Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Disney's California Adventure CARS LAND Opening June 15

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vividlyvintage, May 12, 2012.

1. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

[​IMG]
    In June, I visited Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park during a short vacation to the Golden State. Wow! I was beyond impressed with this new land (and equally as impressed with Buena Vista Street, where I enjoyed dancing to the music of Five & Dime!). One thing I loved in Cars Land was the details, such as the car hoods found at Ramone’s House of Body Art. The hoods were designed by legendary custom car builder and designer Chip Foose. He enlisted the help of Swedish artist Ray Hill to create the 11 hoods (which, according to Chip, each have a hidden Mickey in their designs). You may recall my fellow Disney Parks Blog author Kathy Mangum discussed the work that Chip and his team did for Cars Land. Apparently, I wasn’t the only one impressed with his work. Julie Young, Product Developer for pins, told me that one car hood in particular served as inspiration for a new limited edition pin set arriving August 2.
    [​IMG]
    “I first saw an image of the ‘Ramone’s’ car hood during a meeting about Cars Land construction,” explained Julie. “As soon as I saw the image, I thought it would make a great pin. For many pins I develop, I like adding characters to the artwork. These 11 car hoods, however, don’t feature characters, as I think they are iconic enough to be their own characters.”

Julie worked with artist John Henselmeier to create the pin artwork inspired by car hoods. You may recall John from recent discussions about the merchandise he designed for the 30th Anniversary of Epcot. I think my favorite hood is the one pictured in the top row, third from the left. The colors used for that one are beautiful!
    [​IMG]

The set will be released at Ramone’s House of Body Art, Radiator Springs Curios and Elias & Co. in Disney California Adventure park, and at Disney’s Pin Traders in the Downtown Disney District. The set has an edition size of 500 and a retail of $165.00.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  2. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

MOD'S please Delete this reply.. (taptalk wont allow me to delete it for some reason)

Thanks!

3. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

[​IMG]

For those of you who are making the “Road Trip to California” next week for the pin release and signing, and for those of you who weren’t able to hitch a ride… here’s your first look at the next set of pins, set to release August 17. Themed to “A Car Show at Disneyland,” this collection of pins will range from characters like Tinker Bell, Oswald, Jessica Rabbit, Dumbo, Woody, Buzz, Sulley and the Yeti, to an array of pins idolizing hood ornaments, trophies and keys.

I asked Disney Design Group artists Ron Cohee and Mike Sullivan for their thoughts on this new collection and here’s what they had to say:

“As a big Pixar fan, I really enjoyed working on these pins,” says Ron. “The pins are based on the scenes shown at the drive-in theater during the end credits of the film ‘Cars,’ where snippets of classics tell a different tale like ‘Toy Car Story,’ ‘A Bug’s Life,’ and ‘Monster Trucks, Inc.’ In this automotive universe, the Buzz Lightyear car is a Space Ranger Lunar Rover, Flik is – as you know – a ‘Bug’ and the Yeti is, of course, an abominable snowplow.”

[​IMG]

Mike went on to share that it was their extensive research of different styles of cars that led to the designs. “I wanted each car to tie back to its owner. For example, Mickey’s car is a double ‘M,’ while Minnie’s car is based off the shape of her shoes. But it was when I was doing the illustration for the car show pin set,” says Mike, “that I decided I wanted to crank things up a notch, so I incorporated the iconic cars from the classic Disney and Pixar films with theme park attractions. A few that we consider trophy-worthy are Cruella’s Roadster, the Mayor-mobile from ‘Tim Burton’s The Nightmare Before Christmas’ and the Incredimobile, among others.”
    :
    There are about 15 pins in all, and while I can’t show you all of them, we will have the entire collection posted on www.DisneyPins.com. For those of you joining us at Disneyland Trading Night on June 29 at Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel, keep your eyes peeled for a look under the hood at more of these pins scheduled to release this summer.

[​IMG]

Just like last time, these pins will be part of an online wristband opportunity. The entry period is July 25 –August 8, so don’t miss out. Those selected will have the opportunity to purchase the pins on the morning of August 17 at Disney’s Pin Traders. Tip: On August 17, Ron and Mike will be on hand for a special appearance and signing from 9-11 a.m. at Disney’s Pin Traders, and they will appear again later that evening from 7-10 p.m. as part of Trading Night at Disney’s Paradise Pier Hotel.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  4. Lil32

Lil32

Flying over in the next few days to attend LA Roadster Show.What is the waiting time now to see the Cars Show. Someone told me it is still a 2 to 3 hour wait. Any help would be appreciated.

5. 69f100

69f100
    from So-Cal

actually just went there yesterday for grad night, i know the lines were semi short but it was only an hour wait. that being said, it was worth it to go on the radiator springs ride, the rest of the shops and things to see were pretty much just open, no real lines to stand in, went on the luigis tire ride and only waited ten minutes, it was a great experience.

6. mike in tucson

mike in tucson
    from Tucson

there is an app called MouseWait that has each ride at DisneyLand and the current wait time....it is based upon people contributing their input so it is sometimes a bit off due to lack of inputs

7. Mousewait is the HAMB for Disney folk.

8. A tip on the cars ride. yes, it is usually a 1 to 2 hour wait, but if you get in the single rider line, you won't wait more than 15 minutes. So, if you don't need to ride together with your group, it saves a hell of a lot of time.

9. Lil32

Lil32

Thanks, when gates opened we raced to the Cars ride and grabbed a fast pass but still had to wait 4 hours before we came back to ride, in the meantime we rode all the other Cars rides. The Cars ride was great.

10. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I was just out there for the LARS and brought the family along for a few days in Disneyland, The Radiator Springs ride is great, the line was an hour and a half, I read this thread previously and took Dean's advice,we all got in the single rider line and rode in about 15-20 minutes. Thanks Dean !

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

11. My pleasure Bubba! If someone in your group is in a wheelchair or mobility scooter, it's better yet. Use the single rider line and when you get up to the cattle chutes they send you to the left, and there is a special boarding area for handicapped. The handicapped person and up to three people with them board together.

12. nailhead_brent

nailhead_brent

Does anyone know if the Doc Hudson print by Max Grundy is available online anywhere? I regret not buying one at the park last year because we just found out we are having a baby boy and his name will be Hudson.

13. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

I regret not buying one back in August when we were there. Our son is also named Hudson.

Congrats!

Also: Single Rider Line is where its at for Radiator Springs Racers. At peak we waited 20min. Usually less than 10. And this was in August.

14. That is a cool picture. A buddy of mine also just had boy they named Hudson. His name is Brent too.

15. My family and I are traveling back to LA in late March - I've been waiting years for this!