Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Scratch built 1929 Roadster body sheeting structure

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cryptkepper, Apr 3, 2013.

1. coostv

coostv

Read through your build today. Pretty impressive undertaking that I hope to do myself someday!

Do you have an Explorer pan on that 302? If you do, a fox body Mustang pan is 1" less in depth. Just thought of this while in the shop looking at the motor out of my Mustang (that came from an explorer). I measured both, the fox pan is about 8" from flange to bottom and the Explorer is roughly 9". Of course, you would need the pick up tube from the Mustang as well.

Chris

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  2. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks Coostv the engine is a 351W and I have addressed the pan to ground issue. I had bought a front spring from Ron Pope and it was very weak I have since bought a spring from Speedway and gained almost two inches so I have a total of 5" of clearance, which is plenty. Good luck if you should start your project!!!

3. coostv

coostv

Ah, sorry, I must 've squirreled it away in my brain it was a 302.

Good to hear you got some clearance though.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

4. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Very ambitious! I'm excited for you. Its rare you see these kinds of projects make it all the way to completion. Yours will get there for sure. Good work!

5. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guys, its been a while but finally had sometime to work on the rod. I built an old school air cleaner and am almost finished just have to prime it.

Attached Files:

6. damnfingers

damnfingers

I like it...nice work.

7. snopeks garage

snopeks garage
    from macomb MI

wow im loveing that mesh grill! looks great man keep up the good work.

8. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Man I love this build. I wish I could do this. Great work man can't wait to see it done and on the road.

9. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks guys I appreciate your comments. I got a little side tracked this weekend with an industrial sewing machine it's a 1929 Singer 31-15 machine works great once I cleaned and oiled it and built a new table for it. I was telling my dad I was looking for a machine strong enough to sew leather and he said his brother who is 88 years old had one but it was old, My aunt sewed boat seat covers and canvas covers for boats. He called her and she said she hadn't used it in years but had put it in the garage and i could have it. I ran as fast as I could and went and got it. I have some experience with auto upolstery so I will be sewing my own seats as well as door panels and carpet. Boy I am running out of room in my shop fast, just couldn't pass it up!

10. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Those old Singer sewing machines are great. I had one that I was using to make Military style gear and it would sew through thick webbing. I stopping making gear and sold the machine and wish I had kept to do seat work now.

Can't wait to see the covers and how the car turns out. I know it will be an awesome ride when done.

What color combo will the seats be?

11. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Not sure but I like several colors, but I intend to get some remnents and practice first!

12. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

Great Job on the Air Cleaner!!!

13. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks! just wanted something different.

14. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

Man I wish I could build a body and the more I look at your thread the more I want to try it.

When I talk about the HAMB and its members who build their bodies by hand this is one of the first threads I talk about.

15. cool ride. how many sheet of 20 gaudge and how many sticks of squar tubing did it take.

16. Okie Pete

Okie Pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great job . I like your interpretation of the 29 body style.

17. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Three sheets 20 gauge and 8 20' sticks 3/4 16 gauge tubing 2 sticks of 3/4 x 1/8 flat bar. Still have about a 1/4 sheet of 20 gauge still have to purchase another sheet to make a fuel tank and bed cover to be coverd with convertible top material.

18. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks I wanted it to have an old school look along the lines of the 29 RPU. I'm happy with it as it sits but learned a lot but find I would have done some things differently. I have plans when this one is on the road I will attempt to build the same basic body but with a roof and full doors with roll up windows.

19. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I can't wait to see that build too. Man I wish I had the skill.

20. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guys had a little time this afternoon and started cutting the plywood base for the seat and marking out the top portion of the seat back. here's a couple of pic's!

Attached Files:

21. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

So how did you make the windshield post?

22. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guys, built the base and back for the seat had to slice the back to match the contour of the rear panel and built the underside of the bottom seat still have to cut out the center of the base to install webbing prior to gluing the foam on. Here are a couple of pic's!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  23. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Oops missed one!

Attached Files:

24. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey cowboy, I first built a jig. For the frame it's self I used 3/4 flat bar and heated it with a torch and bent it around the jig. For the uprights I used 3/16 flat plate. Hope this answers your question.

25. cowboy1

cowboy1
    from Austin TX

It looks great! I can't wait to get a place where I can start on a project again.

26. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guy's finished the foundation for the seat as well as the rear panels all that is left is the door panel and the left and right side panels at the cowl. Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

27. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Hey guys, once the seat was built the door latch handles were to far back so I designed and built my own bell crank system. Here are some pic's.

Attached Files:

28. brooksinc1976

brooksinc1976
    from P-Town

Continually amazed at the craftsmanship. Looks great.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

29. cryptkepper

cryptkepper
    from louisanna

Thanks, it's been fun!

30. CoronetRTguy

CoronetRTguy

I like how you did the doors, that is just awesome. This whole project has been awesome from the get go.