Register now to get rid of these ads!

History BC Custom Car Associaton

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 29bowtie, Aug 4, 2013.

1. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

you'll have to find a kid to take that one for you ----- looking forward to seeing it

2. 65deluxe

65deluxe

A number of Mission shots from '75. Thanks Biscaynes

1.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

3. 65deluxe

65deluxe

More from Boundary Bay. Biscaynes again.

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

4. biscaynes

biscaynes

thanks doug
    remember bob nicholson's chevy II wagon one night broke off the line, opponent had red lit, they made him start pushing the car toward the finish line. gave him the win after he pushed it a couple car lengths :D

5. 65deluxe

65deluxe

My son, 5 years old at the time enjoyed some "seat time" in Casper in the mid 1990's.

21.jpg

6. Fedman

Fedman

Great Pic in the Cockpit of the Syndicate!

Merry Christmas Everybody!

Brian

7. I`m familiar with several of those cars, the first photo showed Randy Swains 69-70 Nova Super Stocker doing a burnout .The Brown 66 Nova, the "Banger" belonged to Mke Armstrong from Courtney on Vancouver Island. Bob Nicholsons yellow 65 Chevy 11 wagon was runner up at the first NHRA National event in Seattle, 76 or 77. Bob used to run a shop on Kingsway in Port Coquitlam called Trick Automotive, I had him widen a pair of 15x7 wheels by 4" (all to the inside) for my 64 Falcon. A friend of mine, Ross Johnston bought the wagon from Nicholson, and the old Taylor & McNichol 63 Chev ramp truck, he rented a spot in a large shop I used to rent in New Westminster. Johnston stood the wagon up on the rear bumper at Seattle over 30 years ago, and folded up the front end pretty badly. He had a shop in Washington State build a new tube front chassis in the car, and sold the car before ever finishing the car. No idea what ever became of the wagon. The white and red 69 Mustang belonged to Chris Sackett, and was an origional 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed car that he bought new, and turned it into a Super Stocker. He had a small shop doing Ford performance stuff in Vancouver, and built my first 390 FE that I ran in my 66 Fairlane GTA in 77, and swapped into my 64 Falcon in 78. In the first page of photos, Bill Fosters black Corvette, and George Hadlers red Nova were just 2 of the strong running Modified Production cars that came up to Mission from Washington State. Those high RPM stick Modified cars made the hair on the back of your neck stand up when they did a dry hop, or launched. Great Times! I have a bunch of photos from that era I gotta get help scanning and posting soon.

falcongeorge likes this.
  8. 5w32

5w32

Great photo, did he grow up liking 55-57 cars?

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Bob Nicholson also built the motors in Doug Rutz' Camaro "ahem" street car. It gave the the Buck Kinney "team cars" (knudge, knudge, wink, wink, say no more) all they could handle and then some.

Everything the Perkins Bros ran was SUPER clean.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  10. Eldovert

Eldovert

A few shots of one of Jack's cars. This car was chopped and channeled with a Cadillac V-12 and is a four door.

The car resides in Victoria.

Cheers,Pat

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      323.4 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      406.2 KB
      Views:
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      File size:
      423.9 KB
      Views:
    • jack 1.jpg
      jack 1.jpg
      File size:
      85.2 KB
      Views:
    • jack 2.jpg
      jack 2.jpg
      File size:
      469.8 KB
      Views:
    • jack 3.jpg
      jack 3.jpg
      File size:
      93 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2013
  11. Thank You so much, I have searched for a photo of that car for years. Rory, I was there when Ross stood the wagon on the bumper at SIR. I also recall my brother had a set of Trick Automotive, widened rear wheels on his 66 Chevelle convertible, which is another bracket car that disappeared into the woodwork. Last seen on TV news coverage, of a Heritage house fire in South Surrey, poking it's nose out of a barn.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  12. tombstone

tombstone
    from sk.canada

Found this ..... V - 12 in the shoebox , plus more BC cars .... HRM '54..... MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  13. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I had posted the photos of the ford from the hot rod article on the "your favorite local custom" thread, was hoping more pics would show up. GREAT STUFF! So is the car still intact? Still have the cad in it?

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

This is missing the last page, if I can find the time, I will add it before we leave for the festivities this afternoon.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Heres the last page, lots of good early shots of what later became known as "the Apache".

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

16. Rocket88

Rocket88

Great shot Kevin!
    I bet every gearhead in town wondered what the view was like.

It's unfortunate that Casper got cut up, one of my fav's.

Merry Christmas guys.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  17. Eldovert

Eldovert

The V-12 is out and a flathead ford is in. Years ago I had heard of a V-12 Cadillac motor that was sitting in a garage around here and I wondered if that was the mill out of the car.The guy that knew where it was is dead:mad:
    Cheers,Pat

18. 5w32

5w32

RIP Jim

19. D type

D type
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for posting Kevin its blue t full just like I pictured it Ray

20. Grumbler

Grumbler

The Speed shop, was that across the street from Mountview Motors when it was an AMC dealer IIRC? I'm almost certain I went to school with Dave Fleishman (West Van High grad 72, that sound right?) I grew up between Horseshoe Bay and Sunset Beach

21. MBog

MBog

I grew up between Horseshoe Bay and Sunset Beach

You grew up?? I never did...<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

22. LOL, still working on that myself, Mark!

23. 5w32

5w32

that's where i remember The Speed Shop, i windowed my 327 (69 chevy stepside) right in front, now that left a mark !! lol ...i think the oil stains is still there

falcongeorge likes this.

24. Mr. FE. I believe These photos are of the Falcon once owned by Maddaloni, you and Mr. MacKenzie. Am I right?

Attached Files:

Stogy likes this.
  25. Yes, the the same car. When Dan Maddaloni owned the car, it had the blue & white paint with "Sweet Revenge" on the doors. It still had the same paint when I raced it in 78, albeit with a 390 FE and C6. That photo is when I owned the car,I believe in 78 or 79, and on Maddalonis trailer. Possibly taken at a street race at Latimer Road. After Mission closed after 78, I painted it blue & white,and for a few months in 79, it was my daily driver. I sold it less engine and trans, that owner painted it Grabber Blue, a year later I traded him a 70 Mach 1, and got the Falcon back.I raced it at Bremerton in 80, and maybe 81, and then sold it to MacKenzie.He had Daverport redo the rear quarters, painted it red, and ran it with a SB Chev and PG. I believe the picture of the car red was taken at Langley Speedwayfor `SuperCar Sunday`. Ron sold the car, and it went thru at least 3 owners on Vancouver Island, was painted blue again, and later ran with a FE Ford for a while, then Otto SChulte bought it, and has been running it with a 460 type engine for several years. The car was origionally a BC Hydro car, then Maddaloni bought it, and drove it to high school. He then made a Modified Production racer from it, G/Gas I seem to recall with a SB Ford and stick. So its been a drag car for about 40 years now. Probably about all thats the same as when I had it is the roof, cowl, and part of the 1/4 panels, but its still cool to see it at the track.

26. OK people. We've seen a lot of cars on this thread, whether from here or the US. but what has become of some of those cars? We know the Flyin' Purple People Eater custom is scheduled to be restored soon, the 'Casper' the friendly '55 was converted to a Super gas car, the 'Phillips & Estridge' dragster was restored as the 'North Wind' which was driven by Ed 'The Ace' McCullouch, the Zant & Foster dragster was restored by Jim Green as the 'Assassin' Cammer engined dragster of Jim Crock and the Mike Foster driven 'Caesar's Ghost' dragster was restored as the 'Little Trouble' Dragmaster of Earl Poage. But what of some of these other cars on here. I know the former 'King Rat' dragster of the Iseli bros. hasn't been out at Mission Raceways in several years and what of Sam Hess' dragster. What history did it have if any. I recall last seeing him with it in Langley in the early '80s when it was painted yellow. Just putting it out there as some mysterys to be solved, but a lot more questions will be asked. I'm just getting warmed up.

27. Fedman

Fedman

Sam Hess was, (is) a very talented Welder, doing some work on the Iseli Bros. Chassis back in the Day. As far as the Dragster, I do not remember it having any History prior to Sam running it, but that does not mean that it did not. I have not seen Sam since 1978 when the original Track closed, I hope that he is doing well.

28. I also have not seen Sam Hess in many years. He used to live in the Fleetwood area of Surrey, and I always remembered his FE dragster as being black. He ran Chevy engines in it, but many years ago I went to his place to check out his dragster, as he was selling it. I was kinda interested in it, but it was just to small for me to fit into it, even close to being comfortable. Sam did give me a photo of the car before he owned it, it was black, and had an injected early Hemi. When Mission first re opened in 1992, Marty Zazula was racing a black FE dragster with an injected BB Chev, now I wonder if it may possibly be the same car.
    As for the Ed McCulluch "Northwind" car, I didn`t realize it at that time, but that was the same car that a freind had bought from Bill Phillips in the early 80s. Dave Craig had it for quite a few years, and ran it for a little while with a 302 Ford , and later had it stretched, and installed a Boss 429 Ford. I remember Dave took it to a SuperCar Sunday show at Langley Speedway with the Boss 429, but I can`t recall ever seeing it at the track with the Boss engine. Years later I ran into Dave, and he told me that he had sold the car, and it was being restored back to the Northwind configuration.

29. Also, isn`t the old Iseli Bros. dragster the same car that Brian Barling has raced for many years, first as a low 9/hi 8 second carbed SB Chev, and then later with a blown SB? He ran it in Top Comp, although I have not seen it in a few years.

30. Fedman

Fedman

Rory, while I do not know for sure, I don't think that Marty Z. FED was Sam Hess' old car.
    Marty's was a long Chassis, probably at least 200", made our 183" Car look short!
    We raced against Marty and his crew for many years, I have a Pic of both our FED's leaving the starting line at Mission in 1992, Wheels up, good memories.

Yes, the Dragster I have raced for many years is the old Iseli Bros. ex "King Rat" T/F Car.

We front halved it for the 92 season, then back halved for the 2003 season, i still think of it as the same car, many might not.

We retired from Racing at the end of 2008. Car is still under a cover in my shop.

Brian.

Oh, Happy New Year Everyone!