Register now to get rid of these ads!

my 65 Chevy swb step side on going driving project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anti-Ricer, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Anti-Ricer

Anti-Ricer

My names Justin and im from lenoir city TN. I have a swb 65 chevy step side with a 350. It's appearance would fool you as what it has going for it but the motor is from late model Chevy with the Center bolt valve covers.it has a late model fuse box,brand new radiator with Electric fan.unlike most cars/trucks im owned this one isn't ran to a toggle switch/battery.it has a relay and temp sensors.has a oil cooler,Trans cooler.it's a real driver kinda truck

Here's my plans for the truck.it's not a ratrod but has some things in common with one. IM going to fix all the rust and do it right.

Flat black the right way with a satin red top.red rims, lowered,All the rust repaired,wooden bed with chrome strips,gas tank relocated to rear frame with the gas cap out the inside bed.going to use something like the vetts had or air plane cap,going to lose the van seats for a tuck and roll bench seat or throw a Mexican blanket over a bench seat and do it like a ratrod. Do some pin stripes on the back tell gate after getting it smoothed out and a roll pan on the rear. Relocate the tail lights in the bed some how with leds. I'd like to make the exhaust exit from the sides on the humps on the bed.clean up the engine bay some. I'm still looking for a place that sells parts for the truck.I thought year one did but I was wrong sadly. I did however find classicindustrial.com and lmc. Im looking for a legit place that sells parts for a reasonable price.I'm going to have a lot more questions IF SOMEONE COULD FIND A PIC similar to the project WANT TO DO WITH THE RED TOP AND ALL CAN YOU PLEASE POST IT'S PIC.I'M LOOKED EVERYWHERE AND HAVEN'T FOUND ANYTHING

[​IMG]

RANDOM QUESTIONS
    can someone post a pic with the above mods on a similar truck so I can have a idea of what it's going to look like.I have looked and looked but havent had any luck finding one.

can anyone tell me if all 60-66 doors are the same because my passenger door is pretty much gone as a matter of fact what all does interchange

II got that I need a 71-72 rear end for a direct bolt on swap for a 5 lug.
    I got that I need 67-72 front rotors for the 5 lugs but Im confused a little.does the drums have the studs on it because if it doesn't then I'll have to change more things then just the rotors .
    That's all I have for now but I'll have more later lol thanks for the help

2. oldskewl

oldskewl

I've always loved step-sides. Would love to see what someone can find for you in terms of pics.

3. 1959apache

1959apache

Classicparts.com is where I get my parts. If you want to turn this into a ratrod then this isn't the forum for you. Here ratrod is a bad word. This site is for authentic hot rodding, it is for folks who keep the hot rod tradition alive. From the sound of it, it appears you are going for a traditional custom. Use tha word instead. The doors you can use are only 64 and 66. A lot of your answers can be found looking at the classic parts web page as far as compatibility. Google the differences between 60-66 and you will be fine

4. Anti-Ricer

Anti-Ricer

I don't want to make a ratrod sure maybe the color but everything else is going to be I guess prostreet with some protour.im going to fix the rust and everything else that looks ratty on the truck.it won't be a show anything either it's going to be a driver like they done back in the day.build it like they wanted and drive it

5. 5559

from tn

you will have to take it apart to do this - but the complete front suspension from a 71-87 c10 will bolt in . You can buy an adapter to mount the later power steering too.Change the master cyl & brake booster and you'll have ps pdb 5-lug conversion all at the same time

6. badshifter

badshifter

Rat rod pro tour pro street late model engine electric fan........
    You know you're on the HAMB right? None of that was done "back in the day".

7. Anti-Ricer

Anti-Ricer

Im about function and drivability more than what someone done 50 years ago.it will look the part just perform better.if they would've had our technology they would have done the same thing

8. Jrockbass

Jrockbass

These guys are located in Iowa and have a ton of parts for these trucks. Also, I've had good experiences with Classicparts.com
    http://stlouis.craigslist.org/pts/3815021488.htm I have basically the same truck in a lwb. Been a lot of fun.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

9. Anti-Ricer

Anti-Ricer

I just found out my truck has a 02 vortec 350 from a boat. It's rated at 305HP and 355lb lg tq.I don't know much about boat motors but I heard the block casting are stronger and that they have forged inters.I also googled the ahooka horn and it's a original one from 1909-1927 and it works great.

10. Anti-Ricer

Anti-Ricer

Today I'm going to remove the bed and mess with the steering.my truck is a great driver but it has one problem the steering.you have to turn it around a mile before it actually turns.plus the steering column is from a 80s chevy which doesn't fit the theme of the truck at all.other than that its a great driver.I believe ill start driving it until I get everything to start working on it.im seriously thinking about robbing the steering box and everything else from a 80s chevy truck.it seems pretty straight forward.so look for me around lenoir city tn lol

11. Anti-Ricer

Anti-Ricer

12. Cool Truck - Don't take it all apart at once - keep it in running condition go slow and do upgrades as you can afford it - see all the unfinished projects for sale everywhere? they started out like yours or better and ended up basket cases because its "CHEAP" to take apart but going back together? is another story (lotsa $$$$ and time).

13. Anti-Ricer

Anti-Ricer

That's good advice sir.id like to enjoy the truck for the summer then as winter comes really start working on it.like I said its a really a good driver.it's looks would have you thinking differently but all the running gear is late model stuff.you turn the key it fires right up like a new car.if it wasn't for the steering being so out of wack id drive it now.I would like to find a 99-up Chevy seat that has the seat belt built in so my kid could ride with me.also putting the tank in the frame is at the top of my list alone with bleeding the breaking and maybe adding power breaks depending on how hard it is

14. rustyangels

rustyangels

My 65 C10 is my only driver,low budget... 327, SM465 trans with overdrive, drum brakes 67 master cyl, stock steering column, early 90's bench seat, same exterior as yours

15. Anti-Ricer

Anti-Ricer

Cars of yester day have personality and style that todays cars and trucks just don't have now a days.you drive a old vehicle around people notice you .itw not just another cookie cutter you see everyday.

16. sntos63

sntos63

Hook it up the way your heart desires and FTW. It's yours not theirs. You can check out the 60-66 Chevy truck forum on 67-72 Chevrolet/gmc trucks.com for some really good advise from guys who are all about these trucks. Good stuff! Hope to see some cool pics as you go!

TRADITION NEVER DIES!