Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Saw a Futurliner that was a flatbed tow today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jimbacca, Aug 3, 2013.

1. That looks more like starting over than restoring! Lots of work.

2. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D:eek:Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh myyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.Now THAT`S a car hauler.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

3. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

Yes Steve thats me.

Saltflats,send me an e-mail to set up for a gig, but gettign to Ms is a pretty good run.

KS the Otis is not nearly as interesting as the Liner.

Its not bad at all to parrelle park its just not knowing where your ass end is, I built brackets to offset the mirrors you can see pretrty well except you loose Mini Coopers and BMW converts just below the mirrors for about 8 feet,I may hang another set of fish eyes so you can see that last blind spot.

Mick thats about what has to be done with those to make them right again, I was in and under that one quite a bit and it had a lot of rot at the lower compartments.

The main frame on these is pretty massivethere is nothing wrong with it, the front or rear axles all that was heavy duty equipment even for today, its just that the Yellow Coach Works just threw them together to get them on the road and the bodys were built fairly light, although they claim they weight in at 30,000 #'s , I havn't run this one across a scale yet, I do know that it had about 12'000#'s on the front axle when we went to Yakima Wash for the ATHS show at the end of May, thats when Norson saw us heading south.

4. Machinos

Machinos

This is great!

5. raven

raven

Didn't they run a Jimmy 302 originally?
    r

6. Kerry67

Kerry67

7. apound

apound

I've seen pictures of the one Dave Kindig is doing. Man that is a lot of work. Looks like they are doing a really good job on it. He told me they were not built to be worked on.

8. Vimtage Iron: thanks for updating us, I too saw the one in Auburn a few years ago, way kool,
    Glad you have yours...Great conversion and save,,,

9. Found the Pics I took at ACD in Auburn, IN...
    This pics are dated 2006...
    I love this thing....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

I got my computer and card reader up and running again, so here are a couple more pictures.
    Raven on the orginals in 36 I believe they ran 4 banger detroits and then kitted those over to these units when these were built 39/40, then in the next rebuild of these they put in the 302 Jimmys and slush boxes, how they ever moved around is beyond me, this one weighs in at about 12,000 on the front axle, there are a couple things that make this one a little heavier than the orginals but I suspect they came in about 10,000 on the front axle so those old girls had a load on.
    The one you see that Tierod posted is the one that the NATMUS museum in Auburn Ind owns and was restored by volenteers in Vreeland Mi.

Attached Files:

11. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Thanks for sharing more shot of it. Shared the thread with some people and they are just amazed by how cool that thing is.

12. Back in the '80's when I was involved in the Antique Nationals, I saw a Futurliner in the infield at California Speedway. It must have been the one mentioned earlier as a party bus, because it had a bar, lots of fuzzy stuff on the walls, and disco lighting. Anyway, I gave the owner a flyer to the Antique Nationals and told him to come up. On the day of the drags, here comes this monster bus up to the gate, and the guy opened the door, and told me to hop in and give him directions. I remember climbing up next to the driver and directing him in to the pits. It was undoubtedly one of the best days of my life!

13. 117harv

117harv

Can someone make this a large pic?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  14. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Looks like all 12 with support semis behind. Nice shot.

15. biscaynes

biscaynes

cool picts, thks for sharing :cool:

16. Tom.Sweden

Tom.Sweden
    from Sweden

17. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

I had mentioned earlier that we had it rented out for a stage for the upcoming SEMA show this year but that fell through a couple weeks ago.
    But be on the lookout tomorrow, Thur, It'll be on the road heading north to Buellton for a Vintage trailer show over the weekend, we usually take another toy else besides the Cad and Trailer to these shows .

18. GregCon

GregCon
    from Houston

Cool. But they look like they don't use space that efficiently.

19. sololobo

sololobo

cool city, super sweet!!~sololobo~

20. janbuick

janbuick

21. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Best truck frame swap thread EVER!!! :D

22. Kinky6

Kinky6

They were built as rolling display platforms for that GM "Century of Progress" expo that you see on the banner in post #80. They get driven to wherever one of these expos was being held, then the side panels open up to display whatever was loaded into them.

Later, Kinky6 :cool:

23. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

24. daddio211

daddio211

I'd been waiting for someone to post that, or for me to remember to dig this thread up and post it myself.

I can see it getting $300K but $1.25 million is just stupid. Granted, how many are there in existence? Still, it's really only the front 1/4 or less of the body on a... dump truck frame? Or was it a cement truck frame?

Not to knock the guy's vision or craftsmanship but I'd be blown away to see it go north of $350K. There's a ton of work in it and it's cool as hell, plus it's certainly a "usable" vehicle unlike the other Futureliners, but still... $1.25 MILLION???? :eek:

25. Vimtage Iron

Vimtage Iron

He sold the last one that needed a complete restoration to a gent in Utah a year ago for about 350 large,its now at a shop getting a restoration and I understand they may put a couple mil in it.
    This one is whats left over from a guy in San Diego and there wasn't much left, the NATMUS museum in Auburn Ind ended up with it as parts so after what was usable went to them and the one in Sweden the cab is all that was left. There is a lot of money tied up in this one also, the back end opens and a beaver tail bed made by Extreme in las vegas flips out to drive on to the main bed and includes a winch,this is a bacisly drive anywhere truck and of it doesn't sell between now and May we'll run it to Springfield Ms in for the ATHS national show in May.

26. Kustom.Falcon

Kustom.Falcon

Crazy cool. It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

27. Bob K

Bob K
    Member Emeritus
    from Antigo Wi.

There is one in the GM Heritage Center in Detroit, I didn't see that one mentioned. It has a working diorama of a progressive history of early American countryside.

B:DB

28. daddio211

daddio211

The one in Utah is being restored by Dave Kindig's staff at Kin-Dig-It design, a real cool high end hot rod shop. Several of his key employees are members here.

My '27 T Roadster build: www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t= 734383

29. Did all of them originally have gasoline engines?

They must of been real dogs on the road!

Posted using Full box of Crayons on the Kitchen Walls App!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  30. jlhelm

jlhelm
    from Minnesota

St Paul. Back to the 50's 2010

Attached Files: