Register now to get rid of these ads!

Where from is this engine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Puli-Song, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Puli-Song

Puli-Song
    from Finland

Do you have some idea where this is from? The first I thought, that this might be Continental? There is a lot of same than ´28 Pontiac, but not exact. I couldn't find any pics from early Chrysler engine - could it be Mopar of 20's? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. 327Eric

327Eric

Gm. mid 20's. possibly an Oakland

3. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can't identify it, but the flathead I6 Continetal engine did have a large spacing between cylinders 3 and 4 like that one has. If it is a Continental engine, it might be difficult to determine what it came out of because apparently, it was installed in over 120 different makes!

Complete list of all makes that used the Continental engine:
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...oIGgDQ&usg=AFQjCNHlJQQbbcXoxV-6SYa9Z4G0P0wFiw

4. 327Eric

327Eric

The date code cast into the side of the block is the same as for later engines,etc.(if is is G.M) There should be a casting date on the block, and on top of the transmission near the front. Oakland was Pontiacs"BigBrother" so to speak, which would explain the similarities. There is a 1925 Oakland engine and transmission where I work, and the Bellhousig, starter and transmission look the same. I'll get a photo when I get back

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  5. The37Kid

The37Kid

Always fun to see how fast things get ID here on the HAMB. Happy New Year everyone. Bob

6. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Few more pics would help. It doesn't look like the Continental I pulled from a 25 Moon, but I have found a lot of variations in those motors due to the large number of applications they were used in. A Continental should have a tag ( or at least rivets where the tag was) on the other side. Most (but not all) would have the valves and ports on the side shown.

7. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:D IIRC.They were also used in marine applications.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

8. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

I recall Continentals having the distributor on top going through the head. If that's the distributor on the side, it's on the opposite side from the camshaft.

9. Puli-Song

Puli-Song
    from Finland

Thanks a lot for everyone. This photo is the only what I have (yet). Next february I go and fetch it to my "ranch" :). Then I have possibility to take some more pics. I need engine to my ´27 REO, so I belive it's close enough? The most of people can't see different?

10. J.C. Andersson

J.C. Andersson

Since you are from Finland, can it be a Swedish engine? Volvo EC?

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

What are you going to do with it, Yoda? Gary

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Looks like it could also be a later post WWII flathead marine engine like Chriscraft, Gray Marine, etc. Looks a lot like the Chriscraft (Hercules) early 50's flathead six.

13. Puli-Song

Puli-Song
    from Finland

There is lot of same than Volvo EC engine, but the distributor comes trough head in Volvo. Chriscraft and Hercules looks like 50´n Mopar flathead.

14. 327Eric

327Eric

Here is a 1925 Oakland Engine[​IMG]

15. 327Eric

327Eric

16. 327Eric

327Eric

17. 327Eric

327Eric

here is the last. Sorry for the huge pictures. I look at this thing every day. It was used to power an old saw mill where i work in the 30's and later.[​IMG]

18. Looks like the same transmission on both

19. Puli-Song

Puli-Song
    from Finland

That's correct!!! Thanks a lot Eric! You made my day!! :)

20. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

damn gary :D...thinking same thing, I was.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  21. whtbaron

whtbaron
    from manitoba

Not all Continentals had them on top... this gets back to my comment about them having many many applications, some in cars, boats, ag applications, industrial applications etc. When looking at just the automotive ones I found some with distributors on top, some left side, some right side. Water pumps can be located up front in the center, up front on the side, mid block or right at the back by the bellhousing (like my Moon). I've also seen them with short water manifolds for the coolant discharge or long, ports on the left or the right, 4 cyl,, 6 cyl, or 8, usually with flat heads, but also overhead valves. You have to remember that the first motors were constructed back around 1904 and newer models were sold right up until the late 50's or early 60's. There are a lot of variations and strange numbering systems that makes them hard to spot easily.