Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 32 steering box in 32 frame

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by steve185, Dec 31, 2013.

1. steve185

steve185

Is anyone using the original box? I have one I can use. Any insight?
    Thanks
    Steve

2. gonzo

gonzo

Supposedly the 32 box is inferior to the later ones due to no rolling sector gear. I'd like to hear form some people that have used both.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I've read here to rebuild them with 1934 guts. I think Baxter Ford does this.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Andy

Andy

I rebuilt mine with the 1934 15 to 1 gears. It is much better than the 1932 13 to 1 gears. Still not a great box. Steering effort is fine but a little quick at high speeds. I am convering to a F-100 box.

5. jimvette59

jimvette59

I put a steering damper on my 34 with a reversed Corvair steering box in the original position. Worked for me.

6. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

two things going against using a `32 box, fixed sector and 13:1 steering ratio. both these things will require more steering effort, upgrading to `34 parts will yield a better steering ratio [15:1] but still wind up with a fixed sector. in a light car it might be alright, in a heavier car it might get old.
    tom

7. 32phil

32phil
    from New York

I have a 32 box in a 32 Brookville roadster on an original frame, flathead, no fenders. Pretty light car. Steers ok (note lower case letters). You MUST go through the adjustments in the 32 Service Bulletins to get it set up properly. I have a F1 box in a 32 2 door sedan. Pretty heavy car, fenders, lotsa glass, bumpers etc. Steers GREAT ( note the upper case letters). Feels like power steering. Eventually I will put a F1 box in the roadster.

8. steve185

steve185

I guess I will pass on the original box. Does the f 100 box use the same mounting holes? What year truck do I get the f 100 box for?
    I want to get the steering box mounted before I weld in my engine mounts.
    Thanks Steve

9. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I use the 56 Ford pickup box and it works fine. You need to purchase and adapter or modify the stock mounting bracket. Here are some photos.

Attached Files:

10. Andy

Andy

35 is 15 and 36 is 17.
    The parts do not interchange with the earlier boxes.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  11. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

I'm planning on using a nice 32 box in my 5w build. It's one I have had that came with other parts I bought otherwise I wouldn't have used one. I'm certain it will be a little hard steering, but it's a hotrod. . If I was buying a box, it would be a f1 or f100. I used a 37 cross steer box in my model a, it steers nice.

12. Andy

Andy

I did try. I bought some RHD gears. The problem is that the later sector shafts are shorter. The RHD gears were needed so the box would not be reversed.

13. steve185

steve185

Thanks for the pics. Who sells the adapter plate?
    Steve

14. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

Vern Tardell.

15. Hi Steve

I have driven a few rodded 32 Roadsters with the original box and I didn't find them overly heavy or the steering "too" quick

If you decide to replace your 32 box, there are two common side steer boxes people use

The 48 thru 51 F-1 truck box, or the 53 thru 56 F100 box

Both are a good fit in a 32, but which one is best varies depending on engine clearance.

An F-100 box has the steering shaft exit above the sector shaft like the original 32 box, but is a larger and sometimes has starter clearance issues.

An F-1 box has the steering shaft exit below the sector shaft and that is sometimes a problem solver on clearance

Neither box is a bolt in, as the bracket is parralel to the vehicle centreline in an F-1 and F-100, but of course a 32 has chassis rails that aren't paralel

Two choices ...... you can buy a "wedge" that goes between the box and the chassis to make the angles match, but clearances are tight, or you can cut the flange off the box and fit a complete new flange.

Do a search here, lots of good how to

16. TV

TV

We have put needle brgs. in my sons box and several others, and with proper adjustment they work great.--TV

17. V8RPU

V8RPU
    from Nor Cal

I have stock 32 box with 34 15:1 ratio gears in my 32 fenderless flathead powered roadster. The car steers fine. The steering is quick and positive, the effort not too heavy. It has a direct feel, not isolated and remote like modern power steering. If you like the feel of the road and a direct connection between steering wheel and the pavement you will like this combination. My fendered 3W has a Hudson box which is very similar to the F1 Ford box. The effort is significantly easier. The drawback is a somewhat non linear feel to the steering input to the the response of he tires to the road. There is more impact from road roughness, bumps etc. to the quicker 32 box.

18. nice read guys...thanks....all the best in the new year....

19. Rem

Rem

A friend used a '56 F100 box in his Roadster, and I pressed the '32 shaft into the F100 worm gear so he could use the '32 column, drop, wheel, etc. Don't recall if the F100 column was longer or shorter, but it has a splined top, not the early Ford taper and key for the wheel.

Hotrodjohn71 likes this.
  20. Hudson Conversion - Another Option:

I'm having Neal Jennings build a 37 Hudson conversion for my 32 - everybody I know that has his stuff is really pleased with it. He is setting it up to use the stock 32 light rod/switch setup, column, etc.. It is not an inexpensive conversion, but I wanted to have a better setup than the stock 32 (which I'm not a big fan off).

I ran my 34 coupe with a stock 34 setup - can't say that I really liked it either (even at 15 - 1). But I had a 12" steering wheel on it too! :rolleyes:

Guess we'll see how this Hudson setup works out - once the car is on the road, I'll report back.

Here are comments from Neal:

With the Hudson style boxes the sector housing has to extend through the frame. The original hole is 1-1/4 and has to be opened up to 1-7/8". The scanned page from the SR article shows the opened up hole in the frame and how the box looks installed. I know that fact has been a deal breaker with others in your situation. Others decide that they would rather enjoy driving their car and feel that out weighs the frame modification. That decision is up to you.

Attached is pic of a typical steering box before assembly. I use only excellent original, NOS, NORS, or new parts when available.

As far as the steering improvement I could put you in touch with a few (Dickie Burke, Tim Thompson, Dan Webb, Chris Swenson, among others) that have installed the boxes in their cars. The ratio is 17:1, vs stock 13:1, so steering effort is much improved. The car will steer much smoother and easier at low speeds...which can be difficult with a stock 32 box.

Here are some pictures of his work:

DSCN6863.JPG

Hudson Original Style.JPG

Hudson Steering - Hot Rod Style.JPG

Street Rodder Article p144.jpg

Happy New Year to All!

B&S

21. I run a 32 box (13:1) in my 32 and I'm happy, it works fine but I would recommend two upgrades. 1) Use bearings on the sector instead of bushings - this will require machining but is worth it. 2) Replace the top rubber bushing in the column tube with one that has a bronze insert - available from MACS or a more expensive bearing.
    After I installed the redone box I don't feel there is a need to run anything else, plus it's nice to keep things as original as possible.

KKrod and 303racer like this.
  22. KKrod

KKrod

I also run a 32 box in my 32 and I'm happy with it. It has a nice direct feel. I have put about 10,000 miles on it. I have 6.00 X 16 front tires which helps reduce the steering effort. Like the others I am planning to put in an F-100 box when I make some upgrades on the car.
    Karl Knecht

23. gonzo

gonzo

I haven't used one myself but I am planning to. To me a moderate decrease in performance is worth some ease of installation and having a part that looks right at home in the chassis. I'm glad to hear from all those that have, and are actually running them. Helps to separate the facts from fiction.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

24. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

After a bunch of research, I have decided I want a 13:1 '32 box for my coupester. I actually bought a '54/'56 f100 box already, but have come to the conclusion that it will be too slow for what I am building, and will not suit the overall "race-car like" feel I am striving for. Increased steering effort doesnt bother me in the least, and as has been said here, want a more direct, linear feel than the pu box can provide.
    I wish I wasn't so damned broke (tis the season), I'd make the O/P an offer.

25. I'm running original 32 steering box in my 32 coupe, works fine not heavy at all, I wanted to use it so I could retain the original headlight switch.