Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Plan II - 62 Chevy II Drag Car

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Dec 27, 2013.

1. squirrel

squirrel

I've been thinking about it and haven't decided which would be best. The location near the center of the frame rail gives more torsional stiffness where the motor mounts are, the front location supports the springs better. The longer the tubes are, the more they weigh, and they need to be thicker to prevent buckling...but they give more room for exhaust. Although if I build my own headers, that's not an issue. And there are other reasons for building my own headers, including that I've never done it before.

1Nimrod, chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  2. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Not having built something is probably a great reason to do your own! I love to spend hours or days building something, even if I could buy it cheap. It's just the fun of going through the build process!

1Nimrod, els and Doctorterry like this.
  3. pitman

pitman

Jim,
    The Chev looks great. I began building headers, and still use, forty years later :eek:, oxy/acet. I did a search on components,
    Ex: http://www.spdexhaust.com/BendsB.html where they show mandrel bent pipe, in various thicknesses. I was looking for the 360* loops, that cut into ~(4) 90*s!
    They are the ticket if you can find them.
    For the collector, at the pipe ends cut a four-sided star, to fill the center. Then build up a weld puddle 'outside' between each pair O'O, where the collector will overlap. As you build, for each pipe joint, tack 2 or pref., 3 places, and fill in!
    Points, if you get out without a skin burn!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  4. Chevy55

Chevy55
    from Nebraska

Liking the looks of this build. From the positioning of your engine I am thinking the Hooker big block Chevy 2 headers would probably fit. Two tubes on each side are slip fit and the last couple of sets I found at swap were practically given to me, $50 for one set and $60 for the better set, fewer dents in the better set. Just trying to keep you from investing a lot of time in headers unless it is something you really want to try.

chryslerfan55, els and Xea like this.
  5. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

How about extending the down tubes to the spring hanger as suggested, and also adding a down tube at the crossmember? It would be the best of both worlds, and add stiffness in both spots.

els likes this.
  6. mtrhead

mtrhead

Cool build !!

els likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

I finally got around to taking the transmission shield out of my 55, to put in the Chevy II.

After playing around with the grille, radiator, and engine location, I decided I need to move the engine back as far as I can, which is about 7/8". I pulled the mock up engine out, and cut off the mounts from the frame (they were just tacked in), and moved and re tacked them. Then I put the trans shield on the transmission, and tried to put the engine back in...it was a struggle, I had to cut the floor up some to get it to fit. But it's in there now. Time to do some more work inside the car, building the transmission tunnel. I'm trying to keep as much of it original as I can, but it's going to have a big chunk of new metal by the time it's done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jay.S

Jay.S

looking great so far! planning on using stock steering box?

chryslerfan55 and els like this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

Yes, I think I can make it work. I may have to modify an oil pan for drag link clearance, but if that's the only problem I'm doing good

1Nimrod and els like this.
  10. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Lookin good! Love seeing new projects start up.:cool:

els likes this.
  11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

A trip to the hardware store to pick up a wheel barrel and some firewall work and a lil more floor pan work and that won't be an issue any more ;).

12. squirrel

squirrel

Nope, I'm leaving as much of the firewall stock as I can....I'm doing the engine setback the other way, by moving the wheels forward.

13. Cali4niaCruiser

Cali4niaCruiser

Can't wait to see where this one goes. Good work Jim!

els likes this.
  14. Deuced Up!

Deuced Up!
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Personally I like the Nova's with a bit of an altered wheel base so I would say cheat the front forward a bit. By the way, I am hoping to compete next year as well in that class. I decided to put a Doug Nash 5 speed in my Austin. It has a really low first gear (5.30 ish). On paper that will let me run a 3.50 gear out back. My hope is it will launch like crazy but when it gets into high, it will be fairly highway happy.

1Nimrod and chryslerfan55 like this.
  15. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've enjoyed following along elsewhere, Jim... And it's even better with all the tech/info posted here. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress and hopefully this car out on the road somewhere this summer!

Malcolm

1Nimrod, pitman and els like this.
  16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

All Joking aside about wheel barrel's. Only brought it up cuz that was back yard racing at it's best. Not like today. Which makes it refreshing to see the old school way of trimming all the fat off the stock clip and not using an over the counter front clip.

17. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

When I built my AWB Chevy II, I mounted a Vega steering box ahead of the axle. That way, there's no interference issue with the drag link and the oil pan. I used a universal Speedway axle kit. Moved the front wheels forward 3", and moved the rear end forward 10". Sorry, no pictures. I'm computer illiterate.

18. squirrel

squirrel

If the Vega had been invented before 1967.....I'd probably be more inclined to go that route. But I'm trying to keep this build as "old" as I can, within reason. And I'm trying to get it done without spending much money, I'll waste hours instead of buying a $100 part.

With a few glaring exceptions, of course.

19. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

Awesome build so far subscribed

20. squirrel

squirrel

Thanks!

Been playing with carburetors lately....seeing if I can get some 750 cfm AFBs set up for it. I may put them on my 55 first, to see how they work.

21. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Very cool project. Thanks for keeping us updated.

els likes this.
  22. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I'm subscribed, looks like its gonna be a good one !!!

23. enloe

enloe
    from east , tn.

I have a pic of your 55 in my photo albums on my home page on here from drag week this year. I really liked your car. I know this one will be cool also.

24. squirrel

squirrel

I just sold one of my old trucks, so I have more money to spend on the Chevy II....looks like the old credit card is gonna melt this month

25. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

This looks like a fun build and I'm along for the ride.

26. llonning

llonning

Don't know how I missed this before now. Going to be a hell of a build. Go for it!!!!

Len

27. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

squirrel, in the gasser class, is there any limits to motor set back or wheel base alterations?

28. squirrel

squirrel

No. Not for Drag Week. You can have fun building your car however you want...but you gotta use the right engine, and it has to look "right" to Keith and Dave

29. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

From the little I have read of the rules, that was my understanding (the look was the main thing). looking forward to seeing how the nova runs...

30. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

I respect your viewpoint there. You might still consider mounting a steering box ahead of your axle. It can save a lot of grief. A Corvair box, possibly?