette. It will be done before I turn 66. I do everything but the upholstery. I've always started with basket cases. I don't remember ever getting any help. I'm going to take a little time off this summer to ride my Harley back to Oregon again. Maybe I'll find a new project out there.

Old is a state of mind........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Barry Cooperider and SicSpeed like this.
  8. Bellytanker

Bellytanker
    from California

Yes. I'm 66 and the day after Thanksgiving, got my 55 truck back from the upholster after having taken it to bare metal, straightened the few bruises that had happened since I originally did it in '99 (that also includes the damage from backing it into a post with the drivers door open), some engine work, new paint, and the aforementioned upholstery. Don't know what the next project is, but there WILL be something, maybe that old Honda CT200 in the attic. Can't stop now.

9. I finished my gasser the year I turned 65. I started my dart the following year and finished it in 6 months. I will be 69 in Feb. I started working on my 37 pickup in 1983 and I worked on it today and I enjoy it. I have built a lot of cars and trucks in that time but I still keep going back to the truck.

Attached Files:

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

With 48 votes it looks like there are more guys in the SCTA 200 MPH Club than 63+ year olds that will finish a car project. Guess I should have asked if it was worth the time and expense or was it a big letdown? Bob

11. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

I'm to busy working on my new 57 Vett to figure out exactly how many cars I finished since I was 63 but I think it has at least got to be 6 or 7 complete builds or restorations.

I would have painted them myself except I have an excellent painter working for me.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  12. Larry T

Larry T

I kinda doubt that every 63+ year old that's finished a car has posted on your survey.
    Some of them might be out in the garage working on something. :D

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

From looking out in my yard my answer is obviously no. For me at least the rush to finish a project has lost some of the high priority that it had when I was in my 20's and 30's and would bust my butt for 16 hrs or more a day to get one finished.
    My two big issues right now are time and weather conditions as I have to do almost all of my work outside on a gravel driveway. It's 27 out there right now and not conducive to a 67 year old with bronchitis being out there working although I have enough to do.

14. 73RR

73RR

...for some of us it is not the destination but, rather, the journey...

15. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Be 71 soon--just finished a 40 std coupe and going after another one-std took 6 months. If I get the next one I hope to have it done by June. Do all except paint and uph. Wife and I assemble them in our garage. These are frame off cars and painted in pieces,etc. Hope to be able to do at least 2 or 3 more just to keep me occupied and use up all the 40 pts. Have done 5 40's and a 57 FI BelAir since I turned 63.

16. DWest

DWest
    from Missouri

um.........I'll let you know when I get my vintage modified going and on the track.

17. racemad55

racemad55

Butch,don't forget the 51'woodie you still have to bring home!

18. nexxussian

nexxussian

The37kid

It depends on what you call "done."

My father and I are working to finish our OT GMC project, as he is retired he gets more hours in it than I do, but we should have it "finished" (painted and interior) for this summer.

We took it on a road trip last summer (just over 3K mi in 2 weeks) in rattle can and no interior.

We also have an Anglia that is due for an update, we "finished" it just over 10 years ago, 30K+ Miles on Alaskan roads will "help" you decide what updates you want (better suspension in the back, while we're in there.... ;) ).

We "finished" our Model A fall before last (interior), this past summer the engine spun the balancer, we'll have it back in the car this spring.

He was over 60 when we started the first of those (Anglia) does that count as "done?"

Since he doesn't do 'putters, do I post for him?

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Well I'm not old enough yet, but I figure by the time I finish all the crap I'm working on right now, I will be!!:rolleyes::eek:

20. teejay99

teejay99

Mind is willing , body ain't .....I'm 68 .

T

21. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

Sure, I am 68 and finished two cars since I was 63.........my 23 and the rebuild of my 27. I am just getting back on my 29 rpu project and plan on building a drag altered next fall.

Age is only a state of mind, and I am 18 inside my head. :):):)

Don

22. 64 be 65 in april . Finished one last year working on a coe that should be running by April and finished by sept. then on the 59 wagon . I'm not as fast as I used to be but work out in the shop every day home .

23. I finished this car Nov. 2011, three days before my 70th birthday..it was an 8 yr project and there was lots of time I thought it would go to the scrapyard as an unfinished pile...!!!

Attached Files:

24. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

I am 71 and hope to finish the '49 Chevy some day (runs & drives, needs interior, paint and wires) but my age is not the problem. Changed timing belts in 2 O/T daily drivers within the last 2 months, welded-up a tractor rim (mounted and dismounted tire myself), neighbors keep dropping in with stuff they need help on, was working 50 hour weeks last summer as a construction inspector (underground utilities), still doing inspection work as the weather permits and drive a special needs school bus in my 'off-time'. Oh - and got my pilots license active last fall after 9 years.

Not enough time - or poor time management!! :)

25. Start when I was 15, I'm 68 years old now. Still buying, tweaking, and selling old cars. Looking for my next project a 1940 Ford coupe. I hope when the Good Lord calls me I'm in my shop.

26. tinhunter

tinhunter

UM, I don't remember the question...Does starting a project count ? Actually turned 69 2 days ago and just starting to update my last purchase ( 40 pickup)It will never get finished as there is no such a thing in my world when it comes to project vehicles and there never has been, work on them, drive them and sell them...then start over because i don't have the funds to keep and to build. . My 34 5 window was a complete build from scratch...wasn't supposed to be but most of my buys turn out that way,LOL, finished it... well not quite , needed interior and exh.. last spring at 68..

27. pnevells

pnevells

We finished our altered a three year project this summer , i am 60 , finishing a project is more of a determination thing than age,

28. wicarnut

wicarnut

66 years young and AGE has caught with me, still do work on my cars, but a major project is beyond me now. In my mind, I still can, BUT...... Its not going to happen. Majority of my Hot Rod friends are "old timers" like me and only a few still do major builds. I 've always admired the men that built Rods from start to finish, just have not really come across very many at any age in my life of being a car crazy guy from childhood on. John

29. 61 chevy

61 chevy

my car had to be rebuild after a engine fire, I had 3 friends over here working on it ,getting it running,ALL OVER 63, GREAT GUYS, nobody had to use a manual for help, we learned a long time ago

30. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

Depends on your definition of "finished". Finished as in completely and totally finished, or finished enough so I can drive it, and enjoy it. I think anyone with a hot rod/street rod ALWAY has something in mind that they'd like to do to their ride, unless your goal is to build it and sell it. In my case, I will never sell mine. My family can do what they wish with it after I'm gone, but while I'm still kicking, I'll continue to tinker with it. And it will most likely NEVER be finished, because I keep thinking of things I'd like to do to it, while I still can.:D

Wayne

P.S. I'm 65 years old.