Register now to get rid of these ads!

what is the rarest car you have come across

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by davesville, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Cantstop

Cantstop

local guy around these parts has a couple actual NASCAR Daytonas in restoration. Also a buddy claimed he had a 50s roadster that was built by Chris Craft. What I saw of it was a fiberglass body w/frame and a few boxes of parts (kind of nautical looking parts if I remember right). I called BS at the time, but does anybody remember them/or Pics?

2. papawlambert

papawlambert
    from poetry,tx

This is Eddie Miller's Studebaker powered roadster. Body is aluminum and the frame was fabricated from heavy wall sheet medal. NO IT IS NOT A HEALY!

[​IMG]

Eddie died several years ago. The car is in his Son's garage in California.

3. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

My grandfather had a "1910 Rolls Royce" chassis in one of his fields since the 20's with plans to use it for a hay wagon...went to investigate it and it turned out to be a Duesenberg...my cousin later sold it at Hershey, hope that one wasn't missed!

4. rshooman

rshooman

wrench burner - sent PM about manifold.

5. rshooman

rshooman

Sorry - Wrench Bender - sent a PM. Fat fingers and typing too fast

6. rshooman

rshooman

Wrenchbender,
    I have been following Buddy and crew with the Salt Flats Car for a while - Great thread, great effort and congratulations to him and the team.. THey put in endless hours, coordinated parts, machining, transportation, great idea implamentation and have done some very cool stuff to make their goal. I am hoping they reach it this year.

7. wrenchbender

wrenchbender

Thanks for your support of the flatcad crew if it were not for everyone's support we wouldn't be where we are today and 200 mph is definately in the cards as this last year we went 189.911 mph and didn't even have it tuned well and now that the car is qualified for the long course 200 is very attainable also you have no idea the thrash we have had the last three years but somehow we pull it off each time this year has been nice to be able to relax a bit the flatcad will be at the grand national roadster show in jan if ya get a chance come by and say hi we are always up for a flatcad chat

Chrome don't get ya home

8. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

Any more info on this one? I'm glad you said it is not a Healey because it looks just like one with a different grill.

9. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

A buddy had a 1929 Star. Nice body style.

10. desoto60

desoto60

I worked on a 1955 Facel Vega FV1 back a few years ago! Awesome car only 26 hand built in 1955!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

12. I worked a two British dealerships, one shop that restored and serviced Healeys and owned two 100-6 Healeys. There is more Austin Healey there than anything else

13. Devonrod

Devonrod
    from london uk

They had one of these in the motor museum at Silver Springs in Florida in 1989.

14. '27 Jordon Playboy roadster.JW

15. Back around 1970 my brother and I found a 60's Chrysler 300 Convertible Letter car in the back row of a used car lot. I can't remember the exact year but it had the dual cross ram manifold.
    Not so rare back then back hard to find now, a friend of mine is restoring a 1909 Maxwell Roadster.
    Another friend of mine had and sold a documented 65 Dodge Coronet 500 HT with a factory 426 wedge, automatic trans, power windows, factory air, and a vinyl top.

16. buikwag

buikwag
    1. Buick Nailheads

My friend had a 1954 Pininfarina bodied Cadillac, a one of a kind car built for a Hollywood music producer. He sold it and it was sent back to Italy and completely restored. There was a half hour TV show on Velocity channel a while back.

17. Well, I was at a buddies shop when Hamb'er T Head showed up with a 1917(?) Mercer.
    Howard

18. Kume

Kume

1919 Underslung - currently for sale in NZ. Looks more like a bastardized mid 20s Buick to me but I see there was a pre WW1 American "Underslung' that looked quite groovy, unlike this creature.

Attached Files:

kiwijeff likes this.
  19. I haven't seen this car close up yet but it looks to be mostly Willys-Knight bits. Found the ad for it on trademe. From what the owner has posted on the aaca forum at various I think he may have been confused, when he bought it, into thinking it was a genuine American underslung.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  20. Kume

Kume

ah yes Willys-Knight that makes sense. early sleeve valve

21. The Colby, manufactured in Mason City, Ia. Only one still known to exist is on display at the Museum at the Mason City airport. Incidentally, thats where the plane was chartered that Buddy Holly and the others died in.:eek:

Attached Files:

22. I know of an old guy with 3 yards full of old cars one of which is a 1940 "sharknose" Graham.

23. Here's the long version. There used to be a used car lot in Selma, CA called Glen's Used Cars, it was on the old 99 aka Golden State Boulevard that parallels the new 99. The owner died about 1965 and so the lot and all the cars were frozen in time. In the 70s and 80s a friend and I would sometimes go out and eat on Saturday and then go hop the fence and take the tour. There were rows of DeSotos and Hudsons chest high with flats sinking into the dirt.

The one car that stands out is a Packard Caribbean. Caribbeans were convertibles but hardtops were made in 56 which is what this one was. The rare part is that it said Caribbean Coral on the side and had salmon or coral paint and bamboo upholstery. I've googled Caribbean Coral numerous times over the years and there is no mention of it anywhere. Now only you and I know about it.

About ten years ago the lot sold and I watched the whole lot get emptied out over a single weekend. All cars disappeared to parts unknown.

24. gas4blood

gas4blood
    from Kansas

A friend worked on a gold one years ago. Another friend has a Cisistalia coupe, Arnold Bristol, A.C. roadster, Abarth coupe. I know of a 1915 Ford coupelet, one of 10 known, and once had a 1911 Ford Open Run about.

25. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

I've been there, thats a bad a#@ museum

26. jagster

jagster

Any Bristol is a rare car, as they only make about 40 a year, and they still hand make them. Very expensive. English, made by people who make airplanes, at least that is the way it started. They are not attractive, but rare.

27. jagster

jagster

A friend of mine had an AC, and I think out of the twenty's or thirties. Not an AC cobra, but an AC car. They made cars way before the sports cars came along in the 50's and 60's. Very few ever made, and this guy had one. Don't know what happened to it, as he died and everything got sold off. It might still be in town in the biggest collection there.

28. Not HAMB friendly, but rare non the less.
    Ram Air IV, GTO Judge Convertible, with an automatic.

29. Ognib

Ognib
    from Mo

Cool thread.

In '61 I was 14.
    We moved to a little town in Mo. with about 65 residents.
    Still had a post office, in the grocery store, with gas pumps out in front.
    This was my first summer with a job, on a hay crew with my dad's cousin.

I was walking up to the store on the 2 lane, to get a pepsi about a week after moving there & spotted a small barn door garage & noticed there was a car inside.
    I'da rather had a car than a steady lovin girlfriend in those days.
    Asked the guy at the store about it & he said it was an old merc & that he thought the old lady wanted to sell it.

Went & banged on her back door to see about it.
    Was a 41 coupe with 45k or so on the clock.
    When her husband passed, she put it in the shed & it hadn't, moved since.
    Wanted 300 for it.

Went home & got out my rather extensive collection of old small rod & custom magazines & started laying my plans.
    Oh, & my jc whitney catalog.
    Humm...3/4 race or full...2 or 3 97's...definately wanted an aluminum flywheel cause that would help it wrap a little more quickly, plus helped the motor have that racy idle.
    You know, young car nuts wet dreams.

I saved every penny of my hay money till I had the 3 bills & went to get it...she had sold it the weekend just past. :(

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014