Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Has anyone over 63 ever FINISHED a project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The37Kid, Jan 1, 2014.

?

I FINISHED a car Project after I was:

Poll closed Jan 8, 2014.
  1. 65

88 vote(s)
    79.3%
  2. 70

20 vote(s)
    18.0%
  3. 75+

3 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. The37Kid

The37Kid

Ok, we're starting another year, guys buy finished cars, nothing wrong with that. Guys pay shops to build cars, I work in one, that is FINE, but how many guys actually FINISH a car they built themselves late in life?

2. squirrel

squirrel

I'm too young to vote, but I have several friends older than that who've finished building more than one car when they were well over 63 years old....

3. aonemarine

aonemarine
    from Delaware

Finished by themselves? Or with some help?
    The older guys still get em done fine and dandy, but sometimes need some young backs and eyes.

4. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014

5. Hmm, maybe this is why I can't get anything finished, I have never had help with anything. And after I retired I find it really hard to do it alone now.

6. adam401

adam401

Any of you old bastards need help unloading the pickup truck or muscling in a transmission feel free to hit me up. we don't need anybody breaking a hip. . Hehehe

7. Bob...Finished the wagon when I was 62 but I guess in this thread that's too young to qualify! :D HRP

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

I just realized to answer the questions you'd have to be 65-75+, own a computer, and remember if the project is finished or not, that is if you can remember were you left it. Bob :rolleyes:

9. dorf

dorf
    from ohio

my friend is 76 three yrs ago built and finished a 55 customized ford two yrs ago a 49 ford convertible this yr he is building a 56 chevy 4dr hdtp itwill be on the road come spring . but i know a fellow that does fantastic work who is 86 and just starting another project . you gotta just keep plugging away .

10. Bob, don't forget uncle charlie!; '30 A roadster, '34 "beater" pickup, '34 show pickup, his T roadster with flathead, and he is finishing up work on A roadster pickup #2.
    he was talking about his next project when i saw him at christmas.

11. I won't pretend I did it all by my lonesome..I have had help,,I still have a lot to do to my '32 sedan before I can call it finished but it is a driver. HRP

12. Larry T

Larry T

Yep, I'm over 63 and finished some projects. But not since I've turned 63 (about a year ago).
    I'm not old enough to take your poll though.

13. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

Not bragging, just facts

I'm 63 and 1/2 and I'm working on my 28th hotrod as we speak, a 29 ford. I try to build one a year,and I'm not planning on stopping any time soon ,Do everything myself except upholster the seats,

Thank you and Happy new Year!!!

14. Jessie J.

Jessie J.

Oh hell, and here I am pushing 65 with three projects, not countin workin on the house and shop.
    Prolly start drooling and needing me diapers changed afore I get even one finished.

But what the hell, been in my second childhood for the last three decades and am still having a ball. :D
    Yer only as old as you think you are.

wojojo likes this.
  15. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

this is encouraging to hear that guys in their 70`s and 80`s are still out in the shop and finishing cars. i`l be 65 this month and i`m in the home stretch on a `37 1/2 ton. when that`s done [in the spring] i`m going to start on a pre-war `32 roadster and when that`s done i`m going to start on my `40 coupe with a Dodge hemi! sometimes i think i`m just fooling myself, i`m not sure i can do it. but if someone else can, I can!
    tom

16. What about me??

17. i didn't think you were that old:eek::D:cool:

18. Gee Thanks!:p

19. elba

elba

I am 66 and my Econoline Pickup will be finished in about 90 days. The only things that I didn't take apart is the diff and trans. Viper Red, base, clear . New glass.I did everything myself except the seat covering.
    Next project is a 1949 Dodge panel truck that will be on a Chevy S-10 chasis , slant 6 and air.

20. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Is any project ever really finished?

21. 26hotrod

26hotrod
    from landis n c

I am 69 with very good health and I didn't know you ever got finished with a hot rod. Been working on mine for 16 yrs and still keep finding things to do to it. Its always been a driver too.....................

22. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

I'm 67. In the shop most every day. The trick is to not have more than one project going on at once.
    I've been working on my 34 for 10 years. I took the engine apart in the 35 coupe, IHC 8-16 tractor is under construction and the Fordson tractor is in the snowbank, 3 flatheads being built when I run out of things to do..............

23. I'm only 61 so I can't answer, but I think the more appropriate question would be; Has anyone ever finished a project car? (except for pros and they just say it's done so they can get some money)

24. Sold my '32 pu a year ago, hope to be driving the cabriolet in the spring....69 this year. Tim

25. rosco gordy

rosco gordy

60 and my steam is goin fast after about a million cars worked on and helped I tuckered

26. Dave 39

Dave 39

I'm 66. Finishing my car kind of scares me. Seriously. What would I do then. I've got to have a project, got to stay busy. The couch= death. Dave

Tony Martino likes this.
  27. cmyhtrod

cmyhtrod
    from ct

Bob, I can think of a handful of guys here in Ct, most of them you know, who finished restorations when they were 65+

28. 39 Ford

39 Ford

I have a friend who is 69 and builds several cars every year for others and himself he shows no signs of slowing down.

29. Somebody

Somebody

If it moves under it's own power it's finished right?

Tony Martino likes this.